Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So Cole has a large drawback of being incredibly undisciplined which is not exactly what you want in a 3rd pairing dman. In fact he has the worst penalty differential among all players in the NHL over the last 3 years.

Totally fair, but he's expecting to get ~$1.3-$1.5m for 1 year. I'd take him over Lindgren at 3 years and $4m.

Dillon is my guy. He's physical, he's big, he knows his role, he PK's and he is likely getting a short term, reasonable contract.

Reactions: Atax

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Ok how about this
Lindgren is the definition of a team guy that will do anything to help . The locker room loves him

When you’re questioning whether or not the salami you bought is expired and bad usually you give it a good sniff first and it’ll give you an answer.

The sports equivalent is if the first thing you say in defense of a player is “he’s a team guy” lmao

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
A trade for a C

Ok how about this
Lindgren is the definition of a team guy that will do anything to help . The locker room loves him

He’s tough , blocks shots and is a steady Dman

Name a better LD that’s a ufa ? Don’t say Dillon that’s ridiculous . All the good UFAs are RD

If they can trade for one sure move Lindgren but I doubt they can so he probably is back
Here is another reason you know Lindgren isn't a good player. You start defending him with stuff like he is a great team guy the locker room loves him. Nothing about actual SKILL and him actually playing hockey. This is the problem fans are in love with this guy because he gets beat up. Way too many people created this magical vision of him with the team smacking him in the ass with wet towels, high fiving him and laughing at all his jokes. This isn't the most interesting man in the world commercial its hockey and he isn't good at it.

He isn't tough he gets beat up all the time. He doesn't block shots more than anyone else. In fact Fox blocked more shots then him this year. 5th on the team behind the other regular dmen.

Again its this made up vision that somehow he has convinced way too many people to want to pay him 4 million to be on the 3rd pairing. You dont pay a 3rd pairing dman 4 mill no matter who it is. You use that money to improve other areas. Its just dumb and its a goodrow contract all over again except Goodrow is a better hockey player.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Trading Trouba (which I agree with) only to replace him with Matt Roy doesn’t seem to make sense because of the cap.
Overloading the Rd spot takes funds from more pressing needs.
If Drury is also going to move Schneider and replace him with a cost effective 3rd pair RD and address a need than signing Matt Roy makes sense to me.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Here is another reason you know Lindgren isn't a good player. You start defending him with stuff like he is a great team guy the locker room loves him. Nothing about actual SKILL and him actually playing hockey. This is the problem fans are in love with this guy because he gets beat up. Way too many people created this magical vision of him with the team smacking him in the ass with wet towels, high fiving him and laughing at all his jokes. This isn't the most interesting man in the world commercial its hockey and he isn't good at it.

He isn't tough he gets beat up all the time. He doesn't block shots more than anyone else. In fact Fox blocked more shots then him this year. 5th on the team behind the other regular dmen.

Again its this made up vision that somehow he has convinced way too many people to want to pay him 4 million to be on the 3rd pairing. You dont pay a 3rd pairing dman 4 mill no matter who it is. You use that money to improve other areas. Its just dumb and its a goodrow contract all over again except Goodrow is a better hockey player.
loling

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Get Tkachuk at the draft

I'm sorry, why is Ottawa trading Tkachuk? Why would they even entertain the idea? That's a team trying to turn the corner and they're going to trade their young, in his prime, captain who plays a style the whole entire league wants?

What leverage would Tkachuk even have to force anything? He just signed a big deal, he's under contract - what's he going to do? Sit out? Why would he do that?

This isn't a situation like his brother where he informed Calgary he wouldn't be signing there long term, this is actually the opposite. He's already committed there long term.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trading Trouba (which I agree with) only to replace him with Matt Roy doesn’t seem to make sense because of the cap.
If Drury is also going to move Schneider and replace him with a cost effective 3rd pair RD and address a need than signing Matt Roy makes sense to me.

Can any of these RD's play on the left side? I feel like a lot of the guys weve mentioned have skillset's that would look good with Fox/in the top 4. Tanev, Roy, Walker, etc. All the UFA's on the left side are guys who will get overpaid, like Zadarov and Skjei, or bottom pair guys.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Totally fair, but he's expecting to get ~$1.3-$1.5m for 1 year. I'd take him over Lindgren at 3 years and $4m.

Dillon is my guy. He's physical, he's big, he knows his role, he PK's and he is likely getting a short term, reasonable contract.

Yea I like Dillon best. Best all around option by far.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I'm sorry, why is Ottawa trading Tkachuk? Why would they even entertain the idea? That's a team trying to turn the corner and they're going to trade their young, in his prime, captain who plays a style the whole entire league wants?
because rangers fans want him on his team obviously

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I’d rather pay him $4 mill to be in the third pairing than $4 mill to be on the 1st

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If you look at cap allocation though:

Fox - $9.5m
Roy - $5.8m
Schneider - $2m

That's not a bad allocation of cap space

Can any of these RD's play on the left side? I feel like a lot of the guys weve mentioned have skillset's that would look good with Fox/in the top 4. Tanev, Roy, Walker, etc. All the UFA's on the left side are guys who will get overpaid, like Zadarov and Skjei, or bottom pair guys.

Walker I think can. I believe Roy has strictly played RD. I believe Tanev can play both sides as well

Reactions: McRanger92

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Fox - $9.5m
Roy - $5.8m
Schneider - $2m

Walker I think can. I believe Roy has strictly played RD. I believe Tanev can play both sides as well
Gonna be tough to make that work long term. Especially after extending Igor, Lafreniere, and Miller. I like Roy a lot, but it’s probably gotta be someone looking for a 1-year deal to replace Trouba.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I completely get people defending Mika. I understand why people defend Kakko.
I have no idea why people defend Lindgren.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Fox - $9.5m
Roy - $5.8m
Schneider - $2m

Yeah see I am Ok with paying Walker or Tanev and throwing them next to Fox, regardless of handedness.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah see I am Ok with paying Walker or Tanev and throwing them next to Fox, regardless of handedness.

I really wish we saw more of Miller-Fox this year because, to me, that fits. Then you're looking for a LD to play with Roy, (Dillon) and then a 3rd pairing of Jones-Schneider (or perhaps a cheap LD vet on a $1m contract)

Gonna be tough to make that work long term. Especially after extending Igor, Lafreniere, and Miller. I like Roy a lot, but it’s probably gotta be someone looking for a 1-year deal to replace Trouba.

It will require choices, for sure, but I think it's possible.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Yea I think getting rid of Trouba's contract only to give most of that money back even longer term to another RD is not a great move. I'd rather use it to spread around the lineup or for a short term commitment.

Specifically, I think if we're going to be giving huge money to a goalie we should not be spending huge money on defense. If the goalie is so good let him bail out the defensive mistakes and spend the money on improving the forwards.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I completely get people defending Mika. I understand why people defend Kakko.
I have no idea why people defend Lindgren.
Because Lindgren is just being used on the top pair where he shouldn't be? He would be fine playing on the 2nd or 3rd pair, with less minutes, and easier competition.

Lindgren was also fine playing with Fox for years. Yes he had a down year, which is why now he should play down the lineup.

Odd how some people are so against him.

Reactions: Profet

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I really wish we saw more of Miller-Fox this year because, to me, that fits. Then you're looking for a LD to play with Roy, (Dillon) and then a 3rd pairing of Jones-Schneider (or perhaps a cheap LD vet on a $1m contract)

I go back and forth on Miller. To me, he's going into this next year the same way Kakko went into last year. We've seen some good things from him but the inherent flaws are also still there. The beat writers treat him as an untouchable but he's living off a reputation and he isnt going to have Trouba to bear the brunt of the criticism, whether 8 is moved or just separated from him. If Miller was really as good as the uninitiated thinks he is, we wouldnt still be wondering if he was capable of a promotion. I guess we'll find out. He was horrendous against Florida, specifically Game 5 at MSG.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So does team Sweden suck cause Zib is on the team ?

Could you imagine how much better off this team would be right now if they pulled off a Hanafin trade. I know it’s a moot point because NYR weren’t where he wanted to be. But still. What a great fit and missed opportunity.

Yea no doubt but as you said he called his shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad