Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Actually the proper application of KISS would be to insert a vastly superior player (to all but barely a handful available) in place of the least talented and least used even in 2OT situation.

KISS
Tell you what - instead of Rempe who does things in his 5 shifts, I'll let you scratch the shambling corpse of Kaapo Kakko who pretty much only fumbles the puck and gives it away for dressing rusty ass Filip Chytil.

Deal?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Tell you what - instead of Rempe who does things in his 5 shifts, I'll let you scratch the shambling corpse of Kaapo Kakko who pretty much only fumbles the puck and gives it away for dressing rusty ass Filip Chytil.

Deal?

Yeah, he takes penalties in his 5 shifts. That's a thing I guess. About the only thing he does though.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
People hung up about Rempe gotta realize Rod only played 9 forwards well into the first OT. Didn’t check after. Players have their roles.

I want Chytil back in as much as the next guy, but you gotta stick with what works until it doesn’t. Maybe if we’re up 3-0 and we want Chytil and/or Jones to get some minutes.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
People hung up about Rempe gotta realize Rod only played 9 forwards well into the first OT. Didn’t check after. Players have their roles.

I want Chytil back in as much as the next guy, but you gotta stick with what works until it doesn’t. Maybe if we’re up 3-0 and we want Chytil and/or Jones to get some minutes.

Well that’s not the point. Of course teams cut down the bench late in games. The Canes aren’t dressing random AHL level players over a quality NHLers like the Rangers are choosing to do. I’m not counting Kuznetsov as a quality NHLer since he happens to be awful.

It’s also not that the rangers cut down the bench in OT. They have benched Rempe in the third period in literally every single close game. It’s not a one time thing or rare case. The most likely scenario is a 1-2 goal game going into the third. Whenever that happens he sits.

If the Canes were leading the series and Pesce was ready to come back would you advocate for not putting him back in to the lineup because they won a couple of games? And no, I don’t think how long Chytil has been out is a factor. If he’s cleared and ready to go he’s ready to go. You’ll never know how he performs and how he’ll handle a game before seeing it. Waiting to play him after he’s cleared/says he’s ready is just acting like you know more than the doctors which doesn’t make sense. And yes, we don’t know for sure if he’s ready but given we do know he’s been cleared for full contact and we’ve seen lots of clips of him at practice it certainly looks like it

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Deal?
yes on playing Rempe

no on ditching KK, who is part of a monster possession line and integral to a potential solid 3rd line that could be higher on a deeper club if they had a solid pivot over Wenn, a black hole on offense.

Wenn gets less mins
if Chytil ready, he plays Wenn sits

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
yes on playing Rempe

no on ditching KK, who is part of a monster possession line and integral to a potential solid 3rd line that could be higher on a deeper club if they had a solid pivot over Wenn, a black hole on offense.

Wenn gets less mins
if Chytil ready, he plays Wenn sits
Weinberg isn't sitting,he's too valuable as a penalty killer.If anyone is coming out for Chytil,its Rempzilla

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Deal?
Haha, what in my post about Chytil and Rempe made you think it doesn’t matter to me who comes out? If you want physicality on the 4th line but from someone who participates the whole game then remove Rempe, insert Chytil on the 3rd line with Wennberg and Kakko and move Cuylle to the 4th.

Why do you make this your reference as if it was a good thing? Can’t you allow that this shortening of the bench is why Canes looked more tired in OT compared to the good guys?

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Well that’s not the point. Of course teams cut down the bench late in games. The Canes aren’t dressing random AHL level players over a quality NHLers like the Rangers are choosing to do. I’m not counting Kuznetsov as a quality NHLer since he happens to be awful.

It’s also not that the rangers cut down the bench in OT. They have benched Rempe in the third period in literally every single close game. It’s not a one time thing or rare case. The most likely scenario is a 1-2 goal game going into the third. Whenever that happens he sits.

If the Canes were leading the series and Pesce was ready to come back would you advocate for not putting him back in to the lineup because they won a couple of games? And no, I don’t think how long Chytil has been out is a factor. If he’s cleared and ready to go he’s ready to go. You’ll never know how he performs and how he’ll handle a game before seeing it. Waiting to play him after he’s cleared/says he’s ready is just acting like you know more than the doctors which doesn’t make sense. And yes, we don’t know for sure if he’s ready but given we do know he’s been cleared for full contact and we’ve seen lots of clips of him at practice it certainly looks like it
Different injuries. Concussions are serious business.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Different injuries. Concussions are serious business.

Not remotely the point. If he comes in the next game after they lose he was obviously good to go all along. If you’re going to say they should wait forever then you’re probably in the group saying he should just retire. If the doctors cleared him to play and he feels ready and in game shape there is zero reason to hold him out any longer. What medical qualifications do Peter laviolette, Chris Drury, Michael Peca etc have?

Reactions: TominNC

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Extending Lindgren would mean we learned nothing from extending Girardi.

They need to move on at the end of the season and get a LD1
No, it means you can't tell the difference between a 26 year old player and a 30 year old player.

If Lindgren were 30, I would agree that we shouldn't extend him, but he's not. No one is suggesting that we give him a 6-8 year deal. Give him 4 mil x 3 or 4 years and once we have a replacement for him, trade him. It's not complicated.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Weinberg isn't sitting,he's too valuable as a penalty killer.If anyone is coming out for Chytil,its Rempzilla
Wenn NOT too valuable

Haha, what in my post about Chytil and Rempe made you think it doesn’t matter to me who comes out? If you want physicality on the 4th line but from someone who participates the whole game then remove Rempe, insert Chytil on the 3rd line with Wennberg and Kakko and move Cuylle to the 4th.
no remove remp
yes add Chytil but replace Wenn
do not eff chem of Cuylle + KK

keep Remp in just play mo mins
give 4th line, effective on def, mo time
lets top 6 rest a bit
makes them = mo energy = mo effective

just ditch lesser C for better one

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not remotely the point. If he comes in the next game after they lose he was obviously good to go all along. If you’re going to say they should wait forever then you’re probably in the group saying he should just retire. If the doctors cleared him to play and he feels ready and in game shape there is zero reason to hold him out any longer. What medical qualifications do Peter laviolette, Chris Drury, Michael Peca etc have?

They have as little experience in medicine as you do with coaching an NHL team. :)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No, it means you can't tell the difference between a 26 year old player and a 30 year old player.

If Lindgren were 30, I would agree that we shouldn't extend him, but he's not. No one is suggesting that we give him a 6-8 year deal. Give him 4 mil x 3 or 4 years and once we have a replacement for him, trade him. It's not complicated.

It's less about the age and more about extending someone who is obviously declining. We've seen it before both with our own guys (Staal, G) or free agents (Redden.) It doesn't end well.

He had a horrible regular season and has save for a game and one moment in the last game (granted, a HUGE one), hes been even worse in the playoffs. The best teams in the league identify points of weakness on their own roster and improve upon them. Running it back with Lindgren next to Fox would be a huge mistake.

The only way its even remotely acceptable to have him on the team next year IMO is if they find a taker for Trouba, upgrade the 1LD spot and slide him down to the bottom pair and give him a 1 year deal that will lead him into UFA. At least then you're not having him boat anchor an elite defenseman and you can hide him/let him play a role that is better suited to his current abilities.l

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's less about the age and more about extending someone who is obviously declining. We've seen it before both with our own guys (Staal, G) or free agents (Redden.) It doesn't end well.

He had a horrible regular season and has save for a game and one moment in the last game (granted, a HUGE one), hes been even worse in the playoffs. The best teams in the league identify points of weakness on their own roster and improve upon them. Running it back with Lindgren next to Fox would be a huge mistake.

The only way its even remotely acceptable to have him on the team next year IMO is if they find a taker for Trouba, upgrade the 1LD spot and slide him down to the bottom pair and give him a 1 year deal that will lead him into UFA. At least then you're not having him boat anchor an elite defenseman and you can hide him/let him play a role that is better suited to his current abilities.l
Who are we replacing him with? Where's this 1LD coming from?

Reactions: Kendo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Who are we replacing him with? Where's this 1LD coming from?

Trade.

There will be someone available this summer who will be a clear upgrade. Always is.

I'm not looking for the Towes to Fox's Makar (though this would be ideal) I just want someone who is going to be able to take an even strength shift with him and not drag him down.

We have pieces to move (Othmann, Kakko, our 1st, Lindgren himself) to facilitate this.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Trade.

There will be someone available this summer who will be a clear upgrade. Always is.

I'm not looking for the Towes to Fox's Makar (though this would be ideal) I just want someone who is going to be able to take an even strength shift with him and not drag him down.

We have pieces to move (Othmann, Kakko, our 1st, Lindgren himself) to facilitate this.

Theodore is really intriguing. However I'm sure Vegas will find a better way to maneuver. And he has a decent injury sheet at this point as well.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Trade.

I was just thinking, if NYR moved one of Miller/Trouba would Pesce be a good replacement? I know he's hurt currently but I was always a fan of him. Depending on the cost I'd be intrigued to bring the Tarrytown kid home.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
its actually very easy: sign Gustafsson instead of Lindgren and play Jones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I stopped reading after “obviously declining” in regards to a 26 yo. Way to pull an argument out of your ass. Down season - yeah. Career on the decline - get the f*** out of here.

Reactions: Kendo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I stopped reading after “obviously declining” in regards to a 26 yo. Way to pull an argument out of your ass. Down season - yeah. Career on the decline - get the f*** out of here.

Actually everything points to a decline rather than a down season.

"down" seasons are usually just seasons in which a player has bad luck and/or plays through something they shouldn't be playing through. They'll still slow glimpses of who they normally are through out the year, it just won't be as common as usual.

See: Marian Gaborik 2010-11 where he would pot the occasional hat trick despite not being as productive as normal.

For a D? Usually you don't get the saves behind you even though nothing you're doing on the ice has really changed.

It's been the opposite for Lindgren, who actually got the goaltending behind him but was still on the ice for the highest rate of quality chances against of any of our D at ES (.6 more than our 2nd highest Trouba per 60 minutes played.)

Mind you this is happening playing most of his minutes WITH Fox (who gives up nearly 2 less per 60 minutes played.)

You don't want to know what these numbers look like in the playoffs.

Plus even just from an eye test perspective it's clear he's taken a step backwards. Not only does he look a half step slower (both physically and from a decision making standpoint) he isn't doing the core fundamental things that he used to do well (picking up sticks, having your stick on the right side to take away the passing lane, etc.)

This is before even getting to all of the punishment he's taken over his career, with more than half of it coming in the last calendar year.

What makes you think it's a down year? Other than just hoping that it is?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Actually everything points to a decline rather than a down season.

"down" seasons are usually just seasons in which a player has bad luck and/or plays through something they shouldn't be playing through. They'll still slow glimpses of who they normally are through out the year, it just won't be as common as usual.

See: Marian Gaborik 2010-11 where he would pot the occasional hat trick despite not being as productive as normal.

For a D? Usually you don't get the saves behind you even though nothing you're doing on the ice has really changed.

It's been the opposite for Lindgren, who actually got the goaltending behind him but was still on the ice for the highest rate of quality chances against of any of our D at ES (.6 more than our 2nd highest Trouba per 60 minutes played.)

Mind you this is happening playing most of his minutes WITH Fox (who gives up nearly 2 less per 60 minutes played.)

You don't want to know what these numbers look like in the playoffs.

Plus even just from an eye test perspective it's clear he's taken a step backwards. Not only does he look a half step slower (both physically and from a decision making standpoint) he isn't doing the core fundamental things that he used to do well (picking up sticks, having your stick on the right side to take away the passing lane, etc.)

This is before even getting to all of the punishment he's taken over his career, with more than half of it coming in the last calendar year.

What makes you think it's a down year? Other than just hoping that it is?
Because he’s only 26 and hasn’t had an injury that would put his career in danger. Maybe there’s been one off examples of career decline at this age, but in general it is an outrageous take. Just an extreme bias as a motivation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad