Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
assuming all of this is genuine and none of it is intentionally being dragged out (the longer this goes the more cash this generates in SO many different ways like radio show listenership, website hits, and so on) - then this means that Marner has been offered Tavares money and it still isn't good enough for him?

This isn't real. There are no other words. It just isn't real. It's what makes me doubt the rumors that we're being fed

Because if it IS real then yeah, the Leafs are sitting this guy out the entire season. I'd say this is the end of it. Marner signs or sits. There is no more negotiating. No one is this stupid, not even the Marner camp

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
assuming all of this is genuine and none of it is intentionally being dragged out (the longer this goes the more cash this generates in SO many different ways like radio show listenership, website hits, and so on) - then this means that Marner has been offered Tavares money and it still isn't good enough for him?

This isn't real. There are no other words. It just isn't real. It's what makes me doubt the rumors that we're being fed

Because if it IS real then yeah, the Leafs are sitting this guy out the entire season. I'd say this is the end of it. Marner signs or sits. There is no more negotiating. No one is this stupid, not even the Marner camp

At that reported offer, its got to be an ultimatum! Sign before camp or sit.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Video not available in my region. What did he say?
Both are buffoons. You saved your brain cells by not listening to them.

Poulin:

- It comes down to a) dollars and b) term [No really :sarcasm:]
- How you allocate the dollars and term (I mean, you can't make this shit up. :sarcasm:)
- High enough qualifying offer in final year.
- He mentions Leafs don't have cap room like last year to accumulate cap space. Marner has to be on roster before October 2nd.
- Saying Marner has to bend on one of the above.

Reid:

- This buzz cut wearing fool believes Marner should be getting the same dollars as Matthews because of raw points and power play. Says he finished 11th in league scoring (with JT) and led team in scoring.
- He believes Marner is a driver of offense, and is as important or more than Matthews. He says he is always healthy, takes the puck up & down ice and makes plays while Auston is just great at scoring goals lmao.
- It's the same, tired, lazy narrative we hear on HF from the Marner faithful.
- Marner gang must've contacted Dregs who was able to probably add Reid onto their camp all for a fresh buzz cut. :sarcasm:

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Mark Hunter raving about how great Marner's family is is grounds enough for dismissal as a prospect evaluator.

Imagine begging your GM to take a guy because you think Paul Marner is a great guy.

These "he comes from a great family" arguments, are why Canada doesn't win at anything.

Did Leonard come from a great family before he lead the Raptors the the Promises Land? There is only so much weight one should put on "he comes from a great family" and it should be low on the list. Winners win. People root for their team to win, not because grandpa was a lifetime government employee and dad buys Tim Hortons to the local arena every weekend.

Find talent who can win and win. You get paid to perform and succeed, that's it. Worse, when a GM says that, what does that say to those players who he DOESN'T say that about? The come from trash?

It's the nepotism that stifles success. Often they build a relationship with a family and blow sunshine up their behinds while other parents stay away or just do their thing and let their kid play. Good.

As it is, none on this team have even won a playoff round. Thus, any of them are dispensable.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Ok now its time to use a timemachine .
Nylander should have been on Tavares wing and Marner whatever on the 3rd line and sparse pp2 time. Nylander would travel with the timemachine so he remember how bad decision it was to hold out. So he play a full season , gets more points on Tavares wing then ever before( I think he would gel better with Tavares then with Matthews). Then we should get Marner for nothing and a sticker.

Ok im awake now, and it sucks...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
These "he comes from a great family" arguments, are why Canada doesn't win at anything.

Did Leonard come from a great family before he lead the Raptors the the Promises Land? There is only so much weight one should put on "he comes from a great family" and it should be low on the list. Winners win. People root for their team to win, not because grandpa was a lifetime government employee and dad buys Tim Hortons to the local arena every weekend.

Find talent who can win and win. You get paid to perform and succeed, that's it. Worse, when a GM says that, what does that say to those players who he DOESN'T say that about? The come from trash?

It's the nepotism that stifles success. Often they build a relationship with a family and blow sunshine up their behinds while other parents stay away or just do their thing and let their kid play. Good.

As it is, none on this team have even won a playoff round. Thus, any of them are dispensable.

Judging by The drama, overpays, player rentals... New boss same as old boss.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
11 mm x 8 is not a vast overpay for marner in the least. It really is kanes cap adjusted rfa contract of around 9.04mm x 5 + 3 years of panarins contract adjusted around 4 % annually for cap inflation. It certainly looks like a massive underpay compared to Matthews. Dubas stepped into a massive hunk of dog shit by giving Matthews that money before he locked in Marner.

Reactions: dsred and CDN24

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
11 mm x 8 is not a vast overpay for marner in the least. It really is kanes cap adjusted rfa contract of around 9.04mm x 5 + 3 years of panarins contract adjusted around 4 % annually for cap inflation. It certainly looks like a massive underpay compared to Matthews. Dubas stepped into a massive hunk of dog **** by giving Matthews that money before he locked in Marner.
That's some weird logic you got there.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Im shocked marner only compares himself to matthews. I think tom brady is the closer comparable. This was he can ask for $25 million per and insist mlse get victoria secrets to throw in a model gf.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
That's some weird logic you got there.
Not weird at all. Marner looking very comparable to Kane in RFA years and a Marner 5 years from now will be light years from Panarin (he is already better). Basic arithmetic is not weird.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Im shocked marner only compares himself to matthews. I think tom brady is the closer comparable. This was he can ask for $25 million per and insist mlse get victoria secrets to throw in a model gf.
Well...like Tom Brady, he will at least have his hair past 30....if you find that at all relevant.:sarcasm:

Reactions: CDN24

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

McKenzie
Lebrun
Friedman
Chris Johnson

Have all said it, it has to be true they are the only 4 legit insiders. Dredger said it too but for me he isn’t a legit insider but if he is for you he also said it

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Not weird at all. Marner looking very comparable to Kane in RFA years and a Marner 5 years from now will be light years from Panarin (he is already better). Basic arithmetic is not weird.

Do you actually think they get that deep into it ? (Actually asking, not trying to be condescending)

Or do they look at comparables, have a number in mind, then Marner looks at Matthews (For some reason) and they meet in the middle ?

11 x 8 to me seems like Leafs were likely around 9.5-10.5 and Marner is stuck on Matthews # (Maybe 12 or 13 on 8 year deal). Leafs sent an offer that meets those in the middle.

11 x 8 is an overpay, but not a huge overpay (500k to 1 mil overpay IMO).

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Do you actually think they get that deep into it ? (Actually asking, not trying to be condescending)

Or do they look at comparables, have a number in mind, then Marner looks at Matthews (For some reason) and they meet in the middle ?

11 x 8 to me seems like Leafs were likely around 9.5-10.5 and Marner is stuck on Matthews # (Maybe 12 or 13 on 8 year deal). Leafs sent an offer that meets those in the middle.

11 x 8 is an overpay, but not a huge overpay (500k to 1 mil overpay IMO).
Im thinking it is an overpay compared to other long term RFA deals. It doesn't really say anything except the economics don't support rfa players on a long term deal. It isn't egregious though. Marner doesn't want a long term deal because the economics push the cap to where it doesn't make sense. The players know the cap will jump in the next few years by a lot. I used 4% as an average but with the new tv deal it will be higher. The long term deal looks terrible from a cap perspective so everyone is freaking out. It would be a better exercise to attempt to equate against a baseline of 5 years so everyone can just calm down. If Dubas leaked 8 years when 8 years was never a consideration, he played dirty.

Reactions: CDN24

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Here’s what Dubas should do. Offer Marner 9.5 x 8. When Marner refuses, Dubas should say fine, take that offer, or let’s go to arbitration. I know you don’t have arbitration rights, but we’ll do it anyway, and we’ll be willing to abide by it. If it is lower so be it. Take the 9.5 x 8, arbitrate, or sit.

Reactions: Dough72

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
At this point I wonder if Marner and his people have sat down and looked at all the costs involved with a continued hold out.

They're probably within $1 million per year and a year of term from an agreement. At the end of the day, Marner has already won based on what I've heard that the Leafs have offered him. By continuing to hold out, his once stellar public image continues to take a beating. The possibility of reduced endorsement earnings is a real possibility. That possible amount of reduced off ice earnings may exceed what he'd gain from a complete win in the Leafs contract negotiations.

I was a Marner fan. Think he's a great kid. My gut tells me that daddy and Ferris are pushing the envelope on this and not him. But he's the one whose image is going to take the long term hit. He was idolized by many in Toronto and around the league prior to this contract impasse. He won't be held in as high esteem by as many no matter when the situation is resolved now.

It's really a shame when the egos of people get so out of control that they feel slighted because another player might be making a few more bucks even though he might be as good as that player. A 21 year old being offered over $100 million Cdn and who feels put upon probably has lost all perspective about how fortunate he is.

I hope Marner and his camp pull their heads out of their derrieres before the PR damage has a long term impact.

No your wrong. He will give another stick to a young fan, give another birthday party to another terminally ill child and continue to be the kind generous person he is. He won’t lose endorsements
Because this is just a process and not going to change the genuine kind person he is,

The rest is just bullshit and the wrong advice he is getting from his team.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Im thinking it is an overpay compared to other long term RFA deals. It doesn't really say anything except the economics don't support rfa players on a long term deal. It isn't egregious though. Marner doesn't want a long term deal because the economics push the cap to where it doesn't make sense. The players know the cap will jump in the next few years by a lot. I used 4% as an average but with the new tv deal it will be higher. The long term deal looks terrible from a cap perspective so everyone is freaking out. It would be a better exercise to attempt to equate against a baseline of 5 years so everyone can just calm down. If Dubas leaked 8 years when 8 years was never a consideration, he played dirty.

Yeah, I think the team can easily stomach 11 x 8. It's when they get to 11 x 6 or less is when it will be hard to stomach.

Many posters on here are freaking out because "There are only 6 players in the league at 11 mil or above and Leafs can't have 3". This is just the case when you have so much talent, and so much of that talent is young and having insane ELC years.

If the cap jumps you predict happen, there should be tons of players that get over 11 AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad