Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I hate the hockey media…so typical bland and generic. If this is how the NYR org feels we are in trouble.

Thank you for typing this out though!
I have a feeling if Drury and the FO we’re watching the same games as us fans, he’s got a pretty good idea of what part of the rot needs to be cut out with some gutless performances, and what parts need to mature, others tinkered with.
He also knows Kreider and Zibby are probably here for the long haul ( next 3 years+)

Say zibby has another down season while we’re playing well as a team, he’s still a solid asset, but having other better guys who you can deploy in certain situations also helps a lot more.
I don’t see him as a net negative. I just don’t see him as the” driver” the guy that’s gonna get us there, but he can certainly help while he’s along for the ride.

Sans laf/tro/goodrow/cuylle
Our FWDs and def were physically beat up by FLA who has more team toughness top to bottom. Not all of them are maulers, but all over them give maximum effort and are very hard on the puck/along the boards/in front of the net/finishing checks etc

We had 4 of 12 fwds be hard on the puck, along the boards, going to the net….
Kakko and Wennberg occasionally participated, but not enough.

So when you have maybe half a fwd group hard on the puck, cracks in the games start to show….

Plus of our 4 fwds, laf and Cuylle are 22-23 years old….. it’s not enough

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
For the cap space we have, domi is about the best we can do to get what we’re lacking. He brings grit, skill, skating and flexibility to play both RW and Center which we need due to Chytil’s uncertainty.

Also what better way to tell the guys like mika youre done with the country club culture by making your one “big” signing this offseason a known shit stirrer in domi
i just don't think we're going to win by merely adding a domi. The downside of adding Domi's and Rempe's to your lineup is -- it ratchets up the physicality of the games you're in. And when that happens, those top guys need to withstand said physicality. There's a big price you pay when your team becomes the aggressor. The top players become targets and will need to withstand heightened battle level. I worry that Panarin, Mika and Fox are just not the right mix to get us those last 6-8 wins in the poststeason. We need Laffy to become one of those guys. And we need one more core piece to be that big bodied beast. To me, Domi is a fix around the edges and isn't a bad addition to a roster. But remember, he's been added to a whole host of teams in the last 3-4 years who were trying to solve this exact issue and it hasn't worked because this is a core issue not a complimentary issue.

Reactions: majordomo

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Quinn was the absolute worst choice for this team.
He set the vibe of being a hard ass but he 1) let the vets do what they wanted to and 2) didn't have the X's and O's to back it up.

Guys like Torts and Sutter ask you to do specific things. If you don't do them, there are consequences. Quinn yells into the wind and isn't really looking for anything specific.

He's a college coach. He sets the vibe of hustle and discipline, and then just rides his top guys -- in his world, the guys that were going to the NHL. He doesn't have major league tactics.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Listen, I actually agree with Linda about getting Brady or a player like him.

But normally I find her takes to be a bit dim and simple. I usually find her to be the level of Rangers fan that drives me up a wall with how simplistic their takes are. I think she was on the Kane train last year for example.

But I kinda agree with this take.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
He set the vibe of being a hard ass but he 1) let the vets do what they wanted to and 2) didn't have the X's and O's to back it up.

Guys like Torts and Sutter ask you to do specific things. If you don't do them, there are consequences. Quinn yells into the wind and isn't really looking for anything specific.

He's a college coach. He sets the vibe of hustle and discipline, and then just rides his top guys -- in his world, the guys that were going to the NHL. He doesn't have major league tactics.
He came close to ruining Laf's career, and may have ruined Kakko's (imo).

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They refuse to pay the price to score goals in the playoffs. That is not going to change.
Your solution to not showing up in the playoffs is to get a guy who's never played there and has captained his team to absolutely nothing but lottery finishes?

He's a good player, but the idea that he's this big winner is what gets me. He's literally not. He's done nothing but lose in the NHL.

That his pretty talented Ottawa team can't get out of last place needs to fall on his leadership that people fawn over.
Panarin - Trocheck - Laf
Kreider - Chytil - Tkachuk

I think that's a better top 6 then the bromance.
If you trust Chytil to be a top six center at this moment, you have a lot more faith than I do.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What did Matthew win with Calgary? Idk I'm not sure Brady would be the right move but it's not his fault he's on a dysfunctional team with a terrible FO. And I would absolutely trade Mika for him. Figure out the center position after. Not happening though.
He dragged them to the second best regular season in Flames history and they've been dog shit since he left.

Nobody is saying he isn't a good player, but when you're selling him on the basis that he's a leader, a winner, and culture shift, he has to have done something besides lose.

It's an idea that isn't rooted in anything tangible.

Reactions: Ail

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let's just say as a Nashville fan, I strongly disagree. McD has a Cup pedigree, and teams pay extra for that. Tampa has also shown to not be as prudent with their picks lately, see Tanner Jeannot. For a better comparison, look at what McD was trade TO Nashville for: a 24 year old F who struggled in the AHL, was sent to the ECHL the next season, and is now overseas, and a 25 year old D who can't stay healthy, and has been somewhere south of mediocre in the AHL even when healthy.
Trouba might get some value back, but it won't be 2 2nds, a 3rd, and a 26 year old $2M NHL D.

Nashville won't be looking to pay 3 top-3 round draft selections and a 26 year old $2M D to "upgrade" McD to Trouba. Their window is weird right now. Trotz brought in players to change the culture, not to win immediately.

Again, with like $30M in cap space, Nashville will be hunting much larger than the Rangers dumping Trouba on them.

I think we are confusing 2 years ago when the league had a static cap and no one had cap space to this upcoming offseason when quit a few teams have cap space though.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If anybody brought up the Tkachuk thing and said "Look, he scores a lot of 5v5 goals and maybe can help us get back to a cycle game. Plus, another Kreider, at the very least, is attractive," then, I might be willing to see you eye to eye. Nobody has done that.

It's always "they don't get it done when it counts and they need a guy that gets it done when it counts."

No Result.PNG

This board has anointed this guy their next Messier with no proof of concept.

Reactions: Ail and zlev

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What about a player like Mangiapane?

1 year left at 5.8M. Definitely more of that north/south type player and Calgary is definitely leaning more towards rebuilding than anything.

I'm also wondering if they would be interested in someone like Duchene. Remember that he is getting paid from his buyout, so maybe you can convince him that he's a missing piece? Still has good wheels and can play center or wing. Only thing is he didn't have the best postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad