Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Trying To Reason With The Upcoming Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I saw Jordan Nolan is on waivers. I know he’s not fleet afoot but if the team needs a bit of muscle up front I waaaaay prefer him to McLeod (who I think is ticketed for Hartford anyhow).

Jordan Nolan! He's one of those people with a first name as a last name. Part of an amazing name-chain in the NHL.

Michal Jordan Nolan Patrick Roy Radke

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Leafs need to sign Marner & Matthews, but they have 5 other RFA contracts + 4 UFA next 2019/20 season and they only have 13.3 mil $ cap space left after they signed JT from Islanders. And they have not yet signed W. Nylander hence all the media focus in Canada recently. Jeff Gorton should be opportunistic here and call Canada for possible trades before the season start. :)

Last edited:

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Leafs need to sign Marner & Matthews, but they have 5 other RFA contracts + 4 UFA next 2019/20 season and they only have 13.3 mil $ cap space left after they signed JT from Islanders. And they have not yet signed W. Nylander hence all the media focus in Canada recently. Jeff Gorton should be opportunistic here and call Canada for possible trades before the season start. :)
NAFTA talks are not going well between Canada/US, and sadly Trump will impose tarifs of 30% on goods coming in from Canada. I don't think Gorton will overpay to get Willy...

Reactions: lucky13 and Ori

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Mcquaid is not a first pair D. Skill level aside, I don’t think he can physically take the minutes, which will be approx double his ATOI in Boston. On skill level, he’d get undressed every shift by other teams’ top lines.

Something has to shake out with Pionk and ADA. I don’t believe that either will be starting in Hartford. The one thing Brooks said that makes sense- we probably will start with 8D.

This probably leaves OGara and Gilmour in Hartford, with Lindgren, Hajek, Day, (Rod) Bigras, Pedrie and Crawley.

76Skjei/22Shattenkirk
18Staal/44Pionk
42Smith/77DeAngelo

33Claesson/McQuaid

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I really hope he’s talking out of his ass on these pairings

He's talking out of it in terms of Shattenkirk's play. Yeah, he was hurt and didn't do everything he can, but he was putting up points at a ridiculous rate for a few weeks. The article makes it sound like he was total garbage all year long.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I am not hoping for this to occur, but there is a team out there who is in dire need of a PPQB in Edmonton. The Rangers seem to have a few guys who would play well in that spot (Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA). Would anyone consider trading, say, ADA for similarly talented player?
No. I would trade Shattenkirk, though.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He's talking out of it in terms of Shattenkirk's play. Yeah, he was hurt and didn't do everything he can, but he was putting up points at a ridiculous rate for a few weeks. The article makes it sound like he was total garbage all year long.
It feels like a big portion of Rangers fans hate offensive defensemen because they’re not Brian Leetch

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Just to be clear, I wouldn’t trade him because I don’t like him. Big Shattenkirk fan, wanted him here for a while now. But Pionk and ADA are pushing and we are probably a couple seasons away for being a Cup threat. If the return was great (and coming off a good season on this sweetheart contract, it should be) you’ve got to take that.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Why would 2 right side defenseman play together....that's just dumb
Barring an epidemic striking only RHS on this team, Smith not likely to play RD again for us. It’s not even his dominant side, and we have Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA and McQuaid all as natural RD. More likely Smith or Staal get moved after this season, but either way Smith is a LD now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Barring an epidemic striking only RHS on this team, Smith not likely to play RD again for us. It’s not even his dominant side, and we have Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA and McQuaid all as natural RD. More likely Smith or Staal get moved after this season, but either way Smith is a LD now.
I'm talking about McQuaid playing with shatty.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I really like a.d.a.

Shatty is a much much much better defenseman.
Maybe now, but what about in 2-3 years? Shattenkirk will decline (if he hasn’t already started to), and ADA may or may not flourish. The potential is there, we are rebuilding, we aren’t focused on winning, and Shattenkirk is taking up the role that could be ADA’s and/or Pionk’s. Maybe they won’t excel in that role now. Maybe they never will. But Shattenkirk does not fit into the Rangers’ time frame to win. We don’t really need him, honestly. He’ll be around 34 by the time we start competing for the Cup again (not extremely old, but still pretty old).

Also, I’m not saying that we have to get rid of him. We can keep him for now. No need to rush anything just yet, but if the choice was between him, Tony, and Neal, I would trade Kevin in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad