Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Trade Lindgren. Picks, prospects, player, whatever. Utah makes sense cause they need it and have a million 2nds. Cheap and easy replacement is Dillion. There are some others that could fit too.

Chytil+ for Necas? He would fit at that RW spot. Would Canes ever trade with us? What's his contract? Probably 7x7.5. Can we even afford that? Seems like a longshot.

Kakko for Colton? I'd do it, especially if we can get Necas. Colton had his best season getting more minutes with better support and playing Center. He is a center. Tampa bounced him around but Avs didn't. He would be a good fit and Avs need a RW too.

Sign Igor for anything you can get at 10 million or less. Otherwise, that might be trouble. Sign Laf for 9 or less. Get him in. That's the GMs job to get guys on board for the long haul. Sign Schneider, probably the usual bridge we see, 2x2.25.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Have there been any discussion here about WHY this team is bad 5v5? I’ve been harping on having to fix the defense. Any chance that getting some competent puck movers back there drastically improves our overall 5v5 play? I refuse to believe that Zibanejad and Kreider are just somehow worse players than Evan Rodrigues at 5v5.

These guys are elite on the PP because you’re not relying on the defense to advance the puck on the PP. Get some guys that can retrieve and move the puck on the blueline and watch the team’s 5v5 metrics turn around.
Our D is terrible at retrieving pucks and exiting the zone, and both Kreider and Mika legitimately are terrible 5v5 play drivers while doing other things extremely well. When your 1st line, which gets the most minutes, stinks 5v5, it drags the whole team down.

Beyond that, we’re a slow hockey team. Highly skilled, yes. But slow. Even some of our best players - Panarin, Fox, Laf - are slow compared to the top players on the top teams in the league.

I think it’s time to realize players like Evan Rodrigues and some of the previously-seen-as no name defensemen on Florida are actually better than some of our high priced specialty players.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I'm not in the building so I can not tell you why KK declined this season. Some years are better than others for most players and right now the 37/40 point season in 2022-23 was the peak. Will he set that as his norm? Will his norm be better? Worse? I honestly do not know. If I had the answers I would demand a raise in my pay as hockey commentator. I do think KK gave his best effort in 2022-23. I think he came in ready to prove something after being benched in the last playoff game. Or maybe he was coming in looking to play for a contract. I did not think he gave as good an overall effort this season. Some games his effort was there. Others he was invisible. I do not think it is all about effort though. I think their are skating, puck carrying, vision and mentality issues that need to be improved. I honestly do not know what to make of KK. During the season I was not impressed with his passing but towards the end of the season and playoffs he made a few really good passes. Its that kind of sporadic flashes that leave me very confused when it comes to KK. I hope he puts it all together for us next season but if he just continues exactly what he has done the last 5 seasons then I think he will be moved.
what you wrote doesn't jibe with the discussion we've been having.. "if he continues exactly what he's done the last 5 seasons" doesn't make sense when what you *literally* just wrote was: "i was pleased with 22-23... this season is the issue."

regardless, to me it's a cop out to say "i'm not a commentator i don't have the answers, i'm not in the building, i don't know."

clearly you feel you know enough to disparage the players effort, enough to claim the team will be better without him, but you're not sure exactly why you think that? it's just weak sauce.

furthermore, to write a paragraph about not having any clue why Kakkos production declined this season without mentioning any of: 20/93 early season woes, late season playing with a rookie and centers who couldn't score under any circumstances, or most importantly having sustained an injury that kept him out for months is at best dubious and at worst downright disingenuous. i've mentioned all 3 of these factors 3 times and all you can say is "it doesn't feel good to blame everyone but Kakko."

just preemptively, because people love to trash the guy and argue against straw men: - Kakko had disappointed relative to his draft position and my personal expectation.
- Kakko is not an untouchable and could certainly be moved if it improves the team in the short and medium term, such as for a talented young player.
- it's not clear whether Kakkos mentality or offseason regimen is conducive to maximization of his natural talent and strength

Last edited:
Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What's wild is that Evan Rodriguez has a cap hit of $3m. He's not a high profile guy but he's the type of forward who can play on any of the top-3 lines and can control the puck and make plays. That's is what is missing from the Rangers. He's also not a shrinking violet who shies away from contact and he has speed and tenacity to his game.

The Rangers need a few of those types of guys to augment the team. I truly think Berard can be one. I think Cuylle will be one for sure. Go get a couple of mid-level guys who can augment the team and play with pace.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Ive always wanted to see more of Kreider with Trocheck. that's a center that will hopefully bring out more of Kreider's American intensity. Kreider isnt going to play as physical and in your face with a guy like Mika, so you need to entice it out of him imo.
this is like hockey as reality TV. just fantasy land stuff.

i can't believe someone is discussing "Kreider's American Intensity" unironically. it sounds like a hilarious euphemism and is surely a great potential HFB handle.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
agree with me or i'm gonna show you what i call "Kreider's Natural Engorged American Intensity"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

i can't believe someone is discussing "Kreider's American Intensity" unironically. it sounds like a hilarious euphemism and is surely a great potential HFB handle.

I want to use this badly but I'm going to stick with my current handle until theres a reason not to.

Edit: I do think there is something to Kreider fitting better with other players. He and Tro were a good duo. Kreider and Chytil have always been a fire combo. I don't see any reason why they can't give one of those 2 a look next year.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Seravelli says Drury is being aggressive in talks so it may be a fun week
Not actually a direct quote. Go to the 28:10 mark. When asked which teams will be the most active at the draft. Seravelli says “The New York Rangers, Chris Drury always has an aggressive posture.”
That’s Seravelli giving conjecture, not making a statement based on knowledge:

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Have there been any discussion here about WHY this team is bad 5v5? I’ve been harping on having to fix the defense. Any chance that getting some competent puck movers back there drastically improves our overall 5v5 play? I refuse to believe that Zibanejad and Kreider are just somehow worse players than Evan Rodrigues at 5v5.

These guys are elite on the PP because you’re not relying on the defense to advance the puck on the PP. Get some guys that can retrieve and move the puck on the blueline and watch the team’s 5v5 metrics turn around.
Trade Trouba to Columbus for Boqvist. Trade Lindgren for Chychrun and give Zac Jones full time 3rd pair. Problem solved

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not actually a direct quote. Go to the 28:10 mark. When asked which teams will be the most active at the draft. Seravelli says “The New York Rangers, Chris Drury always has an aggressive posture.”
Seravalli is good at breaking information, but people should know at this point that his personal takes are usually bullshit.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

Just coming out firing bombs at people today

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wondering now if anyone here was clamoring for that last year.

Not to trade Lindgren, but I liked Mikkola last year. I thought him and Tarasenko were spot on additions by drury until he muddied the waters by giving a chimp a machine gun (Giving Gallant Patrick Kane)

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

I was at the last draft in Nashville. Drury looked like he needed a pillow and a hit of crystal meth.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I mean that was tongue in cheek but Kreider plays more like that away from Mika. You can also ignore me instead of responding to every post I have if they bug you that much.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Not to trade Lindgren, but I liked Mikkola last year. I thought him and Tarasenko were spot on additions by drury until he muddied the waters by giving a chimp a machine gun (Giving Gallant Patrick Kane)
Hey. There's been chimps in space.

My wife is still trying to get me on a ladder.

• Haha
Reactions: McRanger92

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Come on, man. We want to believe Drury as a patient architect but we all know he has a boss named James Dolan who is pressuring him to make a cup run every single year, pointing at how VGK do business. He's gotta be saying dumb shit like "Look at Brad McCrimmon winning cups! It's because he has balls!" I fully expect Drury to do dumb shit to win the cup. Especially in Igor's last cheap season. And don't forget, Drury was the one doing all the bad contract negotiations back with Gorton was GM.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
It’s so weird that Kakko looks more natural in a Hurricanes jersey than a rangers one despite never playing for them lmao.
Fine. Kaapo for Tony it is.
Lindy Fox
Miller Deangelo
Jones Schneider

And you guys knock yourselves out with the "Trouba to" debauchery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad