Value of: Ross Colton

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Seravalli speculating the Avs might be interested in moving on from Colton, I think it would be interesting to see what the best offer is for him.

Colton is an offensive 3C who has some grit and great playoff experience. He’s 27 and has 3 more years at $4m.

Coming off his best offensive season (17g+23a in 80 games) what is the best offer for Colton?

The Avs would be looking for cap space and/or a replacement 3c that is more affordable.
They just traded for him

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
We actually do.

Unless you think we're up for some miracle turnaround this year, that's a top 35 draft pick.

For a rebuilding team, that's worth inordinately more to the Sharks than Ross Colton, who will be a few months off 29, when the 2025 draft rolls around. The guy has played on two NHL rosters choc full of firepower and only reached 40 points once - he's a bottom 6 player.

Whatever you think of Thomas Bordeleau's value, that's deluded asset management for a rebuilding team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson and Holmberg?

I figure the Avs want cheap productive NHL players.

Robertson's pt/game is similar to Colton

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
In 3rd C spot they will have Ritchie.
After see him played, he's NHL ready.
So Colton can be traded to cleared cap space to bring back Drouin and Trenin.
Colton is a pretty good 3rd liner but Colorado got cheaper option with young talent in Ritchie.
To me if they can have a late 1st for Colton they need to trade it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Unless you think we're up for some miracle turnaround this year, that's a top 35 draft pick.

For a rebuilding team, that's worth inordinately more to the Sharks than Ross Colton, who will be a few months off 29, when the 2025 draft rolls around. The guy has played on two NHL rosters choc full of firepower and only reached 40 points once - he's a bottom 6 player.

Whatever you think of Thomas Bordeleau's value, that's deluded asset management for a rebuilding team.
When will people finally understand the 35th pick just isn't that valuable? No, another Halttunen or Lund or Bordeleau for that matter does not move the needle for the Sharks compared to adding a versatile middle six NHL forward still in the prime of his career.

Colton would be an ideal LW to play on a line with Celebrini and Smith this season. He could then slide to 3C for the next few years once we trade Nico Sturm. After that, you either trade him and likely recoup much of the price paid (because GMs are always looking for Cup winners who play the right way) or extend him if he's still effective.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
When will people finally understand the 35th pick just isn't that valuable? No, another Halttunen or Lund or Bordeleau for that matter does not move the needle for the Sharks compared to adding a versatile middle six NHL forward still in the prime of his career.

Colton would be an ideal LW to play on a line with Celebrini and Smith this season. He could then slide to 3C for the next few years once we trade Nico Sturm. After that, you either trade him and likely recoup much of the price paid (because GMs are always looking for Cup winners who play the right way) or extend him if he's still effective.

The fact we have a disparity in our valuations doesn't mean I don't understand.
This is a rebuilding team and you can't look at the asset values in isolation of that fact. Roll the dice, trust your staff.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Holtz+ a third?
If Holtz was getting moved, he would have been moved already to either San Jose, or Calgary.

I expect he could come available next year though depending on the Clarke, Gritysuk, Palat, and UFA situations tho. (RFA time is usually when these guys are moved. Dach, Newhook, Romanov).

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Colton has been that bad? He's the perfect #3C who can also play on the wing if needed.
He hasn't been bad at all, but he's not a natural center and it shows. Hes a bang and crasher who can score points but isn't great defensively, average at best. He doesn't PK, barely plays the PP and he makes 4 million for a cash strapped team like the Avs.

The fit just isn't really there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He hasn't been bad at all, but he's not a natural center and it shows. Hes a bang and crasher who can score points but isn't great defensively, average at best. He doesn't PK, barely plays the PP and he makes 4 million for a cash strapped team like the Avs.

I'd rescind my offer of Holmberg and Robertson then.

Need an actual 3C and ideally PK help.

He sounds like average middle 6 forward, someone will definitely want him though.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I'd rescind my offer of Holmberg and Robertson then.

Need an actual 3C and ideally PK help.

He sounds like average middle 6 forward, someone will definitely want him though.
Ok I'll let Chris MacFarland know that WTFMAN99 rescinded his offer of Holmberg and Robertson. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

He's not even good in front of net? How does he score points if he can't do much of anything?

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I’d like to see him on the devils to take ride the wing with Hughes and Bratt but be the guy taking faceoffs. Keep haula from having to be the guy that plays that role. I’d want to work something without holtz involved though.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Who said he wasn't good in front of the net?
I just thought that a guy like him could be used on the PP before the net, but you wrote that he is almost never used on the PP. I just want to understand what Ross Colton is good at.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just thought that a guy like him could be used on the PP before the net, but you wrote that he is almost never used on the PP. I just want to understand what Ross Colton is good at.
he's not better than Nichushkin or Lehkonen in front of the net, so we didn't get much time to evaluate him there

Reactions: Fjordy

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Ehhhh, I think those thoughts pretty much died this year. He spent a lot of time as the Avs 2C and didn't ever really get the production to go along with it.

He pretty much is what he is at this point. Solid 3rd liner who can play physical, score goals at a 2nd line pace, but isn't reliable defensively. FWIW at $4M, not overpaid at all, pretty much paid exactly what he should be for what he brings.

I think wherever he goes(And I still doubt Colorado actually trades him btw), they should play him back at LW. That's where he's most efficient and can create the most havoc on his line.
I mean if he's fed #1 PP time on a bad team I wouldn't be surprised if he got to 60 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad