Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Every time(and I really mean every time like they are aware Panarin will be 28 and they just gave him so much money while at the same time are preaching patience and process).

Crazy right? And why when management speaks, they say he has no mileage on him? Only 4 years in the league. What the other 5+ years in the KHL don't matter? It is ridiculous. They are trying to sell us on a ridiculously high extended contract, like we haven't seen this before. I don't see anyway the Rangers won't get stuck with this 11 mil cap hit up the road.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I still believe Panarin signing is off from a timing perspective based on where the NYR were. That was an incredibly bold and risky move. There is a decent chance he is still a top 20 player in 4-5 years, but there is also a >0% chance that his contract is a huge hindrance to this entire rebuild and I’m struggling with that trade off.

Reactions: Riche16

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In an ever increasing cap world, CH% >>>>> raw AAV $$$

Pretty sure I saw that players and agents are moving towards CH% in their salary discussions.

As they should. It's nice to see that GMs, players and agents are finally adjusting to the salary cap. Only took them 15 years

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Your offbase man. They spent the money this summer bc the quality of the two guys, they will be letting contracts expire, and using the money that frees up on extending the players who emerge as core players.

It’s likely they forecast who will/might be available in the summer of 2020, and 2021 to determine hey if we held off on bringing in these high level guys, could we realistically get players better or at least of their caliber or should we get these guys now and have them helping from the start.

Rangers likely won’t make a big splash or signing in UFA now for another 3-4 years. Money will go to resigning core players and/or players targeted in hockey trades.
We hope that's what's they do. It's still speculation at this point.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I think that most of the times Quinn benched someone like Buchnevich or DeAngelo last year it was to send a message that they could be better. I dont think anyone believes Staal needs to have a fire lit under him. He's trying but injuries have taken their toll. Sitting him won't really help.
I have spoken on this ad nauseam a couple of pages back. I never miss a game. Had I seen Staal play as badly as you guys say he is,... trust me, I would be with you 100%. I don't want some liability on our blueline. But the fact remains he hasn't played that bad, and that there were other defenders who played a lot worse. In fact, Quinn and Ruff have scratched each and every D-men with the exception of Staal last year. And it wasn't to give them time off to rest. It was strictly to put the best players on the ice at any given time.

I don't know what else to tell you. Staal will get his usual 18-19 minutes this year, because he will earn it.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Since it's a slow week, here's something to think about...

The Blackhawks won The Stanley Cup in 2010 during Kane & Toews 3rd season. They had some young talent pre-2007-08 (Keith and Seabrook) but made most of their major changes in 2008 and beyond. That included running off some bad contracts, making a few key free agent signings and developing some additional players. Hockey teams do not take forever to rebuild (unless of course you are the Arizona Coyotes)

I'm asking for a lot here but that's the model I'd like to see the Rangers follow.
Personally, I want the NYR to create their own model that other teams point to for the next 2 decades but hey... I’m greedy like that.

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I can't believe we're back to trying to defend Staal again with "because the coaches played him a lot" and the more laughable "I watched every game" arguments.

:facepalm:
You don't like my argument? Then how bout you explain why he will earn an average of 18- 19 minutes per game this season?

This is really a no brainer. Don't understand all the pushback. He is still our best defender.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Crazy right? And why when management speaks, they say he has no mileage on him? Only 4 years in the league. What the other 5+ years in the KHL don't matter? It is ridiculous. They are trying to sell us on a ridiculously high extended contract, like we haven't seen this before. I don't see anyway the Rangers won't get stuck with this 11 mil cap hit up the road.
The KHL is less physical and less taxing overall. KHL years aren’t meaningless, but KHL miles aren’t the same as NHL.

Hence why NHL retirees or AHL all-stars who couldn’t stick here can go over there and dominate.

Reactions: RGY

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
"The KHL is less physical and less taxing overall. "

Ok, still it is over 5 years in time. And say maybe 3 years comparable to NHL in games played. But the way management explains it, you would think he has many more years to play. And that may be so, but certainly not at a high caliber worth 11 mil a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
You don't like my argument? Then how bout you explain why he will earn an average of 18- 19 minutes per game this season?

This is really a no brainer. Don't understand all the pushback. He is still our best defender.

wut

you literally just retorted to don't appeal to authority with another appeal to authority...

Reactions: Mac n Gs

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Kappo’s an 18 year old on his ELC.

Panarin’s a 28 year old with 81m invested.

Every player Is 1 hit away from an injury in hockey. Not every player has an 11M cap hit for the next 7 years.

Risk comes with every move made though right? It's unavoidable. Let's say Kakko and/or Krav develop into top line players, won't we basically view them as part of the core of the team? Would you avoid signing them, lets say through their age 34 season, because you fear they might have an injury and result in a sunk cost?

I'm not saying the Panarin signing was right our wrong. I have my reservations but I see the calculated risk Gorts and co took. Just wondering, if Panarin was our own player for the past four years, would that change the paradigm from which we view the signing?

I can't believe we're back to trying to defend Staal again with "because the coaches played him a lot" and the more laughable "I watched every game" arguments.

:facepalm:

Don't forget the "Experienced in building EA sports NHL rosters" argument.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I really don't need to repeat all the evidence and arguments on here that have been made over the last few seasons about how he's a bad defenseman.

Lots of video/statistical evidence he is pretty much all negative value the last few seasons. Not a lot of video or statistical evidence to that he's been good the last few seasons.

To think he's been the best defender is hilarious.

But, ya know, "he gets the big minutes" or something empty like that. Not even wasting any further time on this.

Reactions: RGY

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

The assertion that Marc Staal is our best defender is so absurd it does not even merit being refuted.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I love Staalsy, but he has been bad for a few years now. Surprising to see this come up as a debate.

Are you really though? Some things are certain...

Some point in year: Death

April: Taxes

August: Machinehead's Ultimate Pessimism Tour, Kovalev27's "Gorton's asleep at the wheel" decree, and people eschewing reality in defense of an aggrieved player.

Can't wait for November: Discussion on player being a bust/future star, based on a month sample size.

and my favorite, December: Overreaction to player being sat or demoted, for a time, in the lineup.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Marc Staal is atrocious. Unable to get into position he continually reaches with his stick which doesn’t do anything to disrupt the puck carrier or pass. He can’t win a puck battle in the corner, can’t skate the puck up ice, he can’t make the breakout pass, can’t shoot, doesn’t hit and was ranked almost dead last in hits 2 years ago (haven’t bothered checking last years numbers) and is a weight on the cap.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I really don't need to repeat all the evidence and arguments on here that have been made over the last few seasons about how he's a bad defenseman.

Lots of video/statistical evidence he is pretty much all negative value the last few seasons. Not a lot of video or statistical evidence to that he's been good the last few seasons.

To think he's been the best defender is hilarious.

But, ya know, "he gets the big minutes" or something empty like that. Not even wasting any further time on this.
How bout answering the question posed? Instead of making excuses not to answer.

If you don't like my argument? Then how bout you explain why he will earn an average of 18- 19 minutes per game this season? Or why he averaged that last year? And not third pair minutes?

If you can't answer these questions, then you have no valid argument.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How bout answering the question posed? Instead of making excuses not to answer.

If you don't like my argument? Then how bout you explain why he will earn an average of 18- 19 minutes per game this season? Or why he averaged that last year? And not third pair minutes?

If you can't answer these questions, then you have no valid argument.

The only thing worse than Marc Staal’s defense is this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad