Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If anybody brought up the Tkachuk thing and said "Look, he scores a lot of 5v5 goals and maybe can help us get back to a cycle game. Plus, another Kreider, at the very least, is attractive," then, I might be willing to see you eye to eye. Nobody has done that.

It's always "they don't get it done when it counts and they need a guy that gets it done when it counts."

View attachment 879159

This board has anointed this guy their next Messier with no proof of concept.
How about adding a big, nasty 30-40 goal scorer who's not afraid to go to the net and will throw 300+ hits and will COMPETE game in and game out. Very different from Mr. Kreider, especially on the last 2 points. Playoff scoring is yet to be seen, but we can at least say he'll be tough to play against in the post season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What about a player like Mangiapane?

1 year left at 5.8M. Definitely more of that north/south type player and Calgary is definitely leaning more towards rebuilding than anything.

I'm also wondering if they would be interested in someone like Duchene. Remember that he is getting paid from his buyout, so maybe you can convince him that he's a missing piece? Still has good wheels and can play center or wing. Only thing is he didn't have the best postseason.
I like Mangiapane. He plays with pace and scores at 5v5.

He's coming off of a very "blah" season which is my only concern.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Brady Tkachuk might not be a game breaker, but a line of him Tro and Laf would be fun to watch and certainly piss off the opponent…..

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Cuylle. This kid has more to give than an average 3rd or 4th liner….
His effort was always there, doesn’t things with purpose, and does all the little things you want…..
I would actually like to see him play with some top end talent.
I honestly think he would be ideal to be on a wing with Zibby as he matures.

Kid has more offensive skill than he gets credit for….
He wasn’t a passenger on a line with Johnston and Othmann in juniors, and he was an AHL all-star in his 1st season….
The growth he showed from the beginning of the AHL year, to the end was fantastic.
He has a good accurate hard wrist shot that beats goalies clean. Imo, a better shot than Kakko.
He may not be a line driver, but a really good complimentary piece of making the line work.

Rangers have to spread out the grit and talent. You can’t just be a 1-2 line team and have a mostly soft top 6 and harder to play against bottom 6.

You’re 2nd/3rd lines have to essentially be 2A/2B and be counted on to add offense.

To me, putting Zibby with some young legs and a big body like Cuylle is the best course of action.

Make a top 9 for next year of
Panarin-Tro-laf
Cuylle-Zibby-Berard/Othmann
Kreider-Chytil/trade- berard/Othmamn/UFa Kakko?

make the top 9 harder to play against as a whole.

The following year guys like Perrault/sykora/chmelar should be in the mix as well. Maybe Laba too

Maybe BMB becomes that 4C we’ve been looking for and shifts Edstrom to wing???

I’m really bullish on Berard/sykora/Othmann because they are maximum effort guys that add skill in varying degrees, but I like all their games.
Chmelar too, he’s a smooth skating large body with a long reach that can add offense. Pretty much everything you want from a prototypical 3rd line guy in the mold of luostarinen or someone like that. Want a more vet guy, go get zetterlund, he’s smaller but another maximum effort guy and hard to knock off the puck……..
Presumably. Laf/zibby( while here) Panarin( while here) and Kreider are your high end talent guys….
I think taking Panarin out and replacing him with a drai/kaprizov already does wonders, but surround them with a harder to place against supporting cast of those max effort guys and spread it around the top 9.

Size/reach/and skating is still a matter of importance…..
The panthers entire roster they iced against us, everyone except 1-2 guys were all 6’0 + and 200 lbs +

Big team across the board.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How about adding a big, nasty 30-40 goal scorer who's not afraid to go to the net and will throw 300+ hits and will COMPETE game in and game out. Very different from Mr. Kreider, especially on the last 2 points. Playoff scoring is yet to be seen, but we can at least say he'll be tough to play against in the post season.
If it was always presented this way, I would be less annoyed by it.

People treat the guy like Napoleon. He's a f***ing dork.

He's a dork who's good at hockey, not saying otherwise.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I like Mangiapane. He plays with pace and scores at 5v5.

He's coming off of a very "blah" season which is my only concern.
Feel like a lot of the Calgary guys had blah seasons. Very 2017-18 NYR vibes from that group.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
If Brady Tkachuk is available, we do whatever it takes to get him. But I don't think he's actually available.

If a Center who is better than Mika is available, we do what it takes to get him. As much as this entire fan base turned on Mika after one round of playoff hockey because they realized he's not Barkov, the man is still in the top half of Centers in the league. To replace him, we have to get someone really, really good. As much as Mika might frustrate you for "only" being just below a point per game in the regular season and "only" playing well in the first two rounds of the playoffs, I promise you that replacing Mika with a cheaper, inferior version who gives you better vibes but can't come close to 80-90 pts and hasn't done a damn thing in any round of the playoffs, is going to frustrate you infinitely more.

This is not exactly a Mitch Marner situation, where we've never seen Mika score in the playoffs or win a round for 5 or 6 years running. He's a very talented, productive, but imperfect player. We are fortunate to have two #1 Centers as our top two, but it sucks to not have someone in that next tier up. I just don't see how or where we get such a player. If you can explain to me how we replace Mika without making a lateral move at best, lemme know.

The more glaring problems we face:

-Immobile d-men who played unstructured hockey. This starts with Trouba, but I think Gustaffson and possibly Lindgren need to go as well. I prob roll with Lindgren another season, and I don't give up on K'Andre Miller just yet because his talent is unreal when he puts it all together. But we 100% need to utilize Trouba's 15 team list and see if there's someone willing to take on a bad contract because they fell in love with his leadership and BIG HITS. Zac Jones is perfect for this lineup with his speed and IQ, at a low cap hit. We should spend the money on a proper third pairing RD to play with Zac, unless we want to move Schneider back down to play with him and sign Brett Pesce for the second pairing.

-No top line wing to play with Zib and Kreider. To me, we should be going to St. Louis to see what it would take to bring back Buchnevich. If not, would it be too early to try Gabe Perreault next to them? If Gabe needs another year or two, we should look into a short term contract for a guy like Tarasenko or someone else to put on the top line until Gabe is ready.

-Adding more speed and grit to the bottom six. Chytil/Othmann/Cuylle on the third line. I'm assuming Kakko is gone for no other reason than he's cheap to replace. I'd rather keep Kakko and move Cuylle to the fourth line with Goodrow and Rempe, or a value signing with better speed than Rempe.

-Igor's contract. We absolutely cannot allocate 15% of our cap to a goaltender. But we also can't lose him. It's not a next year problem, but this is something we need to figure out ASAP.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
A few notes from 32T today:
  • #1 priority is Igors next deal, everything else is secondary. NYR will be “fortunate” if its below 7x10. “Shocked” if its not the #1 goalie deal in the league.
  • On Laf: Could see everyone agreeing to wait to discuss next deal. Gives everyone a chance to see what they really have.
  • Says NYR can’t over react to this loss. 2 ECF in the last 3 years. This is a good team with good pieces. Fox was hurt. Wonders if KK experiment is over. Marek says Drury is “out” on KK.
  • Big one is Trouba. He “terrifies” other players. Org and other players like having him on their side. It would really change the way other teams feel about NYR if he’s gone.
  • What makes them better? Do they need to change depth? Changes on the margins.
  • Org needs to ask Mika what they need to do to get him to the next level in the post season.
  • Cant get rid of guys b/c they are mad at them for the last week.
  • Othmann on the radar for next season.
  • Wonders if NYR regret not going all in for Jake G.
this sounds like a recipe for me to have mo interest in watching next year lol

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lets do some comparisons here because I'm legitimately curious:

2022-23
Tyler Bertuzzi - Age 27
30 points in 50 games
+4.9 Corsi for rel @ 5v5
1.7 p/60 @ 5v5

Brady Tkachuk - Age 23
83 points in 82 games
+7.1 corsi for rel @ 5v5
2.4 p/60 @ 5v5

Chris Kreider - Age 31
54 points in 79 games
+2.1 Corsi for rel @ 5v5
1.7 p/60 @ 5v5

2023-24
Tyler Bertuzzi - Age 28
43 points in 80 games
+3.4 corsi for rel @ 5v5
1.9 p/60 @ 5v5

Brady Tkachuk - Age 24
74 points in 81 games
+8.0 CF% rel @ 5v5
2.4 p/60 @ 5v5

Chris Kreider - Age 32
75 points in 82 games
+2.1 CF% Rel @ 5v5
1.7 p/60 @ 5v5

Summary:
Brady Tkachuk is an absolute beast at 5v5 in terms of shot generation and suppression based on his corsi numbers and his 2.4 p/60 is very good. If there was a way to build around him, I'd seriously consider it.

In saying that, Tyler Bertuzzi is going to be the type of under the radar signing some team makes and he helps them compete for a Cup IMO. He plays in the dirty areas of the ice and he's a PIA to play against and he's adept at net front scoring. Considering Kreider is considered a bargain @ $6.5m and his 5v5 play, if the Rangers could find a way to fit him at ~$5-5.3m (AFP has him at $5.3m) he would be a really good addition.

Moving forward, I think the Rangers need to consider how they want to generate offense. If it's more win loose pucks, get the puck to the point after a cycle and get to the net, they need guys who are adept at that type of game. Bertuzzi would be a good addition there...

What about a player like Mangiapane?

1 year left at 5.8M. Definitely more of that north/south type player and Calgary is definitely leaning more towards rebuilding than anything.

I'm also wondering if they would be interested in someone like Duchene. Remember that he is getting paid from his buyout, so maybe you can convince him that he's a missing piece? Still has good wheels and can play center or wing. Only thing is he didn't have the best postseason.

I wanted him last off-season (Duchene) but I don't believe he likes big cities (he plays country music)

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Look if they're not gonna move Trouba then fine, I get it, but they can't keep pretending he's a legtimate shut down guy who can play top 4 minutes like this.

Pick your spots with him, whatever, that's fine, stop relying on him to be a big cog in the defense though. All that extra stuff can't be allowed to obscure the fact that he's just not playing actual DEFENSE well. Shelter him, pick his spots, whatever, but enough with Trouba in the top 4 and trying to match him up

Whether this team commits to Lindgren will go a long ways towards showing us how this is gonna go. I get all the reasons why you "reward" the guy but committing long term to a player who is always hurt and at his best has been "kinda OK" is nuts. AND he's another guy they have to stop relying on to play top minutes. Here's a chance to restructure things, take it. Don't just dig in . Find a way to get better. Making the D better isn't going to happen by spinning your wheels searching for a 6th defenseman that will somehow make it all better. The problem is in the top 4.

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Look if they're not gonna move Trouba then fine, I get it, but they can't keep pretending he's a legtimate shut down guy who can play top 4 minutes like this.

Pick your spots with him, whatever, that's fine, stop relying on him to be a big cog in the defense though. All that extra stuff can't be allowed to obscure the fact that he's just not playing actual DEFENSE well. Shelter him, pick his spots, whatever, but enough with Trouba in the top 4 and trying to match him up

Whether this team commits to Lindgren will go a long ways towards showing us how this is gonna go. I get all the reasons why you "reward" the guy but committing long term to a player who is always hurt and at his best has been "kinda OK" is nuts. AND he's another guy they have to stop relying on to play top minutes. Here's a chance to restructure things, take it. Don't just dig in . Find a way to get better. Making the D better is going to happen by spinning your wheels searching for a 6th defenseman that will somehow make it all better. The problem is in the top 4.
At a minimum, one of Trouba and Lindgren has to go. Ideally, both.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
At the moment, whether this is a good or bad thing, I think Cuylle needs to take the 1 RW spot. Or we'll call it 2 RW since our "second" line is our top line. He can be a Kreider-lite and the difference is he brought it EVERY game this season. I don't expect him to be a 30+ goal scorer but I think he can be an effective Wing for them.

Let Sykora and Othmann battle out for Cuylle's spot on the 3rd line. Edstrom and Rempe could be full time players next season and effective. Kakko for a LD, Lindgren for a RW. Give Chytil one last chance, if he's healthy he could be a monster.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
A few notes from 32T today:
  • #1 priority is Igors next deal, everything else is secondary. NYR will be “fortunate” if its below 7x10. “Shocked” if its not the #1 goalie deal in the league.
  • On Laf: Could see everyone agreeing to wait to discuss next deal. Gives everyone a chance to see what they really have.
  • Says NYR can’t over react to this loss. 2 ECF in the last 3 years. This is a good team with good pieces. Fox was hurt. Wonders if KK experiment is over. Marek says Drury is “out” on KK.
  • Big one is Trouba. He “terrifies” other players. Org and other players like having him on their side. It would really change the way other teams feel about NYR if he’s gone.
  • What makes them better? Do they need to change depth? Changes on the margins.
  • Org needs to ask Mika what they need to do to get him to the next level in the post season.
  • Cant get rid of guys b/c they are mad at them for the last week.
  • Othmann on the radar for next season.
  • Wonders if NYR regret not going all in for Jake G.

Trouba getting traded to Detroit and taking Lafreniere's head off is something would be the most Rangers thing ever. Trouba is hard to move and the #Captain so I could really see him staying. He needs to adjust his game if he doesnt go. Lavi already demoted him before the playoffs and he still sucked. I just don't see how Drury can watch that series and think we can move forward with Lindgren, Miller and Trouba in their current roles. No one has emerged as a #2 d-man for us and is shortening Fox's career. The only guy close is Schneider and he is still green and needs to fill out.

They can switch up the D pairs and play more to each guys strengths, but:

Fox-Miller
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

is nothing more than a "good, not great" D-core that I think we've seen the ceiling on. I would be looking hard for a way to move Kakko + one of Lindgren/Jones for a young D who can take the pressure off Fox and grow with the young core. We've beaten a dead horse with Chychrun but I think now is the time. 1 year left 4.6. 26, can play all situations. Has some size. Seemingly he wants out of Ottawa. I know he has had injury problems but so did Eichel and how did that work out? You can play him with Fox or on separate pairs but either way the D is so much deeper and actuall has 2 guys who can move the puck. The upside is high with Chychrun.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We certainly bullied Washington all over the ice.

I think we would play with more bite if we were ever in a series and not like a dog chasing a car all the time.

Moving the puck effectively up the ice allows the forwards to start shifts in the offensive zone and not at the end of their shift. This can't be understated.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Whether this team commits to Lindgren will go a long ways towards showing us how this is gonna go. I get all the reasons why you "reward" the guy but committing long term to a player who is always hurt and at his best has been "kinda OK" is nuts. AND he's another guy they have to stop relying on to play top minutes. Here's a chance to restructure things, take it. Don't just dig in . Find a way to get better. Making the D better isn't going to happen by spinning your wheels searching for a 6th defenseman that will somehow make it all better. The problem is in the top 4.

The Lindgren/Trouba situation right now is reminiscent of Staal/Giaradi. Drury has a chance to learn from the org's past mistakes on D. I understand why people might be on edge this summer lol.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
At the moment, whether this is a good or bad thing, I think Cuylle needs to take the 1 RW spot. Or we'll call it 2 RW since our "second" line is our top line. He can be a Kreider-lite and the difference is he brought it EVERY game this season. I don't expect him to be a 30+ goal scorer but I think he can be an effective Wing for them.

Let Sykora and Othmann battle out for Cuylle's spot on the 3rd line. Edstrom and Rempe could be full time players next season and effective. Kakko for a LD, Lindgren for a RW. Give Chytil one last chance, if he's healthy he could be a monster.

Don't sleep on Berard. He was playing a bit of RW in Hartford and he's like a dog on a bone in terms of his puck retrievals. I'm not sure Cuylle or Berard are top-6 options to start the season but a 3rd line of:

Cuylle-Chytil-Berard

Couild be a nuisance to play against

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad