Confirmed with Link: RIP Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Been doing some driving on the highway this weekend and seeing cyclists on the shoulder… Just upsets me.
I was out riding in Drumheller yesterday. The thought of someone plowing me from behind has crossed my mind for years (especially when I often encounter truck drivers who drive too close to cyclists intentionally), but even more so after these recent days.

We did pass a Flames flag at half mast while out there though, so I had to turn back to take a pic.

Attachments

• PXL_20240831_184506424.jpg
    PXL_20240831_184506424.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 3

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I was out riding in Drumheller yesterday. The thought of someone plowing me from behind has crossed my mind for years (especially when I often encounter truck drivers who drive too close to cyclists intentionally), but even more so after these recent days.

We did pass a Flames flag at half mast while out there though, so I had to turn back to take a pic.
I've been wondering how this was effecting you considering your accident. Glad to see you're still out riding despite everything.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I've been wondering how this was effecting you considering your accident. Glad to see you're still out riding despite everything.

Yeah, people die doing everyday, benign, and ordinary things all the time so you can't let that keep you from doing things you love. Each time a car passed me on the highway, the thought of the Gaudreaus did cross my mind, however. If they drove a little too close, I'd think: aren't they aware of all the news over the last couple of days? And if they gave me a wide berth, I'd think: I wonder if they did that considering the tragedy? Of course, I'm sure a lot of it is just in my head too.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, people die doing everyday, benign, and ordinary things all the time so you can't let that keep you from doing things you love. Each time a car passed me on the highway, the thought of the Gaudreaus did cross my mind, however. If they drove a little too close, I'd think: aren't they aware of all the news over the last couple of days? And if they gave me a wide berth, I'd think: I wonder if they did that considering the tragedy? Of course, I'm sure a lot of it is just in my head too.
Our brains work very different with my extreme anxiety :laugh:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I never liked Johnboy as a player or person but this is incredibly sad and tragic for his family. Nobody should have to go through this with two individuals so young. While I don't get it, condolences to those here that are upset by this.

Reactions: Figgy44

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Still can't believe it happened, still in a state of shock. Going to the Dome yesterday to pay respects helped process it a little more. Love you guys and love this city for all the love we've showed the Gaudreau's. I always hoped he'd come back even if it was a one-day contract to announce his retirement, I hope with the blessing of his family of course we retire #13

Jay Harris

Feb 24, 2020
Very tragic and sad news.
Johnny was a great player for the flames and fun to watch.
Such a senseless event and shows how quickly ones life and those close to them change forever.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Tofveve

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I'm finally watching the Barnburner podcast about Gaudreau.... not even 10 minutes in and the tears are flowing.

Reactions: Boomstick

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I know I started watching the flames with y'all after Gaudreau left, so unlike all of you I don't have close to the same attachment to him as a player.

but man have I been sad these past few days. No hockey death has affected me more. The mom and dad going through a parents worst nightmare burying 2 kids, the sister supposed to have one of the happiest days of her life is now forever stained with sadness, the kids never getting to know their fathers, the wives losing the love of their lives..

It's all just so unbelievably sad and senseless.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I know I started watching the flames with y'all after Gaudreau left, so unlike all of you I don't have close to the same attachment to him as a player.

but man have I been sad these past few days. No hockey death has affected me more. The mom and dad going through a parents worst nightmare burying 2 kids, the sister supposed to have one of the happiest days of her life is now forever stained with sadness, the kids never getting to know their fathers, the wives losing the love of their lives..

It's all just so unbelievably sad and senseless.

Yeah, I was having a hard time explaining to eloquently to my wife why I was bummed. Beyond hockey, it was a sad story. But as @Lunatik said, it's seeing someone grow up pass away. Add a lot of the extra facets to what we all know about the Gaudreaus and it is just adding layers of extra salt in the wounds (ie: Parents burying multiple children, planning a funeral at the same time as a wedding, the type of humble guy he was, the rage of a death associated with DUI etc.).

I think perhaps this is why so many of us hockey fans feel like we're so knocked over. There's more than one way to feel connected or reminded of something by this one event.

For me, I kinda just ended work early on Friday, walked away from social media and just spent time with my kids. They have no idea the relevance of what it means to smile with purple gato and skittles and there is no plan for me to post that pic online. We also did a bunch of other stuff over the long weekend. For me, it was an act of reflection and wrestling with my own mortality while also reminding myself to cherish every moment with my family. Things can happen to anyone at any time.

Glancing at social media again yesterday and today... it's still seems like it's all quite raw and unreal as it felt when the news was first released on Friday. The posts by the Gaudreau clan... damn. Especially the Matthew taking care of John one because they have each other. They're strong people and I think those posts are restarting the cycle. Further a reminder that they are amazing people who truly really didn't deserve this.

Guy Gaudreau's health is also of great concern to me now. Horrific thing to have to address for someone of his health situation.

Ugh. We just lost Snowy too. I think that adds to the hurt overflow with the Gaudreau news.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I was having a hard time explaining to eloquently to my wife why I was bummed. Beyond hockey, it was a sad story. But as @Lunatik said, it's seeing someone grow up pass away. Add a lot of the extra facets to what we all know about the Gaudreaus and it is just adding layers of extra salt in the wounds (ie: Parents burying multiple children, planning a funeral at the same time as a wedding, the type of humble guy he was, the rage of a death associated with DUI etc.).

I think perhaps this is why so many of us hockey fans feel like we're so knocked over. There's more than one way to feel connected or reminded of something by this one event.

For me, I kinda just ended work early on Friday, walked away from social media and just spent time with my kids. They have no idea the relevance of what it means to smile with purple gato and skittles and there is no plan for me to post that pic online. We also did a bunch of other stuff over the long weekend. For me, it was an act of reflection and wrestling with my own mortality while also reminding myself to cherish every moment with my family. Things can happen to anyone at any time.

Glancing at social media again yesterday and today... it's still seems like it's all quite raw and unreal as it felt when the news was first released on Friday. The posts by the Gaudreau clan... damn. Especially the Matthew taking care of John one because they have each other. They're strong people and I think those posts are restarting the cycle. Further a reminder that they are amazing people who truly really didn't deserve this.

Guy Gaudreau's health is also of great concern to me now. Horrific thing to have to address for someone of his health situation.

Ugh. We just lost Snowy too. I think that adds to the hurt overflow with the Gaudreau news.
Another thing that I want to add that I couldn't find the words for until now...

Hockey is our safe space... it's a vice that we turn to to help us deal with and escape the realities of life. This has turned that upside down and our safe place is compromised because it's now the source of the pain.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Cole Caufield is changing his number to 13 in honor of Johnny. I think that's so cool. I bet a lot of the up and coming American players looked up to Johnny, especially smaller ones who faced the same hurdles he did to get to the NHL.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

The team addresses the death of JG

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When passing cyclists I always slow down and give them an extremely wide birth. My brother died while cycling when he was hit by a car that was passing him on a country road. If conditions permit I will pull completely into the oncoming lane while passing. None of this half and half shit which sounds like what the one driver did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad