Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Hate to break it to anyone who's willing to listen.

Brady alone is not going to make much of a difference.

We need a 3rd line capable of offense, we need guys that skate better than Goodrow, Kakko, Vesey.

Guys tjat can make plays in tight spaces, preferably between the circles and in front of the net.

We need guys that other teams hate to play against because we make life physically miserable for opposi gnteams.

Domi is a poser, want nothing to do with him unless he takes the Wheeler deal.

I'd go after David Perron. He's a royal prick to play against.

We understand that but where do you start then? We have to start somewhere to become that type of team. We have the players coming up in the system bc of Drury, but why can’t we start to add those pieces and become that type of team. It’s starts with one move and then the next.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We understand that but where do you start then? We have to start somewhere to become that type of team. We have the players coming up in the system bc of Drury, but why can’t we start to add those pieces and become that type of team. It’s starts with one move and then the next.
We need to start with the defense.

Let's get rid of the guys who are obviously just f***ing terrible, and then we can accurately assess the style we can play and what we still need to add.

We don't need to get another expensive winger and put him in front of a bottom-5 defense corps.

It all starts with your defense. Nobody looks like they have snarl sitting in their own zone getting hit the whole game.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
That's the thing, people keep selling him to me as a guy that drags you into the fight, but he can't even get his team into the playoffs. On paper, Ottawa's not that bad a team. Serious questions should be asked as to why they can't win.

I think he has a lot to do with it. People want the player Brady Tkachuk is when he's on. He's not on a lot, and with every slight bit of adversity, he prefers to complain and act like a clown, rather than do the hard things he needs to do to succeed in a hard situation.

Their play styles are very different, but mentally, he has the same bad habits Zibanejad does. He has his niche. He's unwilling to deviate from it and he gets shaken easily.

Eh, i think its a bit unfair to blame Ottawa's failures on him. Terrible ownership and GM decisions in previous years were a big part. Tying the wagon to Korpisalo as their starter torpedo'd Ottawa's season before it even began

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eh, i think its a bit unfair to blame Ottawa's failures on him. Terrible ownership and GM decisions in previous years were a big part. Tying the wagon to Korpisalo as their starter torpedo'd Ottawa's season before it even began
Based on what people are telling me he is, it's not unfair.

He's being propped up as a culture-changing player.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The fact Trouba is captain is going to make anything and everything harder with him. It is beyond savage to buyout the team captain. It is a weird look to trade the team captain, let alone trade him and retain money. I know that people will scoff those things off but they are real. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it is a VERY complicating factor.

Regarding lindgren, I think the comparisons to staal and girardi are unfair. Lindgren does not have offense in his game but he provides more than either of those two guys did, and for a team of vanilla players he stands out as someone with some actual bite and pushback. There is also a consideration to who he plays with. Most say that because he plays with fox it makes him look better, I would also suggest that people consider if how he plays helps make fox better/more comfortable to play the way he wants to. He trusts Lindgren and whenever he has been paired with others he has been noticeably worse. If someone can name a legit upgrade to lindgren that is obtainable I will hear it, but that player was hanafin and he is gone. You don't dump lindgren bc you want to upgrade him without actually having an upgrade. There is room to sign him and less than max term and get good years out of him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The fact Trouba is captain is going to make anything and everything harder with him. It is beyond savage to buyout the team captain. It is a weird look to trade the team captain, let alone trade him and retain money. I know that people will scoff those things off but they are real. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it is a VERY complicating factor.
We traded our captain in 2014 right before the best three months of Rangers hockey I've ever watched in my life.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
That's the thing, people keep selling him to me as a guy that drags you into the fight, but he can't even get his team into the playoffs. On paper, Ottawa's not that bad a team. Serious questions should be asked as to why they can't win.

I think he has a lot to do with it. People want the player Brady Tkachuk is when he's on. He's not on a lot, and with every slight bit of adversity, he prefers to complain and act like a clown, rather than do the hard things he needs to do to succeed in a hard situation.

Their play styles are very different, but mentally, he has the same bad habits Zibanejad does. He has his niche. He's unwilling to deviate from it and he gets shaken easily.

Maybe that’s true, I’m not sure, but would it be any less maddening than zibs putting in 3 goals in 2 games and then disappearing for 7 game stretch? At least Brady would be taking the body, and going to the net, and trying to make things happen. We have yet to see that with panarin or zibs. He may feel Ike that way and I would get it, just like eichel, being sick and tired of losing and your franchise being unable to do anything to help. I’d be bitching and asking out too lol.

But seriously, I do see it as an organizational issue, not a captain issue, it’s the team, how they are constructed, they can’t get any free agents, it’s not a destination and they’ve always sucked. I’m sorry but their team is not good.

I’m not advocating for or against brady , but the changes have to start somewhere.

We need to start with the defense.

Let's get rid of the guys who are obviously just f***ing terrible, and then we can accurately assess the style we can play and what we still need to add.

We don't need to get another expensive winger and put him in front of a bottom-5 defense corps.

It all starts with your defense. Nobody looks like they have snarl sitting in their own zone getting hit the whole game.

Oh I completely agree. Trouba has to go. Lindgren can stay if he plays 3rd pair with jones if not then he can go too.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

The main reason Ottawa can win if that their goaltending is garbage. That's not a problem here.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about a Farabee for Kakko basis for a deal? Farabee was scratched this season and doesn't get along with Torts. Signed for 4 more years @ $5m. perhaps Kakko goes to a more grinding team with Torts and excels.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Lets be honest with ourselves and realize the Rangers probably missed the boat bigtime by not snapping up Eichel. That's if he truly was available to the Rangers for some combo of Kakko as the centerpiece and other prospects/picks(not including Laffy). When a player like that comes available, you need to spring into action to secure him.
Rumor was that their GM wouldn't trade him here, but who knows how true that is.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Based on what people are telling me he is, it's not unfair.

He's being propped up as a culture-changing player.
it's just straw man after straw man with this guy lol

first and foremost, he is a GOOD hockey player. Eye test and analytics. borderline dominant 5v5.

That's your starting point, that's why people want him in the top 6.

Second - the way he plays with snarl and edge and pesky swagger. Will get in your face, will get in the goalies grill. Wants the smoke. We definitely need more of this in the top 6.

There's no expectation that he's going to single-handedly change a culture. He'll be expected to play his game and that's his contribution to team culture.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe that’s true, I’m not sure, but would it be any less maddening than zibs putting in 3 goals in 2 games and then disappearing for 7 game stretch? At least Brady would be taking the body, and going to the net, and trying to make things happen. We have yet to see that with panarin or zibs. He may feel Ike that way and I would get it, just like eichel, being sick and tired of losing and your franchise being unable to do anything to help. I’d be bitching and asking out too lol.

But seriously, I do see it as an organizational issue, not a captain issue, it’s the team, how they are constructed, they can’t get any free agents, it’s not a destination and they’ve always sucked. I’m sorry but their team is not good.

I’m not advocating for or against brady , but the changes have to start somewhere.
He's lazier than you think he is. He takes his football and goes home for long stretches and is one of the worst defensive players in the NHL. This is not Mark Stone willing the Celts against the English.

I do see the overall issue you're describing, and I think it's simple: we just don't have any dominant players.

We hitched our wagon to guys that all have a niche. Zibanejad has a way to score points, but he's just not that good, and he has to kind of cheat/do specific things to keep scoring points. He can't just carry play the way better players do. Kreider, whose game I love, also has a niche. He's not a dominant skill player or conventional elite winger. He gets his points doing what he's good at and he has holes.

Panarin is a dominant player, but I just think he's too small for the playoffs. He can't operate in tight spaces.

Brady is also a niche player. He's good at things but he has holes all over his game.

If you really wanted to change the culture, you have to get a legit top-of-the-league 1C who can do everything.

We can't just do that, so I think the best thing we can do is improve the defense and accentuate the defenseman we have who is that player.

Reactions: Good Intentions

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Happened with Wheeler last year

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
like who cares what "people are telling" you.. people are dumb as hell. the actual thing is to be willing to evaluate the player outside of dumb people context. i think he's a good player who's an asshole, and that we need more of both.

He's not the only one of either, and i'm not sure that getting top 6 forwards are a priority over defense or F depth.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Oh I completely agree. Trouba has to go. Lindgren can stay if he plays 3rd pair with jones if not then he can go too.

I don't think people realize how bad he would be on the 3rd pair.

Adam Fox couldn't carry him and while the competition drop off would be a thing, so would the lack of Adam Fox.

Plus do you really want to tie up 4+ million on a bottom pair defender?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
How can you move on from a player like this?
GPFGycYX0AA6fNC.jpeg

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Honestly, Im suprised we won so much with 1 good defender. Now ship all of them out. Probably keep Schneider and hope he doesnt need depends in the playoffs.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
If you really wanted to change the culture, you have to get a legit top-of-the-league 1C who can do everything.

We can't just do that, so I think the best thing we can do is improve the defense and accentuate the defenseman we have who is that player.
Unless a miracle happens, this is the only current path forward. SO MANY THINGS CHANGE if our defense could move the puck. We might have even won 75 games last year if that was the case in the regular season. We probably score more than 2 goals against Florida.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Interesting to see Brooksie plunge the knife into Mika, Trouba and Kreider. Hard to argue. The NMCs turning to 15 team NTCs for Trouba and Kreider, 2 guys that Drury didnt acquire or sign to their current deals, is like a flashing check engine light. Should be an interesting offseason because many players on the roster future is not set.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Interesting to see Brooksie plunge the knife into Mika, Trouba and Kreider. Hard to argue. The NMCs turning to 15 team NTCs for Trouba and Kreider, 2 guys that Drury didnt acquire or sign to their current deals, is like a flashing check engine light. Should be an interesting offseason because many players on the roster future is not set.

He even sliced Lindgren.

The article was pretty ass aside from his Rempe section and the above though.

Reactions: McRanger92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad