Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It’s so weird that Kakko looks more natural in a Hurricanes jersey than a rangers one despite never playing for them lmao.
Absolutely. Some things just look natural.

Mike Modano in a Stars jersey
Lemieux in a Penguins jersey (barf)
Lundqvist in a Rangers jersey

Kakko in a Canes jersey is honestly up there and looks so right for some reason

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Have there been any discussion here about WHY this team is bad 5v5? I’ve been harping on having to fix the defense. Any chance that getting some competent puck movers back there drastically improves our overall 5v5 play? I refuse to believe that Zibanejad and Kreider are just somehow worse players than Evan Rodrigues at 5v5.

These guys are elite on the PP because you’re not relying on the defense to advance the puck on the PP. Get some guys that can retrieve and move the puck on the blueline and watch the team’s 5v5 metrics turn around.

Turns out that is exactly what we saw when Lindgren and Trouba were both out in March.

Team went 2-1 against the Jets, Bruins, and Panthers. At 5v5 NYR outshot the opposition 79-61 (56%), outattempted 153-108 (59%), and led xGF 5.65-3.97 (59%).

Remaking the defense has to happen this offseason or I really don’t want to hear lip service from the org about “contending”.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Turns out that is exactly what we saw when Lindgren and Trouba were both out in March.

Team went 2-1 against the Jets, Bruins, and Panthers. At 5v5 NYR outshot the opposition 79-61 (56%), outattempted 153-108 (59%), and led xGF 5.65-3.97 (59%).

Remaking the defense has to happen this offseason or I really don’t want to hear lip service from the org about “contending”.
Bingo. Well said

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Trade Lindgren. Picks, prospects, player, whatever. Utah makes sense cause they need it and have a million 2nds. Cheap and easy replacement is Dillion. There are some others that could fit too.

yes pls

Chytil+ for Necas? He would fit at that RW spot. Would Canes ever trade with us? What's his contract? Probably 7x7.5. Can we even afford that? Seems like a longshot.

Hell no, eww. Keep Flip.

Kakko for Colton? I'd do it, especially if we can get Necas. Colton had his best season getting more minutes with better support and playing Center. He is a center. Tampa bounced him around but Avs didn't. He would be a good fit and Avs need a RW too.

At first glance, hell no. I'd rather keep the 23 year old 40pts guy and hope he develops another skating gear.

Sign Igor for anything you can get at 10 million or less. Otherwise, that might be trouble. Sign Laf for 9 or less. Get him in. That's the GMs job to get guys on board for the long haul. Sign Schneider, probably the usual bridge we see, 2x2.25.

In what world do we have to throw an 8m AAV contract in Lafs face?
I'd low-ball him, 6.5 million for 8 years, tops!

Igor getting more than 10 million is gonna break this teams cap situation. But you can see it from a mile away ... we're gonna cripple ourselves so badly. 10+ albatross on the horizon. And while we're at it, make sure to slap an NMC on it too, for the full duration. Not that I have to draw attention to that. If it was me, he's getting 8-9m for 4 years, and that's the most generous offer I'll come up with for a goalie.

Reactions: bernmeister

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Dude. His numbers improved EVERY year over the pervious (just like Laf’s did) season til this season with the serious knee injury.
I’m not bagging on you, youre a good reasonable dude, and I’m not going to “I told you so” if I end up right. It’s really just stepping back from my disappointment from his draft position, and rationally looking at the normal progression young players take. If he was a 2nd rounder we wouldn’t be near as disappointed right now. At this point, D+5, his draft position is mostly irrelevant.

I haven’t followed McGroarty since that draft so I’m not sure if Kakko for him is a good deal or not. I’m not opposed to trading him, I’m opposed to selling low on him. That’s all. He had a 40 EV point season last year as a 21-22 year old. There’s value there.
I’ll drop it too, bud. I think we both know where each other are coming from.

Kakko's numbers in 22/23 were only remotely OK because he was shoehorned into a top 6 role.

It's not like he added anything much to that line. They were having major issues scoring.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kakko's numbers in 22/23 were only remotely OK because he was shoehorned into a top 6 role.

It's not like he added anything much to that line. They were having major issues scoring.

It's the main reason they loaded up on RW with Kane and Tarasenko.

Rather have Kane over Stamkos, quite easily.

Kane will take a shorter contract and come in much cheaper than whatever Stamkos will get.

Unless Stammer also wants to take less to come here, but if was willing to take less he'd probably be extended in Tampa already.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Red Wings trading Walman and a 2nd to the Sharks for "Future Considerations". Weird. They took on Goodrow's contract for nothing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Walman getting traded with a 2nd and a 3.4M contract for literally nothing and we're supposed to believe there's an actual market out there willing to give up quality for Trouba at 8M lol

Reactions: Atax and noncents

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Come on, man. We want to believe Drury as a patient architect but we all know he has a boss named James Dolan who is pressuring him to make a cup run every single year, pointing at how VGK do business. He's gotta be saying dumb shit like "Look at Brad McCrimmon winning cups! It's because he has balls!" I fully expect Drury to do dumb shit to win the cup. Especially in Igor's last cheap season. And don't forget, Drury was the one doing all the bad contract negotiations back with Gorton was GM.
Please, if there is a merciful hockey g-d let him rid us of this meddlesome priest owner!

Reactions: majordomo

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Walman getting traded with a 2nd and a 3.4M contract for literally nothing and we're supposed to believe there's an actual market out there willing to give up quality for Trouba at 8M lol
Red Wings have over 30 mil in capspace. Granted, they have to re-sign Seider and Raymond (and some other pieces), but they are not in immediate cap crunch to make a move like that. Something else must be up.

Or Yzerman just sucks and it was all Brisebois all along.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Yzerman might just be a moron because, why didnt he trade Justin Holl, who makes the same amount of money as Walman and is an objectively worse player by every metric?

Either way its an odd trade. Sharks took on more salary with no sweetener in Goodrow. Teams putting that kind of premium on "leadership and intangibles (with Goodrow and Trouba do have, to be fair) might actually work in the Rangers favor.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

I don't buy this. His most common linemates at 5v5 in 22-23 were Chytil and Laf with 666mins and 603mins. Next closest forward after that is Mika at 349mins.

His GF with those three players:

Laf - 36
Chytil - 32
Mika -15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad