Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Don't think he will pass Joe...he needs another cup, a few more personal trophies and a lot more points to catch Sakic.

Its just nice that the franchise season record holder in points is an Av and no longer a Nordique.

He has a good chance to be up there in the discussion at the very least.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why?

If MacK and his core don’t win another Cup, it will remain as Sakic. Stanley Cups are what matters, not individual awards(even though they’re 1-1 in Hart trophies).
I disagree. McDavid is the best player in the league hands down and has no cup. To me it doesn't matter.

Mack is the biggest difference maker and the best player (in comparison to the rest of the league) in Avs/Nords history. If Makar wins a couple more Norris trophies he'll have a case, too. He needs to stop letting one guy pass him every year though.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've decided that I prefer my poutine without any meat on top of it. Just straight cheese and gravy.

-AB, ducking for cover......
Agree 100%. I am a purist when it comes to my poutine. My take is: Don't f*ck with perfection.

Oh and any place that use turkey gravy instead of brown gravy, and anything else than curd cheese should close their doors for ever.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
True, although I’d go to my death bed arguing Forsberg was the better player. His line regularly got the harder matchups intentionally because of Foppa being a 2 way beast.

I also always felt Forsberg at his best was arguably the best player in the game at that time other than a healthy Lemieux or Jagr.
For me Joe was the better player

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Agree 100%. I am a purist when it comes to my poutine. My take is: Don't f*ck with perfection.

Oh and any place that use turkey gravy instead of brown gravy, and anything else than curd cheese should close their doors for ever.
I don't think I've ever seen that. :laugh:

As for the cheese, don't get fooled by the small curds, that's the cheaper stuff and they are almost tasteless (I can explain why if you're curious). As a rule of thumb the bigger the curds the better.

That's the right size:

WVmNN8Q.jpeg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't think I've ever seen that. :laugh:

As for the cheese, don't get fooled by the small curds, that's the cheaper stuff and they are almost tasteless (I can explain why if you're curious). As a rule of thumb the bigger the curds the better.

That's the right size:

WVmNN8Q.jpeg
Yeah I have seen turkey gravy used a few times. A&W for example do.

I agree 100% on the cheese. I am from Quebec originally so I know very well the best curd cheese to use. If it is not squeaky when you chew it you are not using the good stuff and it will usually melt a lot faster in your poutine. I can accept a less squeaky curd but I will not ordered a poutine with turkey gravy.

Reactions: Balthazar

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I disagree. McDavid is the best player in the league hands down and has no cup. To me it doesn't matter.

Mack is the biggest difference maker and the best player (in comparison to the rest of the league) in Avs/Nords history. If Makar wins a couple more Norris trophies he'll have a case, too. He needs to stop letting one guy pass him every year though.
At his best Makar is better than Mack and a bigger difference maker imo. But Mack has a longer sustained period of doing it, and I think historically Makar has a higher upside than Mack. But Makar needs to bounce back from this last season.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
At his best Makar is better than Mack and a bigger difference maker imo. But Mack has a longer sustained period of doing it, and I think historically Makar has a higher upside than Mack. But Makar needs to bounce back from this last season.
Makar confuses me. I feel like he's regressed a bit defensively, but the dude is just so damn good it's hard to tell. Makar doesn't show those flashes of pure will near as much/often as MacKinnon does, but he does have a higher normal level of play that doesn't require flashes or bursts to overwhelm the opposition. He more or less grinds them down over the course of a game with his consistency.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
When Makar is at his very best, IMO he's the clear cut 2nd best player in the league. I don't think we saw that last year with any consistency. Maybe a few games here or there, but not a stretch of 20-30 games like we have seen in the past. He's going to put up bonkers offensive numbers regardless... he's very dynamic, he's paired up with 2 elite forwards very consistently, and he gets a ton of PP time. The offense is just going to be there unless some massive regression happens.

The defense is just the huge question mark... his first 3 seasons, he was at least very good and sometimes elite defensively. The last two seasons have been steps back. Going from arguably elite to very good to good... it isn't horrible, but it is noticeable. It might be more noticable because the Avs are a high end defensive team. For all the screams, most certainly a top 10 team and on the verge of top 5. When Makar was on though, certainly a top 5 if not top 2 or 3 defensive team. It just shines a light on the issue when that happens.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The defense is just the huge question mark... his first 3 seasons, he was at least very good and sometimes elite defensively. The last two seasons have been steps back. Going from arguably elite to very good to good... it isn't horrible, but it is noticeable. It might be more noticable because the Avs are a high end defensive team. For all the screams, most certainly a top 10 team and on the verge of top 5. When Makar was on though, certainly a top 5 if not top 2 or 3 defensive team. It just shines a light on the issue when that happens.

See @Balthazar, the problem was/is Georgiev. The Avs are a top 5 defensive team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Makar confuses me. I feel like he's regressed a bit defensively, but the dude is just so damn good it's hard to tell. Makar doesn't show those flashes of pure will near as much/often as MacKinnon does, but he does have a higher normal level of play that doesn't require flashes or bursts to overwhelm the opposition. He more or less grinds them down over the course of a game with his consistency.
Defensively he wasn’t great last year, but I’m guessing that will just be a blip for him. And if it isn’t than there could be some problems defensively going forwards.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
See @Balthazar, the problem was/is Georgiev. The Avs are a top 5 defensive team.
Good teams make bad goalies look good. Avs did it before this season with Grubauer and Kuemper (and even JoJo and Hutchinson at times).

Best example is the Oilers in the last playoffs after round 1. Skinner was worse than Georgiev and they made it to the cup final.

I remember the series against Dallas with Hutch in net how elite the Avs were at protecting him. They failed in the end but not by much.

The solution of course is getting a goalie that don't need the be protected but the Avs decided it wasn't a priority. If they keep going with the low end 3M starters the skaters will have to protect them better than they did with Georgiev last year.

Last edited:

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Getting closer and closer and closer and closer and closer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad