The next Jack Adams coach is... I'll Keefe you in suspense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
if the sabres make the playoffs i don't see how you don't give it to Lindy. returns to his old franchise to end the longest playoff drought in the NHL

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Regularly making the playoffs is still a considerable upgrade for this team so I'm not complaining...

Yet. *shifty eyes*
principal-skinner-yes.gif

Reactions: RickyLafleur

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
I agree with you, but the reality is that Cooper assisted in getting the Bolts over the hump. Back to back Cups in the 21st Century is no small feat. He should have won a Jack Adams at some point in the past.
You're not wrong, but those Tampa teams were absolutely stacked with future HOFers. Fair or not, it would have been a bigger story if he HADN'T won.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Keefe is a good coach. He got the shaft in Toronto.

Devils did good adding Dillon. Their GM shit the bed last year by not getting a NHL goaltender but that looks better this year. Keep Jack out of IR and this seems reasonable.

He had an all star team in Toronto and couldnt get them to work, sorry but he's completely overrated.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
He had an all star team in Toronto and couldnt get them to work, sorry but he's completely overrated.
He had zero authority over the overpaid "stars" on the team. That was never more apparent than when they made him publicly apologize for saying they had a bad game. Shannahan let's the inmates run the asylum. That's why the Leafs are the way they are.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
There were no All Star caliber goaltenders or defenders on any of his teams. They have the 4. All forwards.
Leafs lose in the playoffs because their stars don't score. Goaltending has been more than adequate outside of Samsonov.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Leafs lose in the playoffs because their stars don't score. Goaltending has been more than adequate outside of Samsonov.
I’m not even implying Markstrom is an All Star caliber anymore but none of those Leafs teams were built from the net out (regardless of whether or not their big 4 were performing haha).

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I’m not even implying Markstrom is an All Star caliber anymore but none of those Leafs teams were built from the net out (regardless of whether or not their big 4 were performing haha).
The stats are the stats. Look at the number of goals they scored getting bounced by Boston this year. The heavy contracts are gutless when it matters. Goaltending isn't an issue.

Reactions: HabsQC

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Devils were a good bet to improve again regardless of coach, and new coaches/teams making jumps in the standings always get more Adams support over established teams/coaches so Keefe seems like one of the obvious front runners.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Devils were a good bet to improve again regardless of coach, and new coaches/teams making jumps in the standings always get more Adams support over established teams/coaches so Keefe seems like one of the obvious front runners.
Exactly. The award is very narrative driven, and the winners are often coaches who take a bad team and go far with them. Jersey was bad last year. The fact that other problems have been fixed is a minor footnote.

But, Jersey did used to be good. If a true bottom feeder becomes a playoff team I could see that coach winning.

There could also be the drama of it. Keefe could be a fun one to vote for

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Bruce Broudeau recently talked about changes he expects to see under Berube for the Leafa:

1) he said Leafs PP evwryone wantws the puck and he thinks players eventually quit listening to Guy Boucher.

2) The Leafs will be more conservative under Berube wont immediately jump into offense when they get possession. Which will lead to less season points but Leafs should be more prepared for playoffs.

He never directly calls Keefe out, but reading between the lines, one would assume he didnt think the Leafs were well coached.

Ive had the same thoughts as Bruce though... Leafs always are a very loose undiciplined team that play loose in the playoffs and their own mistakes cost them.

A couple years ago Trotz had alludes to the same thing... he thought the Leafs core played too high risk in playoffs, though he thought he saw improvements.

Trotz was talking about the players but again, them being undiciplined is on Keefe. The sad part was that the only time Keefe was mildly critical of the core 4 players, he immediately walked back his comments the next interview.

Hes been learning slowly through the school of hard knocks but has a ways to go still. As a fan, its disheartening that Dubas/Shanahan hired this guy with only 4 Ahl seasons and 2 OHL seasons of coaching experience and no real mentorship during that span (and a very limited playing career of experience) to coach the most talented Leaf team since their last Stanley Cup... real NHL coaches are well aware how green he is.

Another Keefe gem...One game Marner in the season, Marner turned the puck over 3 times in one period. 2 ended up in the Leafs net and the 3rd was a sensational save by the Leaf goalie. Keefes response was to bench him for one whole entire shift!

Hopefully he has more balls in Jersey.. but I also dont think he is one to prepare very hard himself. He doesnt strike me as a guy with a good work ethic. Hes a likeable guy, thats the only good I have to say.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I have no real opinion on Keefe yet, but i always enjoy reading fans opinions of coaches. It’s always based entirely on nothing. Just search up the thread about the panthers hiring Maurice. I made it 4 pages or so and it’s 95% wondering why the panthers are throwing away their chances and hiring a lame duck retread coach. They have more series wins with Maurice in 2 years as they do in their entire history before him. All NHL coaches are pretty good, it’s just circumstances that can skew perception positively or negatively.

Devils fans wanted Lindy Ruff fired two games into the best regular season they ever had. Then the next season every thing goes wrong and they disappoint and he’s fired. He was no better or worse than the year before, just a new set of circumstances. Hopefully keefe and the devils roster have whatever alchemy it takes to be successful.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Bruce Broudeau recently talked about changes he expects to see under Berube for the Leafa:

1) he said Leafs PP evwryone wantws the puck and he thinks players eventually quit listening to Guy Boucher.

2) The Leafs will be more conservative under Berube wont immediately jump into offense when they get possession. Which will lead to less season points but Leafs should be more prepared for playoffs.

He never directly calls Keefe out, but reading between the lines, one would assume he didnt think the Leafs were well coached.

Ive had the same thoughts as Bruce though... Leafs always are a very loose undiciplined team that play loose in the playoffs and their own mistakes cost them.

A couple years ago Trotz had alludes to the same thing... he thought the Leafs core played too high risk in playoffs, though he thought he saw improvements.

Trotz was talking about the players but again, them being undiciplined is on Keefe. The sad part was that the only time Keefe was mildly critical of the core 4 players, he immediately walked back his comments the next interview.

Hes been learning slowly through the school of hard knocks but has a ways to go still. As a fan, its disheartening that Dubas/Shanahan hired this guy with only 4 Ahl seasons and 2 OHL seasons of coaching experience and no real mentorship during that span (and a very limited playing career of experience) to coach the most talented Leaf team since their last Stanley Cup... real NHL coaches are well aware how green he is.

Another Keefe gem...One game Marner in the season, Marner turned the puck over 3 times in one period. 2 ended up in the Leafs net and the 3rd was a sensational save by the Leaf goalie. Keefes response was to bench him for one whole entire shift!

Hopefully he has more balls in Jersey.. but I also dont think he is one to prepare very hard himself. He doesnt strike me as a guy with a good work ethic. Hes a likeable guy, thats the only good I have to say.

That is not at all the problem. Seriously, tiring reading this crap. Go watch games 5-7 of that series and tell me the team is playing too loose. Complete opposite, they played the trap basically tried to win 1-0

I have no real opinion on Keefe yet, but i always enjoy reading fans opinions of coaches. It’s always based entirely on nothing. Just search up the thread about the panthers hiring Maurice. I made it 4 pages or so and it’s 95% wondering why the panthers are throwing away their chances and hiring a lame duck retread coach. They have more series wins with Maurice in 2 years as they do in their entire history before him. All NHL coaches are pretty good, it’s just circumstances that can skew perception positively or negatively.

Devils fans wanted Lindy Ruff fired two games into the best regular season they ever had. Then the next season every thing goes wrong and they disappoint and he’s fired. He was no better or worse than the year before, just a new set of circumstances. Hopefully keefe and the devils roster have whatever alchemy it takes to be successful.

In Toronto you can never outrun previous failure. If you improve as a professional regardless of position but still haven't won, the market and haters act like they have never improved.

So IMO it is more likely Keefe continues the tradition of scapegoats in the market moving the cup or getting close pretty quickly after being run out of town

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad