Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
How come I can picture one of Marleau's kids start crying after defeat of an intense game of mini-sticks and Marleau
telling him, "Remember what your daddy told you, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how much money you make.
Isn't that right Matt and Mitch?"

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, I think the team can easily stomach 11 x 8. It's when they get to 11 x 6 or less is when it will be hard to stomach.

Many posters on here are freaking out because "There are only 6 players in the league at 11 mil or above and Leafs can't have 3". This is just the case when you have so much talent, and so much of that talent is young and having insane ELC years.

If the cap jumps you predict happen, there should be tons of players that get over 11 AAV.
I'm sticking to around 10.5 for 6 years as a high water contract. I can't see Marner sitting for more than that (considering that the leafs don't have more space) and the leafs really have little to gain by playing hardball for a better deal for only marginal cap impact. I think it is a deal that they both can live with

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm sticking to around 10.5 for 6 years as a high water contract. I can't see Marner sitting for more than that (considering that the leafs don't have more space) and the leafs really have little to gain by playing hardball for a better deal for only marginal cap impact. I think it is a deal that they both can live with

Still too high. I hope he doesn’t accept. I’d rather he sit before giving him that.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Exactly the contract I was saying the other day.

10 x 6 is ideal. 10.5 is totally tolerable for the team (and keeps offer sheets into the 4 1st round picks compensation).

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Barner needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. If the self-important, delusional creep, who has accomplished sweet-eff all so far, has turned down more than a tenth of a billion dollars (Cdn.), he is toxic waste.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Turning down the Tavares deal is annoying.

At this point, I guess the best we can hope for is a last minute bridge deal?

Dubas is in a bit of a lose-lose situation it seems. Capitulate to Marner, bad contract. Stick to his guns, kick his team's playoff chances in the groin.

Reactions: CDN24

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
With Marner they have a chance. Without him they dont. You save 1mm or so for what exactly?

To make it clear no player is above the team. And that the team will not be held hostage by a young RFA. That alone is worth making a point out of Marner.

Marner is thinking exactly the way you are, which is why he is being unreasonable in the first place. He’s thinking “the Leafs can’t afford NOT to have me, so I’ll just gouge them.” No. I’d him out on his BS and make him sit.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
These "he comes from a great family" arguments, are why Canada doesn't win at anything.

Did Leonard come from a great family before he lead the Raptors the the Promises Land? There is only so much weight one should put on "he comes from a great family" and it should be low on the list. Winners win. People root for their team to win, not because grandpa was a lifetime government employee and dad buys Tim Hortons to the local arena every weekend.

Find talent who can win and win. You get paid to perform and succeed, that's it. Worse, when a GM says that, what does that say to those players who he DOESN'T say that about? The come from trash?

It's the nepotism that stifles success. Often they build a relationship with a family and blow sunshine up their behinds while other parents stay away or just do their thing and let their kid play. Good.

As it is, none on this team have even won a playoff round. Thus, any of them are dispensable.

Canadians never win?

CrosbyGoldenGoal.jpg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Here’s what Dubas should do. Offer Marner 9.5 x 8. When Marner refuses, Dubas should say fine, take that offer, or let’s go to arbitration. I know you don’t have arbitration rights, but we’ll do it anyway, and we’ll be willing to abide by it. If it is lower so be it. Take the 9.5 x 8, arbitrate, or sit.

That's how you do it. Dubas the destroyer will then destroy the CBA. His Matthews deal is destroying everything. The Aho deal is strange haha.

Reactions: CBinTokyo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I find it strange that Dubas would offer $11Mx7 late June (as reported by Dregs this morning). I understand he was motivated to get a deal done and it showed he was negotiating in good faith but he set himself up by not starting with a lower offer.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I know Auston and Mitch are friends but what if we got Paul Marner in a ring with Brian Matthews. Televise it on TSN. I can picture Dreger in Paul's corner rubbing his shoulders with O-dog screaming at him from Matthews' side. Brian sitting there as calm and straight faced as his son.

If Paul wins Mitch gets Auston's contract, if Brian wins he takes Kucherov's. Ratings would be through the roof.

Reactions: Burnie97

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Here to remind everyone again.

Every team that has yet to sign their marquee RFAs needs them way more than we need Marner. NOT a Marner knock at all, but we’re loaded up front, we can absorb his absence better than the other teams.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Here to remind everyone again.

Every team that has yet to sign their marquee RFAs needs them way more than we need Marner. NOT a Marner knock at all, but we’re loaded up front, we can absorb his absence better than the other teams.

I would make him sit. They need to break this mindset of current RFA

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Be happy. It's one of the funnest eras in Leafs history. And Marner is the most entertaining player in the league.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I find it strange that Dubas would offer $11Mx7 late June (as reported by Dregs this morning). I understand he was motivated to get a deal done and it showed he was negotiating in good faith but he set himself up by not starting with a lower offer.

Not my style but I understand what he was trying to do. Putting your best offer on the table from the start. Fine, as long as he doesn’t ever budge, ever.

But that number was way too high to begin with. Even a lower number would’ve been more than generous. Dubas could’ve offered a lower number, and then continued to stick with that all throughout the process, and then the Leafs wouldn’t have to overpay Marner an egregious $11 million on October 1 if he did later accept.

Just utter incompetence from Dubas, and utter greed from Marner, and neither the two of them walk away from this looking good. Although to be fair to Marner, I’d rather be seen as greedy than incompetent.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not my style but I understand what he was trying to do. Putting your best offer on the table from the start. Fine, as long as he doesn’t ever budge, ever.

But that number was way too high to begin with. Even a lower number would’ve been more than generous. Dubas could’ve offered a lower number, and then continued to stick with that all throughout the process, and then the Leafs wouldn’t have to overpay Marner an egregious $11 million on October 1 if he did later accept.

Just utter incompetence from Dubas, and utter greed from Marner, and neither the two of them walk away from this looking good. Although to be fair to Marner, I’d rather be seen as greedy than incompetent.

If 11x7 is the hill Dubas is going to die on and Marner refused before July 1, why not immediately start shopping him rather than not budging for 2 1/2 months. Didn't Dubas understand that the Marner camp had their heads in the clouds and still do ??

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

How do you know he didn't start with a lower offer ?

How do you know that 11x7 is what Dubas said is their top offer ?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

I think it ends up being 3 yrs at around $9M. 7M yr 1, 8M yr 2 and 12M in yr 3. 27/3 for a 9M AAV. Marner gets his short term that he wants, Dubas gets a win on AAV. I think yr 3 has to be higher than Matthews AAV. Then the QO is 12M for year 4.

That IMO for the Leafs is good, it avoids Marner sitting out. And you have 3 years to see if he is really as good as last year would suggest. It also staggers the contract end dates. Yeah he can become UFA in 4 years - so what, you are letting the other one become one in 5.

If it goes to QO in yr 4 it is 39 M total over 4 years still almost 2m/yr less than matthews.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I think it ends up being 3 yrs at around $9M. 7M yr 1, 8M yr 2 and 12M in yr 3. 27/3 for a 9M AAV. Marner gets his short term that he wants, Dubas gets a win on AAV. I think yr 3 has to be higher than Matthews AAV. Then the QO is 12M for year 4.

That IMO for the Leafs is good, it avoids Marner sitting out. And you have 3 years to see if he is really as good as last year would suggest. It also staggers the contract end dates. Yeah he can become UFA in 4 years - so what, you are letting the other one become one in 5.

Then you do this all over again in 3 years, where Marner has all the leverage (Can take the 12m x 1 year and walk).

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad