Rogers Communications has acquired BCE’s 37.5% stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How many owners have we been through?

It is quite a few over the decades, and results really don't change much.
Ballard bad
Stavro good
TPP bad
Roger s and Bell bad
Rogers maybe good?

LarryT has had a leadership role in tpp and with rogers and Bell. If Rogers runs it like Stavro maybe we will be OK.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just curious why Larry T is evil?

He was in control that way with tpp. JFJ could not rebuild because of him apparently. He is a known meddler to my understanding.

True enough. I met Stavros many times, such a lovely man but what a terrible owner.
He was an awesome owner. 4 conference finals in his 10 years or so? Way better than any other owner in the past 50 years

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We’ve seen plenty of reports that Rogers and Bell regularly butt heads behind the scenes so could be good in that regard.

Also I don’t think you can really draw any parallels with the Jays. Leafs are a money maker at a different level as far as I can tell, while being better than the Jays and having a much lower cap

I would not be shocked if Rogers end up with 100% ownership in the near future and then join the Jays into MLSE

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
This definitely will end the gridlock in the boardroom, and that could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing.

I had long hoped Bell and Rogers would make a trade and one would give up their stake in return for the rights to another team in the GTA, one red, one blue, and epic battles could follow, but alas, Bell needs the $ to pay down their debt and keep funding their dividend.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So...Bell is out in terms of team ownership but still very much in when it comes to broadcasting the team's games. According to The Sun, published reports even list Rogers with having the opportunity to buy Tanenbaum's stake in the team as of July 2026. In all honesty, the team has been owned both by individuals (Ballard, Stavro) and corporations (Bell, Rogers). The order of the day will still be to spend the money and spend it wisely.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't think this will have a negative impact on the franchise. Ownership will still spend to the limits of the salary cap and invest in the top candidates available for managerial, coaching, scouting, development, and supporting staff.

As always, the key will be how that money is spent.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
HAROLD BALLARD, JOHN BASSETT, STAFFORD SMYTHE
Years

1961-1971

So last success came while owned by more than 1 person.

No I get that. Basset was the majority owner though if not mistaken. Under TPP and B&Rogers LarryT has essentially been the boss. It's always a failure

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's just the 1st intermission when CBC has HNiC and their nose stuck in the broadcast. Once CBC is finally excluded which will or should be soon, it will go back to being a hockey broadcast, instead of what it's currently posing as.
I find the midweek games to be bad, compared with other team’s broadcast. TNT and TSN are the gold standard.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not really but I’m curious in what way you mean. There’s only one way that I think it could be meant that holds much validity and even then it tends to be overstated a bit.
They're a worse company, worse broadcaster, they've done a pretty poor job with other teams they control, and from what I remember of reporting, Bell often seemed to be the adult in the room when it came to Leaf-based disagreements. Though as I said, the bigger concern is any one entity gaining total control.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Rogers is worse than Bell. People dislike individual owners because of meddling. Giving an individual company unimpeded majority power just gets us closer to that.
People only dislike individuals or corporations when they lose. Gotta blame. We all know you cannot blame the Mitchys of the team.
They all interfere, they all have budgets, they all have processes and too many fingers in the pie.
Cowboys, Bills, Lions, Chiefs...
Leafs, Canadiens, Raptors, TFC,
The key to failure is not just sole ownership or corporate ownership.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Solo owners are also motivated to start cheapening out on team expenses if their other business ventures stop being as profitable
Oh, and Bell sold because they didn't need the money...hmmm
Ralph was cheap for Bills, 4 Superbowls, Pegula is not...
Hunts were cheap, Chiefs have #3 coming.
Point is, there is no rule,

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Bruins fan in Toronto here;

Just wanna say it's wild how much phone/internet plans are here then a company spends $4+ billion to acquire this. We're getting screwed so hard & I hate it.

Hopefully my Bell bill goes down now but somehow it'll go up $20/month

Good luck this season :)

Reactions: HolyCrap

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't really follow the Jays, what impact have they had other than spending money?
Just shows how valuable the Leafs are and how much they would spend on team payroll if they could. Bluejay payroll about 220million, Leafs about 85 million. More fans follow the Leafs than the Jays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad