Value of: Ross Colton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Doesn't make sense for the Avs to move Colton for futures unless they flip those to get another 3C. Basically they just need a cheaper 3C if they are moving Colton - they don't have anyone else in the lineup.

I'm not a big Bordeleau fan and I don't think Ritchie is ready. Only return from NJ likely centers around Haula, and NJ can decide whether they want to put Colton or Mercer at 3C.

It's a tough trade because he should just be a winger, but the Avs have too many wingers, and if they move him they open up a huge hole in the lineup, and if they go cheaper they likely sacrifice quality.
Haula would be an option but he's not going to waive.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Or the Avs could trade Colton for futures now then draw from their pool of futures at the deadline to acquire a premium 3C instead of settling for Haula.

That’s just it, but it does somewhat come down to having at least a viable 3C between then and the deadline. Is Bordeleau capable of playing 3C?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Or the Avs could trade Colton for futures now then draw from their pool of futures at the deadline to acquire a premium 3C instead of settling for Haula.
They still need a warm body there until the deadline as to not expose and potentially ruin the development of a guy like Ritchie.

They can package Haula with these futures for this premium 3C you speak of.

A big reason the Avs lost this year in the eyes of fans is the coach running the top players into the ground over the regular season. You need some quality throughout your lineup to help ease the load and keep the top guys fresh for playoffs. Either way, Bednar likely Bednars

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If I were the devils, I'd honestly go get him. If you have to marginally overpay, whatever. His starting point isn't going to be high enough that an "overpay" is going to be that impactful.

But I'd plop him on Jack's wing and let's see if he makes a nice jump in production, but he's a great fit for what they may want for Jack. Physical, will win board battles, will get grumpy on opponents. Can take faceoffs. Jack is always going to control the play when he's out there so I don't mind trying a guy like Colton with him
I've been saying this since he left for CO! He's the perfect player to pick up for this team, and yes with Hughes. Honestly Jersey should grab Trenin and Duhaime its what they need on the bottom line as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forge

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I guess the question becomes, what would you consider a slight overpay?

Right now there are values of 2nd+Krebs, 2nd+Bordeleau, Joseph+mid round pick. I would say that suggest that based on offers that value is floating around an earlier 2nd+3rd.
I think if a 1st comes into play is probably where it gets out of reach.

NJDs likely advantage in this scenario is presumably timeline and NTCs. Ross Colton (new jersey native who has publically stated he'd love to play for his hometown team), has a full NTC that activates in 12 days. So most other potential buyers are likely on a 12 day time limit. NJD is not

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That’s just it, but it does somewhat come down to having at least a viable 3C between then and the deadline. Is Bordeleau capable of playing 3C?
Probably not, he’s more of a long term project to develop a Kerfoot style LW. We could include Nico Sturm but Avs would need to send a 3rd or 4th back.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
If I were the devils, I'd honestly go get him. If you have to marginally overpay, whatever. His starting point isn't going to be high enough that an "overpay" is going to be that impactful.

But I'd plop him on Jack's wing and let's see if he makes a nice jump in production, but he's a great fit for what they may want for Jack. Physical, will win board battles, will get grumpy on opponents. Can take faceoffs. Jack is always going to control the play when he's out there so I don't mind trying a guy like Colton with him
the type of player the devils need.

i think his value is the same as last year. early 2nd or very late 1st range.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I’d certainly be interested in something around Holtz

do the Avs need young goalies? We could throw back Daws too, or a mid round pick.

With Daws, Schmid, Poulter and Malek (next year) in the system, we're kind of full in the goalie prospect department

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Avs need practically everything, but a 3G is definitely a need as they currently don’t have a viable one.
Daws can provide that as a waiver exempt option who can play some NHL games if necessary. Probably a step above anyone you can find who is bad enough to clear waivers.

Reactions: Perratrooper

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So would Devils fans be on board with a Holtz+Daws for Colton trade?
I'm sure some would, but I wouldn't, and the NJD front office wouldn't. If you want a cost controlled asset to play in your top 6 (scoring role), I'd recommend Clarke. less pedigree, but he leads the AHL in 5v5 scoring over the last 2 years. A lot like Zetterlund in terms of being a dominant AHL player without a slot to play in for a top 6/9 offensive role. Also both high shot volume scorers as opposed to snipers.

I think you'd be quite happy with him. 2nd (better of 2)+Clarke+Daws would be my offer I think. Not sure it competes with Bordeleau or Krebs (I think I'd prefer Krebs then Clarke then Bordeleau, who feels like a PP merchant to me with 20% of ice his time on the PP and only 4 points at even strength in 27 games)

For context, I value Holtz higher than the 2025 1st+Bahl that we gave up for retained markstrom. And Holtz+picks (not a 1st) was the alleged offer that got vetoed by ownership at the deadline for 3 years of a retained markstrom.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'm sure some would, but I wouldn't, and the NJD front office wouldn't. If you want a cost controlled asset to play in your top 6 (scoring role), I'd recommend Clarke. less pedigree, but he leads the AHL in 5v5 scoring over the last 2 years. A lot like Zetterlund in terms of being a dominant AHL player without a slot to play in for a top 6/9 offensive role. Also both high shot volume scorers as opposed to snipers.

I think you'd be quite happy with him. 2nd (better of 2)+Clarke+Daws would be my offer I think. Not sure it competes with Bordeleau or Krebs (I think I'd prefer Krebs then Clarke then Bordeleau, who feels like a PP merchant to me with 20% of ice his time on the PP and only 4 points at even strength in 27 games)

For context, I value Holtz higher than the 2025 1st+Bahl that we gave up for retained markstrom. And Holtz+picks (not a 1st) was the alleged offer that got vetoed by ownership at the deadline for 3 years of a retained markstrom.

I suppose it depends on what the feeling of need and perceived value. Colton with no contract went for an early second (likely comparable to a late 2025 first in terms of value). I would say his value with cost certainty, a year or center and his best year under his belt suggests his value has improved. Now I’m not saying Holtz+multiple picks is correct, but I would think Holtz+third would be bordering on close?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pontus Holmberg

25 years old making 800K who also plays center and had 17 points in 50 odd games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad