Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m skeptical that an Eichel deal would actually come to fruition, but the logic behind it would be that you’d have three forwards that can carry a line entirely by themselves for next season. You backfill the depth with whatever remaining pieces you have and go from there. Your top-4 D is set for next year, and you’d still have space to bring in guys on short term deals.

I’m still hesitant about Eichel, but there’s no doubt the kid is an absolute monster with a chip on his shoulder to win. He’s always been a fierce competitor, and Buffalo hasn’t done him any favors to build a team around him.

It seems wonky, but you’d have to roll a lineup like PIT did with Crosby-Malkin-Kessel with this template:

LW-Eichel-RW
LW-Mika-RW
Panarin-3C-RW
4L

If I had to plug in pieces for who I think would still be here, we’re looking at a skeleton roster like this:

Lafreniere-Eichel-RW
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-3C-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-PDG

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen-RD

Options I’d like to see for short-term deals at RW and RD are Craig Smith and Dylan DeMelo. I left out Barron and the UDFAs on purpose, but they’re obviously in the running to fill out depth F spots.

Reactions: Trxjw

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I’ll just add while it’s fun to talk about big names like eichel, when you already have a number 1 center 27 years old and more importantly have a super star winger in Panarin and potentially 2 more in Lafreniere and Kakko, Lafreniere especially a guy that drives play just from the wing, it seems less important to add a 10 mil center to that group. A guy that plays solid 2 way Hockey who’s good at getting the puck to these guys and who’s points probably outrun his salary because these wingers elevate him is a more responsible way to build the team imo.

I love being in a position of power like this. If the price is within reason, they can jump. If not, there is no pressure for the Rangers. They can just as easily stay the current course and let all of the kids grow up. It's a win-win situation, and ultimately a credit to the job JG has done (draft lottery luck aside).

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
I don't necessarily think that JE's salary and Mika's next salary are interlinked, there are many many factors at play.

I think the general rational is, if you ever have a chance to land a guy like Eichel(for a reasonable return obviously), you go out and you do it. You worry about cap juggling later.
Exactly. Tampa knew that this offseason was looming with their cap issues but they went for it. They were going to have to gut the team one way or another but they played to win it all.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't necessarily think that JE's salary and Mika's next salary are interlinked, there are many many factors at play.

I think the general rational is, if you ever have a chance to land a guy like Eichel(for a reasonable return obviously), you go out and you do it. You worry about cap juggling later.
Also, he seems tô fit better with our timeline. You could get a decade plus with Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox as your core players.
Panarin will be there too.
Zibanejad is amazing, but with his health issues, I don't see him being this season good into his 33+ years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m skeptical that an Eichel deal would actually come to fruition, but the logic behind it would be that you’d have three forwards that can carry a line entirely by themselves for next season. You backfill the depth with whatever remaining pieces you have and go from there. Your top-4 D is set for next year, and you’d still have space to bring in guys on short term deals.

I’m still hesitant about Eichel, but there’s no doubt the kid is an absolute monster with a chip on his shoulder to win. He’s always been a fierce competitor, and Buffalo hasn’t done him any favors to build a team around him.

It seems wonky, but you’d have to roll a lineup like PIT did with Crosby-Malkin-Kessel with this template:

LW-Eichel-RW
LW-Mika-RW
Panarin-3C-RW
4L

If I had to plug in pieces for who I think would still be here, we’re looking at a skeleton roster like this:

Lafreniere-Eichel-RW
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-3C-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-PDG

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen-RD

Options I’d like to see for short-term deals at RW and RD are Craig Smith and Dylan DeMelo. I left out Barron and the UDFAs on purpose, but they’re obviously in the running to fill out depth F spots.

YASSSS!

Especially in this market, he could be a really, really nice steal.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016

LW-Eichel-RW
LW-Mika-RW
Panarin-3C-RW
4L

Lafreniere-Eichel-RW
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-3C-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-PDG

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen-RD

Panarin playing with a 3rd line center? You lost me on that one.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
If Eichel has privately demanded out, then Buffalo will have to take what they can get. Rangers aren't going to include the #1 pick or Kakko.
Eichel isn’t coming here at least not now . I understand our fanbase gets excited every time a rumor comes out that it’s definitely happening but the odds are very slim. Buffalo isn’t giving him away. I’ve already heard they have Gorton a probable cost and Gorton basically walked away.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Eichel isn’t coming here. I understand our fanbase gets excited every time a rumor comes out that it’s definitely happening but the odds are very slim. Buffalo isn’t giving him away. I’ve already heard they have Gorton a probable cost and Gorton basically walked away.

he’s only going to cost ADA and Chytil with nobody able to beat that offer.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

LW-Eichel-RW
LW-Mika-RW
Panarin-3C-RW
4L

Lafreniere-Eichel-RW
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-3C-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-PDG

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen-RD

Well, and there's nothing that says both Chytil and Buchnevich (or Kravtsov) would have to leave to make a prospective Eichel deal happen. Or that if they did go, they wouldn't bring back respectable players at similar positions. You're not necessarily looking at UFA filler to man those blank RW and 3C spots.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think if JG goes for Eichal Mika will not be included and will be looking to open the window next year.

Say if he gets a deal for Eichel for ADA Krav Robertson and the 22

Lineup could be:
KZB
Panarin-Eichel-Kakko
Laf Chytil Gauthier
Lemiuex Howden DiGiuseppe/Barron

Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Hajek Smith

Trade Strome for assets maybe a LD

And go to battle. D is suspect but that is as lethal of an offense there is in the league.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

LW-Eichel-RW
LW-Mika-RW
Panarin-3C-RW
4L

Lafreniere-Eichel-RW
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-3C-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-PDG

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen-RD

Exactly where my head is at. Spread out the top-guys to create a match-up nightmare and fill in the holes with young guys and the cheap talent that is likely to hit the open market in a few days.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's more than a one for one though.

It's trading for having BOTH of them for 2 seasons, insurance if Mika goes down/leaves in 2 years.

I don't see it happening since Buffalo already picked up that bonus, unless of course Jack said "I will never play for you again"

But I'm not sure we're contender for the next two years.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would rather have Hampus Lindholm if we're making big moves :dunno:

Or do both and just blow it up when Lafreniere's ELC is up. Agents of chaos.

Reactions: I Eat Crow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad