Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No I get that. Basset was the majority owner though if not mistaken. Under TPP and B&Rogers LarryT has essentially been the boss. It's always a failure
read Dick Beddoes' Ballard biography, Smythe and Ballard hated the blue blood Basset, but had enough of a moral compass not to screw him out of the deal when the opportunity arose, they kept their word and got rid of him soon enough without being snakes about it. Things have changed since the 1960's..........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How many Leafs games are going to be on TSN now?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I

Why would they want a US franchise?
The talk has never been about Bell and NHL expansion. It's always been MLB and Montreal Expos 2.0 expansion.

That way they own a team and have sole control over broadcasts and programming for their channels for the entirety of the summer the way Rogers has with the Blue Jays.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The talk has never been about Bell and NHL expansion. It's always been MLB and Montreal Expos 2.0 expansion.

That way they own a team and have sole control over broadcasts and programming for their channels for the entirety of the summer the way Rogers has with the Blue Jays.
That makes more sense although I thought Baseball doesn't like corporate ownership?

Found this

These days MLB doesn't allow corporate ownership–current exceptions like the Blue Jays are grandfathered in—but the league's comfort with institutions as owners could come from its long history of corporate ownership of franchises, with the Angels, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Mariners and Yankees among the teams that were

Reactions: therealkoho

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
First impression? This really sucks.

Rogers, in general, is incompetent at everything it touches: They had a ready-made and successful template for HNIC and messed that up. Sportsnet broadcasts and content is far worse than what TSN offers. And, of course, their cable, internet, and mobile services are junk as well.

Beyond that, this deal has Ed Rogers' fingerprints all over it. He's known to be squabbling with Bell and Tanenbaum over the last few years and he appears to crave the spotlight. For the first time since Stavro or even Ballard, I suspect we are about to have an owner who meddles in the day-to-day business of the team. I hope I'm wrong.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
First impression? This really sucks.

Rogers, in general, is incompetent at everything it touches: They had a ready-made and successful template for HNIC and messed that up. Sportsnet broadcasts and content is far worse than what TSN offers. And, of course, their cable, internet, and mobile services are junk as well.

Beyond that, this deal has Ed Rogers' fingerprints all over it. He's known to be squabbling with Bell and Tanenbaum over the last few years and he appears to crave the spotlight. For the first time since Stavro or even Ballard, I suspect we are about to have an owner who meddles in the day-to-day business of the team. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope so too.

Wonder if the fan base will evolve from hating the players to hating the Owner? That would be refreshing.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Doesn't matter who owns this team or any other professional sports team: we will all pay more to watch sports because a growing percentage of games will be on streaming services.

This is the side effect f the death of cable. With cable, expensive channels like sports were bundled with their channels, so the cost of those channels was spread out over the whole subscriber base whether a subscriber wanted sports or not. Now, sports fans are effectively having to pay the whole cost for sports programming without non-sports fans subsidizing the cost.

Reactions: Evilhomer

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just don't refer to him as a #1D :sarcasm:
The evil LarryT used to want his son-in-law referred to as such, and then pressured JFj to pay him like numero uno baby!

Just shows how valuable the Leafs are and how much they would spend on team payroll if they could. Bluejay payroll about 220million, Leafs about 85 million. More fans follow the Leafs than the Jays
Sure I suppose, but the Leafs don't get that big juicy cheque that the Jay's get from MLB and from what I hear, it's a doozy!

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's easier for the commisioner to deal directly with the guy who makes the final decision, rather than a guy who might have to consult with others.
Makes sense.
Also, they wouldn't want the fortunes of the Team to be tied to the success of the company.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Perfect guy to shill a narrative, Ron MacLean will do anything for a dollar, even if it’s throwing the guy who saved your job under the bus…….
Gahh!! Simmons is such a butt-hurt bonehead. Hey, ya dope! Say I own a GIANT Communications company....and I just made a huge move. There are essentially 2 major sports TV outlets in the country...I own one of them...and the guys I just bought out own the other. Who the f*** do you think I'm going to do my first interview with? Jeez, he's such a knob! And btw...Ron McLean is NOT a journalist. He's a commentator...with no loyalty to anything but the guy who signs his paycheque. It's not his job to REPORT. It is his job to do as he is told...by said guy.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad