Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I agree with you, but if we are to believe what we’ve been hearing, it sounds like the odds are in favor of him not being moved. No?
It's hard to say. Drury plays things very close so I take whatever's said in the media with a grain of salt.

If Lindgren's on the team next year I'm not going to end it all like goawaypanarin might, but it's 100% the wrong decision and I was saying the same thing before he had this horrible season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just give him his QO for 1x3.6 then for the third pair if there's not a good trade out there.

It's not a true third pair role though because it's also going to be first pair PK and late game defensive situations.
To what end? This would clearly indicate that he's not a part of long-term core. If there's an acceptable trade - why wait a year? (they do need to also make a decision on Jones and if Lindgren is brought back - him being 7th D again won't help here).

Reactions: Atax

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You can think I’m a fool for saying Lindgren should stay but I’m gonna respectfully reply by saying those players mentioned are 3rd pair depth guys hanging on to stay in the league

Dillon was untradeable 2 yrs ago
You are asking for a tougher Nemeth. Bad contract all over it unless it’s a 1 yr deal

None of the guys I mentioned are going to be 1-2 year deals.

LINDGREN IS A 3RD PAIRING DEFENSEMAN

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Great. The locker room loves him. That's nice.
Every defensemen blocks shots. What does that matter.
Steady? In what capacity is he steady? His season was catastrophic.
People give him this tough label because he always fights through injuries. Yet why is he always getting hurt? Because he cant make a play and just gets destroyed.

But yeah, lets give him a 4x4 with NTC because he's a locker room guy. Did the Girardi and Staal contracts teach us nothing.

Thats the problem. He wont be lower in the lineup. He will be stapled next to Fox.

I feel like Im taking crazy pills.

4M is nothing.

Staal and Giradi got paid much more when the cap was much less (20M less...)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It's hard to say. Drury plays things very close so I take whatever's said in the media with a grain of salt.

If Lindgren's on the team next year I'm not going to end it all like goawaypanarin might, but it's 100% the wrong decision and I was saying the same thing before he had this horrible season.
Some of us were advocating to move him two seasons ago even before the Tampa series. It was pretty obvious what all that wear & tear on his body was going to result in. He's simply not built for that type of abuse long term, as tough & willing as his heart is.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Right. Well I’m assuming those “Lindgrens contract ask wasn’t looked at by NYR as insane” comments were coming from Lindgrens camp, not from NYR. We’ll see.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
To what end? This would clearly indicate that he's not a part of long-term core. If there's an acceptable trade - why wait a year? (they do need to also make a decision on Jones and if Lindgren is brought back - him being 7th D again won't help here).

To have him for one year and then let him leave in free agency. If there's not a good trade then how are you going to make a trade? You can give him the one year and if his play is poor just trade/upgrade at the deadline.

Reactions: majordomo

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I hate having to do this but here goes, I'm not going back multiple years but it would be the same story...

23-24

Ryan Lindgren
17p in 76 games
36 PIM's
19:21 TOI
114 hits
103 blocks
-2.2 CF% rel (THIS IS WITH ADAM FOX!!!!)

Brenden Dillon
20p in 77 games
92 PIM's
18:44 TOI
241 hits
111 blocks
-3 CF% Rel

Ian Cole
11p in 78 games
61 PIM's
18:41 TOI
83 hits
166 blocks
-3.8 CF% Rel

These guys all play the same role and I'd argue that Dillon is the best of the bunch, and not by a little.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I hate having to do this but here goes, I'm not going back multiple years but it would be the same story...

23-24

Ryan Lindgren
17p in 76 games
36 PIM's
114 hits
103 blocks

Brenden Dillon
20p in 77 games
92 PIM's
241 hits
111 blocks
-3 CF% Rel

Ian Cole
11p in 78 games
61 PIM's
83 hits
166 blocks
-3.8 CF% Rel

These guys all play the same role and I'd argue that Dillon is the best of the bunch, and not by a little.

Dillon is the type of defenseman every recent Cup winner has had, but fans claim is the worst player in the league.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It was a really bad season. Not just a down season, a downright terrible season. And he was never actually good in that role either. He got this myth built up that he was doing so much to enable Fox which is complete bullshit.
I think many, including the front office, fell in love with his Terminator, takes a lickin & keeps on tickin' attitude.

He's a machine yes, but it's not about that. It's about his inability to gain control of the puck or move it if/when he does.

He's a tough customer & sadly that's about it. He's not worth 3-4M for being hard.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

23-24

Ryan Lindgren
17p in 76 games
36 PIM's
114 hits
103 blocks

Brenden Dillon
20p in 77 games
92 PIM's
241 hits
111 blocks
-3 CF% Rel

Ian Cole
11p in 78 games
61 PIM's
83 hits
166 blocks
-3.8 CF% Rel

Dillon is someone who clears the crease & makes guys pay on every shift, plus he actually moves the puck ok out of his own end. His numbers will never be gaudy, but he's built for playoff hockey.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
lindgren is not it. if the goal is to roster a bad 3LD then get a guy who will cost less, who's big enough to hit instead of just being hit, and won't be a baby blanket for Foxy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Dillon is someone who clears the crease & makes guys pay on every shift, plus he actually moves the puck ok out of his own end. His numbers will never be gaudy, but he's built for playoff hockey.

Yeah thats the separator between him and Lindgren for me.

One of them does what the other has the perception of doing even though the latter is the nail way more often than he is the hammer.

He's not a guy I want on my top pair or even the 2nd pair. On the bottom pair as a guy who can bring a bit of thump and soak some PK minutes, he's a better (and cheaper) option than RL.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

23-24

Ryan Lindgren
17p in 76 games
36 PIM's
114 hits
103 blocks

Brenden Dillon
20p in 77 games
92 PIM's
241 hits
111 blocks
-3 CF% Rel

Ian Cole
11p in 78 games
61 PIM's
83 hits
166 blocks
-3.8 CF% Rel

So Cole has a large drawback of being incredibly undisciplined which is not exactly what you want in a 3rd pairing dman. In fact he has the worst penalty differential among all players in the NHL over the last 3 years.

Reactions: NYR Viper

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
To have him for one year and then let him leave in free agency. If there's not a good trade then how are you going to make a trade? You can give him the one year and if his play is poor just trade/upgrade at the deadline.
It's possible of course, but IMO not the preferred approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad