Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If Ryan Lindgren is back on the top pair again it’s going to be a problem. Just from a pure usage standpoint Lindgren is a bigger detriment than Trouba. It’s time to get Fox a capable partner. No more of this hamstringing our best defenseman.

I think if you put him between play drivers like Panarin and Lafreniere who dont want to get back on D as much, you'll see all 3 be effective. If Mika wants to commit to defense, let him. He will score 80 points on accident playing with those 2
That’s not going to work. Panarin needs a center who is going to dig out pucks, play down low on the wall and then attack the middle to open up seams for him. There’s a reason he and Zibanejad have always been underwhelming together. Their playstyles do not mesh.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Florida didn't change the matchups, they let him just dunk on Mika Zibanejad LMAO

Barkov saw more of Zibanejad in every road game.

Paul Maurice looked at that matchup and said "I'll have two, one with cheese."

That should tell you something about Zibanejad's defense.

Literally the first thing Maurice did when the series came to Florida was to change the matchups. He decided to ice Barkov away from Mikas line.

And you cant tell me with a straight face that Mika is bad at defence.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Barkov literally doubled his shot totals AND started producing points as soon as he was matched against Trocheck instead of Mika. Trocheck had a good year offensively but dude is garbage when defending.
I don’t this Trocheck is “garbage” defensively but IMO Zibanejad is better in the own zone.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If Ryan Lindgren is back on the top pair again it’s going to be a problem. Just from a pure usage standpoint Lindgren is a bigger detriment than Trouba. It’s time to get Fox a capable partner. No more of this hamstringing our best defenseman.

That’s not going to work. Panarin needs a center who is going to dig out pucks, play down low on the wall and then attack the middle to open up seams for him. There’s a reason he and Zibanejad have always been underwhelming together. Their playstyles do not mesh.

They've really never played together for more than a few games and when the line gets jumbled in game. Id be willing to give it a real shot next year. Just like they finally gave Laf a real shot on the right after avoiding it for years.

I don’t this Trocheck is “garbage” defensively but IMO Zibanejad is better in the own zone.

Defensive metrics dont really make sense to me. What I look for in a good defensive player is effort, and actually caring about and being willing to play defense is 90% of the battle. Both guys want it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Literally the first thing Maurice did when the series came to Florida was to change the matchups. He decided to ice Barkov away from Mikas line.

And you cant tell me with a straight face that Mika is bad at defence.
Offense and defense isn't really a binary. Mika isn't that good at 5v5, full stop.

Maurice definitely didn't hide Barkov from him in Florida. The minutes tell us it didn't happen.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I wouldn't mind, like, a Kevin Klein type who can get shots on net 5v5 but I worry about Zadorov getting to the offensive zone to begin with.

Could it work with Fox moving the puck for him? Sure.

But I want to embrace what Fox is truly strong at and let somebody else shuttle the puck for him.

We're trying to use him like Cale Makar but he's Nick Lidstrom.
Ah, Mohawk Klein. I f***ing loved him as a Ranger. Brought good defence, could carry the puck up ice and even lay down the law when needed.

You know who could shuttle the puck for Fox? Jones.

Maybe "garbage" is a tad bit harsh but he is not on Mikas level in the own zone.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I’m sorry you feel that way after they lost to the presumptive Stanley cup champs. I’m not going to stop watching games so I’m not going to get caught up in the “this core is rotten” narrative. Only one team wins every year and it wasn’t that long ago that Tampa or Vegas had a core who couldn’t win after some late exits.
I never said I'd stop watching. You're always an eternal optimist when it comes to the team & I respect that, but I just happen to disagree. The Rangers are in a really unique situation because their best forwards are also their biggest problem in the playoffs.

Panarin was marvelous during the regular season & honestly it was a joy to watch. After last years playoffs & a couple of seasons of disappearing acts in big games during the previous regular seasons, he had something to prove. I honestly didn't think he would bounce back like that. However, it's pretty obvious, he is who is he at this point when it comes to the playoffs. He's not the same without time & space nor he create separation for himself when the intensity ratchets up.

Mika on the other hand is a total f***ing enigma that unfortunately we are just stuck with for 6 more seasons. There is nothing positive I can say about his game right now & frankly he's the biggest problem moving forward. He's a 1C who contributes like a 3C at even strength & his play during the majority of the Carolina series & the entire Florida series was alarming. There's no realistic solution removing him from the roster, so we just have to deal with him..which is why I'm down on the core long term.

Like it or not, these two players represent a huge part of the core & this is why I don't see them with a realistic cup chance while they're both here. Which is why it's incumbent upon Drury to improve the roster by moving out the other problem kids that he can actually deal like Trouba, Lindgren, Goodrow & Kakko. They should be able to bring in PMD & top 6 RW with the assets & the cap space. Hopefully we can fill some holes in the bottom 6 from Hartford. It's the best we can hope for & maybe we find lightening in a bottle.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

Rangers need bulk up and get to the paint.

Brooks expects a major move.

Trouba and his wife. He has a 15 team no trade clause.

Four takeaways:

1) Mollie and Larry made mention of speaking with Laviolette today. Does anyone have information on an upcoming presser with Laviolette and Drury today?

2) Boyle talked about moving Lindgren in a hypothetical deal to Vegas for a bigger body defenseman.

3) Larry is correct along with other Media and former players that the team needs to get bigger and onerous.

4) my take is that a system was put in place my Knoblaugh and continued by Smith where the Wolf Pack’s four lines all played the same way in the O-Zone.
One man down low, another along the weak half wall and the third forward right on top of the opposing goalie.
Jake Leschyshyn
Brian Berard
Anton Blidh
Karl Henriksson
Riley Nash
Rempe and Edstrom when they were there all stood at the top of the paint. Some of those players are not big men yet they bought into the system and those that didn’t found themselves in an out of the lineup. Drury and Martin are building a culture in Hartford; hopefully they are not replaced before we get to reap the benefits of that culture.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Jake DeBrusk. The Rangers and Bruins discussed a Chytil for DeBrusk trade two years ago. DeBrusk is a free agent. Still a young player at 27. He is a left handed shooter. The Rangers might revisit DeBrusk in free agency. The Rangers need another top six winger.

Not against that but would prefer a guy with higher upside if he's going to play in the top 6. I think he's a pretty perfect fit as a 3rd line player. I think that was his gripe in Boston though.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Jake DeBrusk. The Rangers and Bruins discussed a Chytil for DeBrusk trade two years ago. DeBrusk is a free agent. Still a young player at 27. He is a left handed shooter. The Rangers might revisit DeBrusk in free agency. The Rangers need another top six winger.

If this is their plan to give Mika and Kreider a more permanent fixture on the right its the wrong kind of player.

If you want to add juice to your 3rd line, it's a great fit but probably not worth what ever he's going to cost.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Like it or not, these two players represent a huge part of the core & this is why I don't see them with a realistic cup chance while they're both here.
I dont agree with this. Even though Florida carried the game the games were so close goal wise that with a little more puck luck Rangers would have been preparing for the SCF instead of Panthers. Neither Dallas or Edmonton would have been able to stop this team.

Mika was inches from having 3-4 goals in the series. Hitting the bar twice, wiffing on open nets. Those convert and we all would be having another discussion right now.

We are close and I think this team is a couple of tweaks away from glory.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Cuylle hit the rookie wall 3/4s of the way through the season. 82 games plus playoffs is usually twice as much hockey as these guys have ever played before. Just want to make sure everyone’s expectations next year for Berard and Othmann are within reason.
I mean, expectations for berard and othmann should be not seeing them in the NY. Othmann isnt remotely close to being ready, berard is closer but could use some seasoning. Cuylle was light years ahead of them going into last summer

Reactions: Crease

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dont agree with this. Even though Florida carried the game the games were so close goal wise that with a little more puck luck Rangers would have been preparing for the SCF instead of Panthers. Neither Dallas or Edmonton would have been able to stop this team.

Mika was inches from having 3-4 goals in the series. Hitting the bar twice, wiffing on open nets. Those convert and we all would be having another discussion right now.

Well pretty significant tweaks I’d say.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Another guy who wouldn’t be a good fit on Kreider and Zibanejads right wing.

Reactions: Ail

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Unless that right wing is capable of getting the puck through the neutral zone with 100% efficiency, there are still problems.
I believe Mika is capable of carrying the puck into the ozone just fine. The problem is that right now, as soon as he nears the blueline his mind is already thinking defence and where he should position himself to be in the right spot for a defencive back check.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Especially you when it comes to Zibs, but even if those shots go in, the bottom line is we were outplayed for the majority of games 3-6 & it wasn't pretty. Zibs was a huge part it... no goals in the last 11 games, he was a turnover machine & constantly making poor decisions with the puck. I recall at least a dozen times he missed the net from a bad angle that resulted in the puck deflecting off the glass exiting the zone, killing momentum.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you're someone who can have a rational discussion about Mika that isn't skewed because of your bias for him, so anything that is said which remotely criticizes him, you jump all over without looking at the bigger picture. I applaud your passion & loyalty to the player, but I just happen to see it differently.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I don't think there is a good one. It's a non-starter. It's already two guys who don't really make sense together.
That’s another discussion that can be had but we both know those two will be attached at the hip going forward. Might as well tailor the conversation around that. There are certain requirements for that spot, but that absolute necessity is that player has to be a good passer. Otherwise forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad