Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's good, is he?

Obviously I haven't watched a single second of the Habs. The Habs are bad.
Yeah he's a bright spot there. Legit 2/3 who is a rock defensively and the offense has shown signs of coming around. It wouldn't shock me at all to seem him round out into a ~50 point, strong two way #1D. Not a star guy, but a legit #1. If he doesn't progress, he's at least a shutdown top pairing guy. What may hold him back offensively, numbers wise, is the existence of Hutson. Ghule doesn't have the skill to take those roles from Hutson... if Hutson translates.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Montreal seems like they have a bunch of good contracts, but then I actually look at the roster as a whole, and it just screams mid to me. Feels like them they’ve been doing this for 20 years and are going to keep on doing it, atleast for another 10 years

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Montreal seems like they have a bunch of good contracts, but then I actually look at the roster as a whole, and it just screams mid to me. Feels like them they’ve been doing this for 20 years and are going to keep on doing it, atleast for another 10 years
They really need the hyped names to take a step. Slaf showed a lot of promise to end the season, he needs to take another step and be their gamebreaker. Dach actually needs to approach the hype he's had for years and find a way to stay healthy. Caufield needs to actually pop in 40g. Newhook needs to solidify into a 2nd liner. Ghule a #1. Etc. A collection of guys who haven't quite clicked. If they all do, the base is actually pretty solid there. If they don't or even if only half do... it'll be tough to get over the hump.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They really need the hyped names to take a step. Slaf showed a lot of promise to end the season, he needs to take another step and be their gamebreaker. Dach actually needs to approach the hype he's had for years and find a way to stay healthy. Caufield needs to actually pop in 40g. Newhook needs to solidify into a 2nd liner. Ghule a #1. Etc. A collection of guys who haven't quite clicked. If they all do, the base is actually pretty solid there. If they don't or even if only half do... it'll be tough to get over the hump.
Add Demidov, Hutson and Reinbacher coming up. Their defense is super stacked.

IMO the key is Demidov. If he's Kaprizov level they should become legit contenders.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Add Demidov, Hutson and Reinbacher coming up. Their defense is super stacked.

IMO the key is Demidov. If he's Kaprizov level they should become legit contenders.
I'm more worried about their centers... Suzuki is a fantastic player, but is he good enough to be a 1C on a contending team? Do Dach/Newhook take the steps need to secure their spots at center? If not, does Hage progress quick enough to fill that role on the right timeline?

I personally feel they have enough at wing, the likelihood is good enough on defense, in net they have a few options.... center is a pretty large question mark. Beyond that if guys fill out to their hype levels, they should have a good team for a while.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Suzuki would be a dominant 2C, he's an amazingly smart, capable two-play player. I think he's a very good, albeit not super-elite, 1C.

IMO you can build around a guy like that, but they still need a gamebreaker or two elsewhere. I have a feeling this will be a make-or-break year for Dach, and he's gonna break...literally.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Suzuki is good enough at 1C for a team to contend. He showed a lot to me during Montreals two random ass playoff appearances in 20 and 21 for me to believe this is a guy who elevates his play when the games matter.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Suzuki would be a dominant 2C, he's an amazingly smart, capable two-play player. I think he's a very good, albeit not super-elite, 1C.

IMO you can build around a guy like that, but they still need a gamebreaker or two elsewhere. I have a feeling this will be a make-or-break year for Dach, and he's gonna break...literally.
I think the crux of the center spot is that the Habs either need Dach/Newhook/Hage develop into a 1B to have a very good, but not elite 1-2 punch... or one of them needs to surpass Suzuki and allow him to dominate as a 2C.

I think Suzuki is good enough at 1C for a team to contend. He showed a lot to me during Montreals two random ass playoff appearances in 20 and 21 for me to believe this is a guy who elevates his play when the games matter.
This is a good point though I still don't think it would allow them to have a meh 2C. One thing on both of Montreal's runs, Suzuki had Danault pulling all the heavy defensive work. Given their structure now, Suzuki will have to carry that load the next go round.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think the crux of the center spot is that the Habs either need Dach/Newhook/Hage develop into a 1B to have a very good, but not elite 1-2 punch... or one of them needs to surpass Suzuki and allow him to dominate as a 2C.

This is a good point though I still don't think it would allow them to have a meh 2C. One thing on both of Montreal's runs, Suzuki had Danault pulling all the heavy defensive work. Given their structure now, Suzuki will have to carry that load the next go round.
Like I said earlier it's all about Demidov. If he can drive his line like Kaprizov he won't need a good center to play with. Then you can keep Suzuki with Caufield and Slaf on the first line and they'll be fine.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Like I said earlier it's all about Demidov. If he can drive his line like Kaprizov he won't need a good center to play with. Then you can keep Suzuki with Caufield and Slaf on the first line and they'll be fine.
I don't buy that this really happens. Even Ovi, arguably the greatest wing of the last 30 years, needed centers when the playoffs ramped up.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't buy that this really happens. Even Ovi, arguably the greatest wing of the last 30 years, needed centers when the playoffs ramped up.
Only winger I can think of who could perform with meh centers is Patrick Kane, and he's basically a center who just lines up at wing. Q even used him as a center for a while there.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Only winger I can think of who could perform with meh centers is Patrick Kane, and he's basically a center who just lines up at wing. Q even used him as a center for a while there.
Yeah Kane pulled a lot of center duties... but he even played with Richards in 15 (which Richards was washed compared to his prime, but still a decent player), split between Handzus and Toews (Handzus was certainly not capable at that point... but Sharp was also on that line and played a lot of center in his career) in 13, and with Toews in 10. The only Cup winning run where he spent most of his time away from a better center was 13 with Handzus where Sharp was the other wing.

We just haven't seen wings carry lines to Cups. Even if you give it to Kane in 13 (which is valid IMO), that's once in like 40 years. You need centers to have success. It is easier to win without a #1D than it is to win without a good center rotation.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

giphy.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad