Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wouldn't mind getting someone like Greenway, but it's not going to be one for one with Kreider.

Last edited:

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I like Eriksson Ek but that's probably a case of seeing a guy have a couple good games against us, he hasn't started to put up points yet

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I keep loading this page hoping Ruff is gone.

Maybe he's the 'governor'... He's going to limit our success, so we can have another lottery pick

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
My understanding is that he's been trying to trade him non-stop since like January.

He was. The guy simply had zero value. There is definitely something funky about that knee injury -- something that we aren't being made aware of. It was supposed to be a 4-6 week injury, the guy was gone for 5 months, and then didn't look the same. Basically for half of his signed contract he legit could not play up to replacement level because of how severe that injury is. Time will tell how fast he gets signed -- I haven't seen anything about tons of suitors lining up to grab him at a reduced salary. If he makes closer to an AHL bury-able salary, that will all but confirm by suspicions

Reactions: egelband

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As someone noted in the last few pages, the underlying problem to all these bad decisions was empty prospect pool especially at RD. The team was forced to resign Girardi and Staal and then replace Stralman with Boyle.

It actually came down to that 10th overall pick of McIlrath f*** up. If the Rangers take Fowler instead, Staal is never resigned----OR----McIlrath actually panned out, Girardi is never resigned.

That's my thought, anyway

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It actually came down to that 10th overall pick of McIlrath **** up. If the Rangers take Fowler instead, Staal is never resigned----OR----McIlrath actually panned out, Girardi is never resigned.

That's my thought, anyway
If McIlrath was able to take Girardi's top-pairing minutes at age 21? Dammit, so close!

Reactions: mike14

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What are the Rangers plans for Smith? He is signed for two more seasons. Sending him to the AHL saves $1,075,000 on the cap but the player replacing him with make $925,000. Maybe a little less depending on which young kid is playing. The Rangers aren’t saving much money. The remaining cap of $3.275M counts against the cap. Smith in the AHL sees them have $9.5M in bad cap space. The $5,394,444 invested in the Girardi, Shattenkirk and Spooner buyouts. $825,000 for Beleskey playing in the AHL. $3.275M for Smith. The Rangers are playing with a $72M cap.

Buying out Smith next summer doesn’t save much money because Smith is owed a $1M signing bonus in 20-21 and that money is guaranteed. That’s the only signing bonus money in the contract. That screws up any buyout next summer.

The Rangers would save just $1,566,667 and take a $2,783,333 cap hit for 20-21 and $783,333 for 21-22.

It’s only a less than $500k difference sending the player to the AHL in 20-21 than buying him out and there is more bad cap money for 21-22.

$1,566,667 instead of $1,075,000. $491,667.

The average salary remains the same in 20-21. $700,000.

Sending Smith to the AHL in 20-21 sees the Rangers with $10,769,444 in bad cap space. That’s insane.

Smith's salary in the final season after the Signing bonus is brings the contract to a $4.35M Cap hit with a $2.35M Salary -- $2M less salary than his cap hit. 50% retention on that brings him to a 2.175M cap hit and a $1M salary. Toss in a mid round pick as a sweetener and I see no reason a team doesn't bite on that if they need D depth.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Smith's salary in the final season after the Signing bonus is brings the contract to a $4.35M Cap hit with a $2.35M Salary -- $2M less salary than his cap hit. 50% retention on that brings him to a 2.175M cap hit and a $1M salary. Toss in a mid round pick as a sweetener and I see no reason a team doesn't bite on that if they need D depth.

Or take back a contract like Mike Condon's this season where he was making more in his final year than his first.

Condon had a $2.25m cap hit with a $3m salary.

Smith has a $4.25m cap hit with $2.175m salary

That's the type of deal I would expect a team like Ottawa to make

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I keep thinking about this past draft and EDM / COL... we couldn’t add a 3rd or something to seal the deal with one of those teams for Buch or Kreids respectively? I know they’d have to accept but I find it odd that we didn’t pull that trigger having dealt for Trouba already (knowing his salary & term)

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I keep thinking about this past draft and EDM / COL... we couldn’t add a 3rd or something to seal the deal with one of those teams for Buch or Kreids respectively? I know they’d have to accept but I find it odd that we didn’t pull that trigger having dealt for Trouba already (knowing his salary & term)

Once Newhook dropped into the Avs lap it was never going to happen

Reactions: bl02

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
If there is someone to try and get on Minnesota it's Kevin Fiala.

I like Fiala a lot but can't see Minnesota trading him or Greenway. If its Minnesota I would go hard after Kaprizov. It is Kreider being dealt that we're talking about right? lol Kaprizov has another season for SKA and I have no idea if he's anxious to play for the Wild next season but I have no doubt he would love to play in NY with this roster. Can't see the Wild trading him and if they do it wouldn't include a 1st which is fine by me... thoughts of Kaprizov and Kravtsov on the same line would be deadly. Whether its Chytil or Andersson that gets that 2C position either would thrive playing alongside those two. I wouldn't think twice about adding a D prospect to Kreider if it meant getting Kaprizov.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Broberg was heavily linked with Edmonton before the draft too, and I never thought the value for those trades lined up. Maybe we would have had to throw in our second or something.

With Stepan to the Yotes and JT Miller to the Canucks, those teams were paying extra for the term (say whatever you want about that decision, especially the Miller trade).

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Or take back a contract like Mike Condon's this season where he was making more in his final year than his first.

Condon had a $2.25m cap hit with a $3m salary.

Smith has a $4.25m cap hit with $2.175m salary

That's the type of deal I would expect a team like Ottawa to make

OTT currently has a cap roll of $65.8M
OTT is about $5.8M over the cap floor right now
Cap floor is $60.2M right now

Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Next year after Smith's signing bonus is paid out they would probably go for it. The cap floor this year is $60.2M, Ottawa has a TON of contracts expiring after this season
$10.45M - MacArthur and Callahan in LTIR cap space
$4.75M - Craig Anderson
$3.5M - Ron Hainsey
$4M - Boedkker
$3.1M- Pageau
$2.9M - Tierney

$28.7M coming off the books, and That's just IN the BIG contracts coming off (over $2.9M).
Cap floor probably going up with the cap, so lets assume $62M
$37.1M Cap Roll

They would be $24.9M under the cap at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad