Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have no idea; but apparently Edmonton was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a deal of Buch+ for #8 and Pool Party. And Zegras was on the board with that pick.

I have to imagine it’s not as rare as some are making it seem.

Where did you hear this and what happened? Also, why did you go ruin my day? :(

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kasparaitis wow. I remember that summer when free agency started. I was taking summer classes at college but running to the computer lab in between classes to check to see who was getting signed.
Summer of Bobby Holik. What a time.

I remember bragging to fellow summer analysts at an internship about the Drury/Gomez double signing. I think I said "Cup is ours."

Reactions: egelband and NYR94

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Where did you hear this and what happened? Also, why did you go ruin my day? :(

Edge was reporting on it during the draft. We were on the phone with Edmonton while they were on the clock. That’s why they let the time get down to like 20 seconds.... we were negotiating right to the end for that pick. The deal was around Buch and another add, maybe Vesey? For 8 and Puljujarvi.

Obviously Edmonton said no but from what Edge was telling us, there was legit consideration given to it, and the deal got close before they ended up making their own pick.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I remember bragging to fellow summer analysts at an internship about the Druy/Gomez double signing. I think I said "Cup is ours."

I remember telling my friend Sather did a great job signing them while sitting in the movie theater waiting for Transformers to start.

I have questionable hockey knowledge and poor taste in movies.

Reactions: egelband and Crease

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
They have $3.9 m in cap space. Names puts them slightly over.
:huh: w-what did Chiarelli do?? Lucic, McDavid, Draisitl can't be all of it...
edit: ok, so RNH, Koskinen, Larsson, Klefbom take up a fair bit of change but how is their roster so unappealing outside their top players at their cap #?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Edge was reporting on it during the draft. We were on the phone with Edmonton while they were on the clock. That’s why they let the time get down to like 20 seconds.... we were negotiating right to the end for that pick. The deal was around Buch and another add, maybe Vesey? For 8 and Puljujarvi.

Obviously Edmonton said no but from what Edge was telling us, there was legit consideration given to it, and the deal got close before they ended up making their own pick.

Well that's a bummer, especially now that we have Panarin, ugh.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Panarin - Zibanejad - Kravtsov
Buchnevich - Chytil - Kakko
Namestnikov - Howden - Strome
Lemieux - Andersson - Fast
Nieves

Skjei - Trouba
Hajek - DeAngelo
Rykov - Fast
Staal

Lundqvist
Georgiev/Shestyorkin

Trade Kreider for a 2020 1st or young center

Trade Shattenkirk (50%) and a 2020 3rd for another 2020 7th

Let’s go

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Are we really complaining about Panarin's English speaking? Really? REALLY?

You know I hope he never does an interview in English.

Theres something incredibly cool about having the team's highest paid and best player have a translator present at all of his interviews.

It should present a nice press conference dynamic. Kind of like Ichiro with the Mariners

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Two ongoing conversations were with Edmonton and Colorado respectively.

Edmonton revolved around Buch for the 8th pick. It also, at various points, included talk about moving Names and JP in an expanded deal.

Colorado revolved around Kreider and the 16th pick, with Kaut being a name that came up at different times.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Thank goodness.
@NYR Viper:
giphy.gif

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Two ongoing conversations were with Edmonton and Colorado respectively.

Edmonton revolved around Buch for the 8th pick. It also, at various points, included talk about moving Names and JP in an expanded deal.

Colorado revolved around Kreider and the 16th pick, with Kaut being a name that came up at different times.
I really felt strongly that they would add a top6 C prospect this draft... Whether it was Zegras or Newhook.

Is there a plan C?

Going back to Colorado... did they balk at #16 AND Kaut... Would they do Newhook and a mid pick?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
:huh: w-what did Chiarelli do?? Lucic, McDavid, Draisitl can't be all of it...

$4-million in cap space used up by buyouts to Pouliot, Sekera and Gryba. The actual roster just isn't very good, but even average players get paid so the cap space goes fast especially when you're overpaying some of them.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I remember bragging to fellow summer analysts at an internship about the Drury/Gomez double signing. I think I said "Cup is ours."

You weren’t alone. I still vividly remember sitting in the Garden on opening night that season while the whole place (except for me it seemed) chanted “We want the Cup!”. Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad