Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The fact he’s almost 35 doesn’t make him bad.
D Men age well. I'm just skeptical of adding someone who's going to be 35 this year. But since the Leafs have tried everything else... Why not?

I said this long ago...

Trade Marner to Dallas. Dallas has a TON of young cheap talent, why not grab some? - Mavrik Bourke or Logan Stankoven. If you can add Tanev to the mix, go for it - I just don't want to hear the Leaf faithful bitch and complain about Tanev if he doesn't age well.

Reactions: Al14

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
But he would go on LTIR, isn't that wink wink end game with a long term deal here? I don't think we sign him long long term without a parachute for the club.
If he doesn’t have a NMC in the later years of the contract, can he be sent down to the Marlies ? If so, then he’ll choose LTIR or retire.

The new Matthew’s deal hasn’t even kicked in yet……
It does this season and it’s only for fours years.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe, but it is improved and getting a #1 is easier said than done. We might have to build with 3 or 4 numbers twos? Rielly and Skjei are a start.

Also, serious question here...how many teams have a legit #1 and a deep top four?
This year all 4 semi final teams as well as Col and the Rangers. I don’t think at this point Reilly can be relied on as top minute eating D man. Tanev sure as hell can’t be relied on.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I mean it's pretty obvious they're trying to get the cap hit as low as possible and then they probably dont expect him to count against the cap later on. The negative comments are pretty weird.

Juice the 2-3 years or so he has left. Pretty smart move. Even if you don't like him, it's factual he will outplay his cap hit for at least 2 years.
In two yrs they could be ready to contend for the east if they build the roster right and he will be in the way.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Honestly feel like we’ve entered that era of a failed competitive team who is just throwing shit at the wall. They’re no where near the competitive teams in terms of overall depth. Tanev for 5+ years is extremely laughable. Not to mention we’re trending towards bringing back a worse team than last year and might lose both Domi and Bertuzzi who were pretty noticeable in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
why not sign him for 2 and then after he's home and falls to being that bottom pairing guy get him on league min deals like Gio was.
Because he won’t go for that and they’ll get out bid. Someone will pay him 3-4 x $5-6M.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This year all 4 semi final teams as well as Col and the Rangers. I don’t think at this point Reilly can be relied on as top minute eating D man. Tanev sure as hell can’t be relied on.
What? That is exactly what Tanev is relief on for.

Did you watch him play in the playoffs for Dallas this year?

I mean fair, but do we really expect that to last much longer in his career?
I would hope at least 2 more years of him playing at a high level.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
cool not interested then, and I doubt he get that much on our 7 year deal either in total money + potential earnings beyond that 3-4 year deal.
They have to deal in the real world where they’re competing with 31 other teams for players. Not fantasy land.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What? That is exactly what Tanev is relief on for.

Did you watch him play in the playoffs for Dallas this year?

I would hope at least 2 more years of him playing at a high level.
No I didn’t see many Stars playoff games and they played Edmonton so I didnt see much of that series. A lot of the Houston transplants around here are Stars fans and they said he was playing good.

But he’s still almost 35 and when the Leafs are ready, if they ever are, he’ll be in the way if he signs a ridiculous contract. He should sign with a team that might contend next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad