GDT: Rookie Tournament- Habs vs Sens (Monday Sept 18 @ 1:30PM EST) youtube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not Beck's best effort loses the faceoff on the PP and the puck ends up in our net. Mailloux Roy and Trudeau with some decent plays and Florian WTF dangles at the blue drawing a penalty gets a decent shot off from the slot and then that setup from behind the net. The kid has some hockey in him. Go Figure...

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Impressed by Trudeau. He looks amazing offensively.

Mailloux’s skating, passing, vision looks like NHL level. He’s gonna be in the big league before long. Not impossible it’s this year.

Roy is also looking good. Ahead of guys like Heineman and Farrell. I want to see him play with talented linemates in the preseason, I think he will shine.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That play was on the other D on the ice at the same time , Trudeau came formthe other side and was the first guy back.
Trudeau seemed to just coast back once he knew he had the angle and allowed the sens player to take his time with the shot.

That's why I say a little on him.

Taking your time, or not from that angle Spunar should be able to stop it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Farrell
Kidney
Mesar

Terrible.
Kidney showed crazy hands one play near the end. Got the pass off too. Mesar I saw little things. At least I thought it was him. lol. It's hard to tell at times. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Farrell really is a turnover machine.

Wow is Roy good though.

From what I saw: Roy, Mailloux, Trudeau, Reinbacher looked really good. Struble had a nice little offensive zone display.

All in all they look pretty solid as a whole so far. They controlled the play imo.

bighab

Mar 27, 2022
Charlottetown
Future looks so bright on defence. Can't wait to see a few of these guys in pre-season action.

My guess is Mailoux will be exposed quite severely in the defensive zone, but impress with NHL talent in the O zone. I imagine he'll drop the gloves sooner or later, too. He's going to be getting chirped a lot out there.

Reinbacher looks excellent in his own end, and in transition. If he pots a couple points, I think it'll be really hard to send him overseas. He reminds of Jake Sanderson soooo much, but a righty. In an ideal world I'd send him to Laval & call him up some time after the deadline - once Savard is moved 👀

Touringy is a nice surprise. I see Chris Wideman. I dont expect him to be a Hab in the long run, but he could be a nice #7 for a team looking for a powerplay guy in a few years.

Trudeau is so poised out there. He'll be called up this year, without a doubt. I don't see too many holes in his game.

And I have no clue what to do about Struble, he looks like a player too. I can't wait til he starts hitting.

With the guys we have in the NHL, I think we'll be moving some of these defenders sooner than later.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
How?

A man amongst children would be rushing the puck and doing whatever he wants with it. He's not doing that.

He's skating, he's making solid passes and good positionally. I wouldn't hold my previously mentioned turnover against him, but a man amongst children dominates and he's clearly not dominating.
I feel that everytime he touch the puck he make the right play without even pushing the pace to hard right now. I really feel he's going to impress with NHL players.

I hope he's back at Kloten for another season but I believe he's not far from the NHL right now.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
too many forwards, stuck with that fat cow Armia stealing a kid's spot. I don't mind letting him dominate the AHL this year though. No need to rush. For now I'd like RHP and Ylonen to play.
I do think hell be sent down because we have too many players but he wont stay in Laval long. This is the kid that was drafted 1stOV in the Q not the 5th round pick we got really lucky on.

I have no idea what people are talking about.

Based on these 2 games and almost a period three isn't a single hab that's a hard cut.

They're all easily cut based on how things have gone so far.
For me, its only Roy that might have the potential to skip the A this year and develop well in the bigs. When you watch closely all his little plays. The seams he finds in between players legs, the deception he has, his play against the boards and his shot, he looks like he'd be a great add on the top 2 lines. His skating is weak but getting better. Other than that, this kid is solid.

habstradamus

Jul 1, 2018
Brussels, Belgium
Defencemen:

Reinbacher started out the period confident with good plays but after a few mistakes toned it down and played safe. He looked frustrated out there. Looking for more from him in the next 2 periods.

Trudeau is slippery. He showed nice things out there.

The player of the period was Mailloux. He was calm and made the right plays at the right time. Let's hope he keeps it up. If he could keep the pace in this game and in training camp, I see him as a difficult cut.

But... it's only one period in a rookie tournament.

Forwards:

I thought all played well. Nobody necessarily stood out for me. That being said, I was mostly looking at defensemen.

I felt Riley continued to struggle. He needs to get that monkey off of him. Would be nice for him to score one and play confident.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Future looks so bright on defence. Can't wait to see a few of these guys in pre-season action.

My guess is Mailoux will be exposed quite severely in the defensive zone, but impress with NHL talent in the O zone. I imagine he'll drop the gloves sooner or later, too. He's going to be getting chirped a lot out there.

Reinbacher looks excellent in his own end, and in transition. If he pots a couple points, I think it'll be really hard to send him overseas. He reminds of Jake Sanderson soooo much, but a righty. In an ideal world I'd send him to Laval & call him up some time after the deadline - once Savard is moved 👀

Touringy is a nice surprise. I see Chris Wideman. I dont expect him to be a Hab in the long run, but he could be a nice #7 for a team looking for a powerplay guy in a few years.

Trudeau is so poised out there. He'll be called up this year, without a doubt. I don't see too many holes in his game.

And I have no clue what to do about Struble, he looks like a player too. I can't wait til he starts hitting.

With the guys we have in the NHL, I think we'll be moving some of these defenders sooner than later.
+ Hutson + Engstrom and even Bogdan, I think our defence is set for the next 10-15 years.

Now at forward position.....Cricket.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I'm a fan of Riley McKay, I hope he make the team in Laval this season, he remind me of Steve Bégin.

Reactions: MadMslm

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I feel that everytime he touch the puck he make the right play without even pushing the pace to hard right now. I really feel he's going to impress with NHL players.

I hope he's back at Kloten for another season but I believe he's not far from the NHL right now.
Agree.

Perfect type of game for the NHL.

Bet he’s gonna add some more offense to his game before we see him with the habs.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
No Jump to go along with his 6 extra pounds? :dunno:
Right now, nope lol

I'm not quite sure what his approach is to all this.. is this him at 100% or is this him at 70%?, the answer to both is concerning honestly

I'm just more astounded that, when it comes to him, my mindset is yeah yeah 5 on 5 is wtv with him for now but I NEED to see something when he's on the powerplay..

And he's been ATROCIOUS on the PP, getting pressured and manhandled every single time he has the puck
I thought he'd be thriving in those moments but early returns are bad bad bad right now

Reactions: Big Lurk

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I haven't watched any of these games, but is there any indication that ANY of these guys can possible make the big team? I haven't seen any comments indicating as such. Are any of them going to be invited to the Habs training camp though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad