Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How come?
My opinion is he has the potential to hit 2nd line production with a floor of 3rd line production. He isn’t a late bloomer like Batherson or Formenton where their was/is so much untapped potential, Greig appears to be much more projectable. If I’m wrong about his upside I’ll be extremely pleased.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My opinion is he has the potential to hit 2nd line production with a floor of 3rd line production. He isn’t a late bloomer like Batherson or Formenton where their was/is so much untapped potential, Greig appears to be much more projectable. If I’m wrong about his upside I’ll be extremely pleased.

I see and it's true that Greig is not as "unpredictable" as other recent Sens picks like Batherson, Formenton, Pinto... That being said, if I am not mistaken he was only 159 pounds when drafted. He has started to gain some weight but is still far from his physical peak. That's a disadvantage he has had compared to many peers. But he still impressed the hell out of me in the first 4 AHL games he played right after being drafted. He was a light 18 y/o and looked like far and away our best player. He was better than much older and bigger guys like Formenton, Sokolov, Abramov (although not much bigger), Chlapik, Logan Brown, Logan Shaw... he was seriously impressive for his age and weight. That's when I understood that he was more than a "high floor 3rd liner"

Of top of this pretty wide overall game, he has shown high skill level in the WHL and also remember that goal against Winnipeg and the poise with which he did it? Again, it was damn impressive. You can't see that goal too many times, a thing of beauty

Reactions: aragorn

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I see and it's true that Greig is not as "unpredictable" as other recent Sens picks like Batherson, Formenton, Pinto... That being said, if I am not mistaken he was only 159 pounds when drafted. He has started to gain some weight but is still far from his physical peak. That's a disadvantage he has had compared to many peers. But he still impressed the hell out of me in the first 4 AHL games he played right after being drafted. He was a light 18 y/o and looked like far and away our best player. He was better than much older and bigger guys like Formenton, Sokolov, Abramov (although not much bigger), Chlapik, Logan Brown, Logan Shaw... he was seriously impressive for his age and weight. That's when I understood that he was more than a "high floor 3rd liner"

Of top of this pretty wide overall game, he has shown high skill level in the WHL and also remember that goal against Winnipeg and the poise with which he did it? Again, it was damn impressive. You can't see that goal too many times, a thing of beauty

Well said.
Also, since you posted the video in your post; I'll comment on it's significance.
To pull off a move like that in preseason tells me a few things about Grieg. He's got the "it" factor to become a top-6 forward. He isn't scared to make a mistake and is confident in his skill set. A prospect with a "floor of 3rd line production" doesn't execute that play.

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Greig can eventually push one of Formenton or C. Brown down a line that bodes well for Ottawa's future team. He looks like he has a very good skill set & he's producing like a star in the making. He's not a big guy, but plays with an edge I like & he goes to the dirty areas on the ice. I think Greig has the potential to be a very good player on a future team & should most likely replace White in the lineup at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Greig can eventually push one of Stutzle, Pinto, Formenton or C. Brown down a line that bodes well for Ottawa's future team. He looks like he has a very good skill set & he's producing like a star in the making. He's not a big guy, but plays with an edge I like & he goes to the dirty areas on the ice. I think Greig has the potential to be a very good player on a future team & should most likely replace White in the lineup at some point.

I doubt Greig will push Stutzle down a line. :)

I like Greig and think his style of play will be a good addition to the Senators.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Nah. I think he's a perfect 3rd liner. Maybe he develops more, but right now looking like a bottom 6 player.
I know points don't tell the whole story, but his production in the WHL both this year and last have been impressive. Don't write off his chances to be a 2nd liner just yet.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Formenton-Pinto-Greig

Third line.

And the 'new' NHL third lines aren't what they used to be. Today's third line could easily have the skills of the second lines of the 80s and 90s. Having three lines that can score consistently and are competent defensively is how you win these days.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well technically predicting anyone after first overal will be a first line talent is a hot take.

Well, completely disagree. I did that many times before and it often resulted in making money with hockey cards. It's very possible to look at a player trajectory and project him. For example, I have been high on Batherson and Chabot for years, before they reached the NHL (it was easier for me to track them as they played in the Q). It was a similar story with Erik Karlsson, Mark Stone, Mika Zibanejad, Ducan Keith, Keith Yandle, etc. None of these guys were 1st OA picks but they clearly had top line/pairing potential at one point. I didn't see Mike Hoffman coming though even though I followed him dominate the Q. I missed a ton and overrated several too. I have learned through that process though.

So I have no problem with anybody projecting Greig as a potential first liner, he's a very very good prospect. If someone tells me the same about Tyler Boucher, then I wouldn't agree. He hasn't shown anything to demonstrate he deserves this label so far. Greig's development has been fantastic since being drafted

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
When's his likely NHL debut?

Most definitely next year. Could start off on the big team for a few games, or make his debut sometime during the season. Should stick either after trade deadline or, most likely, the season after.

Nah. I think he's a perfect 3rd liner. Maybe he develops more, but right now looking like a bottom 6 player.

What is this based off of?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Greig has always been a guy who people have disagreed over. This debate isn't new and isn't unique to us... pre-draft there were scouts who thought he had some (probably not high...) chance at 1st line potential and others who saw him as an energy-line player through and through. People tend to generally agree on the floor with lots of variance on the ceiling... but he has certainly made me more confident in his ability to reach that ceiling with his play post-draft.

Personally, for a guy like him, I think putting a hard ceiling is a fools errand. He seems incredibly motivated, multi-faceted, has good talent, very good skater, lots of room to fill out... hopefully he summers with Batherson next door to Marchand because I think a competitive, professional summer environment is exactly what he needs. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to become a 55+ pt player who keep you on your toes at all times when he's on the ice, and I think it's possible he becomes a little bit more than that, even. Whether that is a 1st line or all-star caliber player, who knows, but I certainly don't see why he can't (note: can, not will) play on a good 1st line if he reaches his full potential.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Most definitely next year. Could start off on the big team for a few games, or make his debut sometime during the season. Should stick either after trade deadline or, most likely, the season after.

What is this based off of?

Purely me watching him. So I could be wrong, but I just see a ceiling of a second liner that most likely will top out as a hard to play against 3rd liner.

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have Greig pencilled in to replace White at some point as this team's 3rd line centre in a yr or so if not earlier, but I also think he has top six potential. He seems to do everything well. from the PK to PP, from contributing offensively to playing well defensively, I think he is going to be a very good player for this team at some point soon & maybe very soon.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad