Salary Cap: RIP Capfriendly

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The league should have bought it.

I wonder if the caps ran this by gary first.

Absolute amateur hour. And f*** the caps. Real dick move.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The league doesn't have to buy it, they have every piece of information at their finger tips. They just need to built the web site but they won't. Whether it's the owners or it's bettman, who knows, but they refuse to get with the program that people love screwing around with this stuff.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The league doesn't have to buy it, they have every piece of information at their finger tips. They just need to built the web site but they won't. Whether it's the owners or it's bettman, who knows, but they refuse to get with the program that people love screwing around with this stuff.
Well I hope the league cuts off the data source for wherever capfriendly was getting it.

Reactions: horner and Winger98

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Even easier they don't need to build the site, just make API's to their already existing data centers and let everyone both teams or fans build their own utilities from it. Imagine the fantasy hockey engines we could make, heck you could connected to image reccognition software and get points for playoff beards.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Even worse that an organization valued at $1.6 billion with annual operating income of $74 million as reported by Forbes in 2023 sat there and had a hissy fit at the thought of having to hire someone to build a f***ing database, as if it has never been done before, so they ravaged the public domain. Also, the sob story where they portray it as though this was a multi-year project to get something built is annoying.

Even worse that there are apparently multiple organizations who have zero infrastructure and are left with no other plan. They were using this publicly available website with no affiliation to the league as their one and only gospel; that is shockingly stupid.

This is the type of news that keeps the NHL looking like it's operated by a bunch of f***ing idiots. Don't get me wrong IT IS operated by a bunch of f***ing idiots, but they are so flush with money (estimated $6.2 billion in revenue annually) that they should be able to hire some half decent PR and legal agencies to make them look like they aren't a bunch of f***ing idiots.
I agree with every word, nice rant.

Or maybe that's Ted's end play? Sell Capfriendly to the league? Or maybe charge other teams for services?

Ted always has some sort of end play in mind when he does this shit, usually financial gain. It's certainly not about saving money, because he could've just hired some guys to do it. Or maybe he just wanted to hire the Capfriendly guy, he does know his shit. I've interacted with him once.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I doubt the league could have bought it even if they wanted to. They can’t compete with billionaire owners, they’d be outbid pretty easily, no?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean, the league must have something, right? What are they looking at for reference before they approve any trades or signings? Just a massive Excel spreadsheet? Maybe Quickbooks? I guess I wouldn't put it past them, but man, they have 800 employees, how is there not an internal system available to all teams that standardizes the process and keeps everyone on the same page? Wild. I have to believe other sports leagues generally do this better.

Edit: Just saw your following post that largely asks the same questions, ha.

I mean, it does give some credence to the notion of some of these "capologists" that people praised for being able to manage the roster and salary cap. Guy balanced his checkbook at his desk one time and gained notoriety for being the smartest salary cap mind in the league.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
A new one will be created. I remember having this same conversation after capgeek shutdown.

Reactions: Al48

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
That’s all she wrote….

IMG_2284.jpeg

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

Nah. The league would botch it. Probably take days to update trades and salaries. Nothing would be uploaded until it was %100 league approved and finalized.

Capfriendly was great. 5 minutes after a trade it was already on the site everything updated right away. Flawless site.

Now we've lost both capgeek and capfriendly.

Hopefully puckpedia steps up their game and updates their site past 1999

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

horner

May 22, 2007
The NHL is such a NON fan friendly league.
They are such a small mind league.
The NHL is trying to get more fans involved bur the do stupid shit too turn fans off.
To the NHL this is small potatoes

TO THE FANS THIS IS BIG SHIT.

Note to the NHL vy allowing this to happen you haven't gained more fans you lost a few more again.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why did Washington want the site I don't understand? They don't access to all of this internally? Or they just didn't want the public to? I just don't get it?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Why did Washington want the site I don't understand? They don't access to all of this internally? Or they just didn't want the public to? I just don't get it?
I don't know that Washington will say anything publicly, but Yzerman was asked about sites like CapFriendly and he said while the league does provide them with similar data, he said they do jump on the CF site to quickly get info. Based on what I know about the NHL, the info they provide is probably something bare bones in like an excel spreadsheet. So I can see the interest in using CF due to the very user friendly features, but I don't know what benefit it will provide to the Caps by making it unavailable to the general public and by extension other teams.

Yzerman said something will pop up in its place and I agree with him. It would be nice if it was something more open source and community focused, but so long as we get a replacement we will be fine and there's clearly enough interest for something to pop up in its place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad