Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
What did KK's play on any line this season in the regular season or playoffs say he should be a top line RW? When KK played on the third line this season how many games did people come away saying OMG that guy is a top line winger he should be stapled in the top 6? When KK plays well I will be thrilled to be one of the first people to say so. I was very happy with his play/improvement 2 seasons ago. This season he was bad. It is not logical for us to pretend that KK played well this season and just played on the the wrong line imo.
I didn't say he should be on the top line. Why is that your question? And THIS season, KK was awful offensively. Who is pretending otherwise? But how does KK's play excuse Mika's bad 5v5 play? People are scapegoating Kakko for 20-93 being subpar (more 93 than 20) when they haven't worked with anyone for 3 years. Kakko's bad/serious injury hampered year and 20-93's struggles are different issues. Vatrano went on to ANA and had a very good season after he couldn't really work with them either. At some point we have to stop saying the problem is <the latest winger KZ don't click with> and say it's THEM. My suggestion is to separate them. Not exactly an outlier opinion here. Hahahaha.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Signing Kane and and giving him all the power play time instead of finally getting Laf time and alienating Laf so he wants
Out would be very rangers
Let’s be honest, he wasnt getting it anyway again next year. We know he isnt changing that unit up if Kane isnt signed.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
No to Kane.

Who knows what Drury has up his sleeve. My gut says he has one or two shock moves in him this summer. One we may expect (Kakko or Lindgren) and another out of left field (Kreider or Zibanejad).

Whatever is done, he needs to look at players that can play 5 v 5. That's been the backbreaker for this core group of players for years. The 2014 and 2015 teams didn't have much star power but were tops in the league playing at even strength both years and had very good depth.

Panarin, Fox, and Lafreniere are your top offensive guys. Trochek and Chytil if healthy are good secondary pieces that can thrive in the right situations. Trochek sure did this year.

Sign three guys that can play at 5 v 5 over the star player making $9 million or more that's feast or famine and racks up points on the power play.

No Stamkos. No Marner. This roster needs a culture change. Those are moves of the Rangers of yesteryear.

Move on from Lindgren before a 5 or 6 year mistake is made. Give Miller a year with Fox and strap a rocket to him. If he swims, sign him long term. If he continues to flounder at times, consider moving on from him too.

Promote from within. Berard, Sykora, Edstrom are good young players that should all get significant time to make their mark. Othmann too, though I'm more skeptical of him being a good 5 v 5 player at this level even if his offensive ceiling is higher.

Get younger, faster, and tougher to play against 5 v 5. That should be the MO moving forward. Someone needs to step up at training camp on the first day in September and say "we came up short 2 of the past 3 years to a chance at the Cup. That isn't happening this year. You're in or GTFO".

Your move, Chris.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Mittelstadt extension for Avs. One step closer to a Colton for Kakko swap that helps both teams.
Oof. Unless they are adding something of value to Colton, that is a BAD trade. IMO of course. Only thing Colton does better than Kakko is forecheck. It took him till his 27yo season to score what Kakko did in his 21yo season. KK is better on Defense, better at possession, is 5 years younger and costs 1.6mil less a year.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Only because I just mentioned him but Colton gives us much more than Chytil does for ~4mil AAV. And I think Brett Berard can manage 20 points next year for half Kakko's cap hit. Id rather have small guys who play bigger than big guys who play small.
Chytil is a question mark health wise, so even though though he's 4 years younger and far more skilled than Colton, I can see the logic. Colton is also cheaper.
Penciling Berard in for 20 points is maybe getting ahead of ourselves, and I see no reason KK cant better the 40 5v5 points he had in the season prior to this. Unless he blows out his knee again. Never mind Berard being able to play the same defense KK does. Berard is only 2 years younger than Kakko too, it's not like we are going with more youth there either.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I didn't say he should be on the top line. Why is that your question? And THIS season, KK was awful offensively. Who is pretending otherwise? But how does KK's play excuse Mika's bad 5v5 play? People are scapegoating Kakko for 20-93 being subpar (more 93 than 20) when they haven't worked with anyone for 3 years. Kakko's bad/serious injury hampered year and 20-93's struggles are different issues. Vatrano went on to ANA and had a very good season after he couldn't really work with them either. At some point we have to stop saying the problem is <the latest winger KZ don't click with> and say it's THEM. My suggestion is to separate them. Not exactly an outlier opinion here. Hahahaha.
Never said KK was responsible for Mika or CKs play. CK had a solid season. Mika did not. KK did not. If KK can play at CKs level Id be thrilled.

Reactions: bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think if there’s an out of nowhere trade it’s going to be Panarin.

I don’t think there is any desire to trade Kreider (and there shouldn’t be) or market for Zibanejad. Panarin has the combo of low term and is coming off of a huge year that a few teams would probably take a chance on despite his lack of playoff production.
Oof. Unless they are adding something of value to Colton, that is a BAD trade. IMO of course. Only thing Colton does better than Kakko is forecheck. It took him till his 27yo season to score what Kakko did in his 21yo season. KK is better on Defense, better at possession, is 5 years younger and costs 1.6mil less a year.

Colton has put up 22 and 17 goal seasons playing less than 15 minutes a game.

I’d say he’s objectively better at scoring goals.

Forechecking and smashing people are things too and he’s better at those.

Kakko if he's dealt is going to go to Carolina. Bookmark this post for posterity.

I don’t think there is any way these teams trade with each other when they’re in direct competition with one another.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Its funny that you say that because Kakko alone probably doesnt get it done from the Avs or any other team's perspective. The value isnt there. there's a reason Drury is trying to use him to move up in the draft. it's because no one will trade anything of tangible value for him.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I was not happy with Mika-CK vs Florida but its been a while since they had a real RW that could set up plays. They aren't stapled together but we only have so many top 6 LW and Center combinations and they have been better together than separate most seasons.
Roslovic was absolute horse puckey against the cats….
He was serviceable in the prior series. He didn’t do much to really burn them, and his speed gave that line a boost….
The Hyde version showed up against the panthers. Blown D coverages, missing open nets, not even hitting the cage with any of his shots to create a rebound god forbid. And physically, he was rather soft as well.
He went from being a decent passenger to detriment really quickly.
We might have not won with Guentzel, but he would have miles better then this wet band aid.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Its funny that you say that because Kakko alone probably doesnt get it done from the Avs or any other team's perspective. The value isnt there. there's a reason Drury is trying to use him to move up in the draft. it's because no one will trade anything of tangible value for him.
I wouldn't bet on Drury using him to move up in the draft.
But objectively, the only positive Colton has over Kakko is forechecking. and he's more than 50% more expensive than Kakko and five years older.... We can get forechecking. Promote Cuylle and bring up Berard.
I just find it insane that everyone wants to give up on a 23 year old player who has improved every season over the previous, except in the just completed one where he sustained a serious knee injury. Wild. The kid is like 7.5 months older than Laf...

Reactions: doming07

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we did like I said and dealt
Troub + for 2nds
Lindgren + for 2nds
and bread for picks + Mikklola + cap space

would consider 2nd + prospect for Holloway, a mid 1st right shot RW
he is now no longer elc and underwhelmed but improving

Obv Oil prefer to sell higher, but that may be a fit...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I wouldn't bet on Drury using him to move up in the draft.
But objectively, the only positive Colton has over Kakko is forechecking. and he's more than 50% more expensive than Kakko and five years older.... We can get forechecking. Promote Cuylle and bring up Berard.

You're overlooking that Colton is a much more talented goal scorer. 22, 16, 17 over the last 3 years. Kakko scored 18 in the one year he was able to stay on the ice for the whole season. i get that he's young and might improve but its not happening here when he's incompatible with any of the Rangers top 6 players. Colton also plays a fearless style, and Kakko plays a "don't hurt me" style. That matters at this stage of the roster's evolution. We're looking at a very different discussion with kakko if Vesey didnt get hurt. he wouldve been a health bomb the rest of the ECF.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
In wonder If Montour will be available at FA. If Florida signs Reinhart they don't have the money for Montour. They also have Lundell to sign from RFA.

But yeah I guess he will be looking for a payday and longterm deal, and he is already 30. Roy would still me my first choice.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I know nothing. He absolutely fits the profile of the player that their front office and coaching staff loves, however.

Necas is a guy that generates offense 5 v 5 and can play center or RW. He's 25. This is someone that I pay and strap a rocket to in the 1RW position on this team. There could be a deal to be made there.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
In wonder If Montour will be available at FA. If Florida signs Reinhart they don't have the money for Montour. They also have Lundell to sign from RFA.

But yeah I guess he will be looking for a payday and longterm deal, and he is already 30. Roy would still me my first choice.

Can he play the left side?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think if there’s an out of nowhere trade it’s going to be Panarin.

I don’t think there is any desire to trade Kreider (and there shouldn’t be) or market for Zibanejad. Panarin has the combo of low term and is coming off of a huge year that a few teams would probably take a chance on despite his lack of playoff production.
Makes complete sense -- if you say FL
He will not get big $$$ offer, given that, maybe any.
That in and of itself is a really ugly bad look.

Cats may/may not be losing Rein and can absorb bread either way 1 yr.
Friends w/Bob, a fit
intangibles - cup repeat/no tax state etc

We would take Mikkola x2 and picks and cap relief

win win
give Berard + Oth mins

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know nothing. He absolutely fits the profile of the player that their front office and coaching staff loves, however.

Necas is a guy that generates offense 5 v 5 and can play center or RW. He's 25. This is someone that I pay and strap a rocket to in the 1RW position on this team. There could be a deal to be made there.

Well they did trade for Puljujarvi so kakko would be right up their alley lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad