Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Call me a cynic, but I have a hard time seeing them move on from Trouba. Trading away the captain... I just don't see it happening. It should, but it won't.
In case you have forgotten, trading away the captain is not a foreign concept in Rangerland....they traded their previous 2 captains.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hate to break it to anyone who's willing to listen.

Brady alone is not going to make much of a difference.

We need a 3rd line capable of offense, we need guys that skate better than Goodrow, Kakko, Vesey.

Guys tjat can make plays in tight spaces, preferably between the circles and in front of the net.

We need guys that other teams hate to play against because we make life physically miserable for opposi gnteams.

Domi is a poser, want nothing to do with him unless he takes the Wheeler deal.

I'd go after David Perron. He's a royal prick to play against.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
absurd hyperbole.

ottawa has issues beyond "their captain's culture setting prevents them from winning!"

Brady is a good 5v5 player and would add an element we don't have enough of in our top 6. unfortunately he's well compensated for it, enough so to require financial flexibility we don't really have. plus the assets we'd have to send would be exorbitant.

i'm curious who some alternative "top 6 with gumption" options might be. someone said bertuzzi, i like konecny but he's not moving
The panthers traded their best player to get Matt tkachuk.
How has that worked out for them?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't focus on one player like Tkachuk. This board does that for some reason and then when that player isn't traded here people go wild about how the Rangers blew it. If the Rangers could swing it, great, if he's not available then we can't yell about how they should have somehow altered reality to make him available.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Move out/Let walk:
Lindgren
Chytil
Kakko
Goodrow
Gus
Wennberg
Roslovic

Resign:
Schneider 2x2.75(Same as all the other RFAs got)

With this we are looking at about 15.5 million in cap if you just trade those players to recoup lost assets/prospects, but not roster players.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Z-?
Cuylle-?-?
?-?-Vesey
Rempe

Miller-Fox
?-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
?

Igor
Quick

In my opinion, the amount of question marks is great. You can reshape the identity of the team with that for sure.

First thing I think, Othmann, Berard and Edstrom fill 3 of those question marks. Young and tenacious players. That's good. Fresh legs.

I would sign Stephenson for 3C. He is great on draws, can skate, great PKer, responsible, can score, not afraid of the boards or the front of the net. Basically, another Trocheck.

Teddy Blueger is available too. He would be great for the 4th line center spot. Again, another less talented Trocheck type. Need to be deep and tough to play against up the middle. And if Z ain't gonna be it, the other 3 need to compensate.

Danton Heinen. Tenacious player. Fast.

For the LD spots I would look at Brenden Dillion and Zadorov. I like Zadorov, but he will likely just be so expensive. I mean, if not, then yeah they should pursue that, but I don't know.

As a number 7 I want Calvin De Haan. All around solid for what he brings.

At the end of the day, something like this:

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Othmann/Berard
Cuylle-Stephenson-Berard/Heinen
Edstrom-Blueger-Heinen/Vesey
Rempe

Miller-Fox
Zadorov/Dillion-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
De Haan

Igor
Quick

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In case you have forgotten, trading away the captain is not a foreign concept in Rangerland....they traded their previous 2 captains.
This is true, but not sure the circumstances are the same. But they do have the precedent...

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
And bought out the one before that (who also just so happens to be the current GM).

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Move out/Let walk:
Lindgren
Chytil
Kakko
Goodrow
Gus
Wennberg
Roslovic

Resign:
Schneider 2x2.75(Same as all the other RFAs got)

With this we are looking at about 15.5 million in cap if you just trade those players to recoup lost assets/prospects, but not roster players.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Z-?
Cuylle-?-?
?-?-Vesey
Rempe

Miller-Fox
?-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
?

Igor
Quick

In my opinion, the amount of question marks is great. You can reshape the identity of the team with that for sure.

First thing I think, Othmann, Berard and Edstrom fill 3 of those question marks. Young and tenacious players. That's good. Fresh legs.

I would sign Stephenson for 3C. He is great on draws, can skate, great PKer, responsible, can score, not afraid of the boards or the front of the net. Basically, another Trocheck.

Teddy Blueger is available too. He would be great for the 4th line center spot. Again, another less talented Trocheck type. Need to be deep and tough to play against up the middle. And if Z ain't gonna be it, the other 3 need to compensate.

Danton Heinen. Tenacious player. Fast.

For the LD spots I would look at Brenden Dillion and Zadorov. I like Zadorov, but he will likely just be so expensive. I mean, if not, then yeah they should pursue that, but I don't know.

As a number 7 I want Calvin De Haan. All around solid for what he brings.

At the end of the day, something like this:

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Othmann/Berard
Cuylle-Stephenson-Berard/Heinen
Edstrom-Blueger-Heinen/Vesey
Rempe

Miller-Fox
Zadorov/Dillion-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
De Haan

Igor
Quick
this lineup has too much Trouba and not enough Chytil.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hate to break it to anyone who's willing to listen.

Brady alone is not going to make much of a difference.

We need a 3rd line capable of offense, we need guys that skate better than Goodrow, Kakko, Vesey.

Guys tjat can make plays in tight spaces, preferably between the circles and in front of the net.

We need guys that other teams hate to play against because we make life physically miserable for opposi gnteams.

Domi is a poser, want nothing to do with him unless he takes the Wheeler deal.

I'd go after David Perron. He's a royal prick to play against.

Bertuzzi
Perron
Marchessault

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The panthers traded their best player to get Matt tkachuk.
How has that worked out for them?

Barkov has been there best player for the last 4-5 years

Hubie-Due is a decent point machine much like Panarin is.

Hubie is/was overrated

Bertuzzi
Perron
Marchessault

Marchessault is going to get paid.

Same with Bertuzzi (look for Boston)

Perron will probably get the 1 year Vet deal.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That does nothing for me.

I'd keep Lindgren 100x over Trouba.

Trouba is the issue. BUY HIS ASS OUT.
Lindgren would probably be a fine 3rd pairing guy

I agree in theory the best move is dumping trouba one way or another but I don't think it'll happen

Drury is gonna have to be cutthroat about this if he does go that route

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Lindgren would probably be a fine 3rd pairing guy

I agree in theory the best move is dumping trouba one way or another but I don't think it'll happen

Drury is gonna have to be cutthroat about this if he does go that route
31 years and counting. I think being cutthroat is warranted.

Reactions: Go Rangers

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

Hubie is/was overrated
I think the bottom line is that Florida took a huge risk and traded major players with high perceived value for the exact right type of player they needed to get to the next level. Kudos for them on being decisive. What's the rangers version of that trade?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Miller
Chytil
Lindgren
Kakko
Jones
Othmann
2024 1st round pick

Are all guys I can see used as ammo to upgrade on D and at RW. It's time consolidate the meh, into an actuall difference maker or 2 that bumps us up a level. Not saying to deal all of them but you backfill the lineup spots with Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, etc. Realistically, none of the core guys are leaving.
They don’t really need much ammo, it’s an addition by subtraction situation with the top 4. All the team has to do is recognize the problem players and replace them with any respirating, blood circulating human beings

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Hubie is/was overrated

Marchessault is going to get paid.

Same with Bertuzzi (look for Boston)

Perron will probably get the 1 year Vet deal.

I'm okay paying.

Per AFP:
Bertuzzi - 4 years @ $5.3m
Marchessault - 3 years @ $6.3m
Perron - 2 years @ $2.95m

I like Perron in general but he's more of a 3rd liner at this point in his career. I could see him playing well with someone like Cuylle on LW and Perron on the right though.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Lets be honest with ourselves and realize the Rangers probably missed the boat bigtime by not snapping up Eichel. That's if he truly was available to the Rangers for some combo of Kakko as the centerpiece and other prospects/picks(not including Laffy). When a player like that comes available, you need to spring into action to secure him.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Call me a cynic, but I have a hard time seeing them move on from Trouba. Trading away the captain... I just don't see it happening. It should, but it won't.
They did trade the previous 2 captains. But I agree I doubt it happens. I feel the only changes this off season will be UFA's walk, KK traded(not fully in agreement but it is what it is at this point), some 1 year deal signings so that kids like Othmann, Berard,Edstrom get a shot to make the lineup in some capacity. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scalia beats out Robertson for 7d.

If they try to to revamp the 4th line, I'd like to see Goodrow moved, maybe see what you can get for Vesey if nothing good keep him, and try some combo of UFA's like Joshua, Lafferty, Duhaime, or Trenin w/Edstrom getting a real shot at the 4th line. For the top I'd see what It takes to get Kaliyev, he has a lethal shot and can prob move up and down the lineup at rw. Also I didn't watch a lot of Othmann in Hartford. I know he has a good shot but does he drive to the net and get garbage goals or is he more like CK but a little more willing to make hits?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think its more than fair to say this teams core had its shot.

3 good to excellent regular seasons, good comeback ability. A ton of fun nights and big wins at the Garden.

2 trips to the conf final and one complete choke job in the first round against their hated rivals, which I still havent forgiven them for.

I would hope that at least one or two names of this core are moved or removed from the team and a refresh of the lineup happens, but im not sure if it can be done to a level that yields much difference.

And looking back at the deadline, if Kakko was part of the package for Guentzal that may have been the difference. Who knows. The fact that Kakko was scratched for a game really bothered me, not like previous years because i thought he should be playing, but because if he wasnt that important to the lineup than he was an expendable chip you could have been aggressive with to bring in an impact player, Guentzal or other.

Another few goals from someone and we may be talking about Game 1 of the final

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad