Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Listening to the cam and strick podcast it’s CLEAR to me Andy Strickland hasn’t watched a single oilers playoff game. When cam asked Andy Draisaitl or tkachuk? Andy goes on to say Draisaitl is a 100 foot player and tkachuk plays 200 feet.

Also they’re saying Edmonton has no depth still

I enjoy listening to cam Janssen but Andy makes me shake my head. I think this bias goes for most of the hockey media still, they’re underrating us still.

Anyone who picks turtle over Leon has completely lost it. One is perennial 100 point player who is the 3rd best PPG in the playoffs ever. The other is a Calgary castoff that can barely hold up Leon’s jock

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Tell me you don’t watch Oilers hockey without telling me you don’t watch Oilers hockey.
Obviously lol

Andy sounds like a super insulated child whereas cam Janssen sounds like a typical albertan even though he’s a St. Louis guy.

Todays podcast they are interviewing Chris pronger, assuming it’s touching on the oilers playoff run. Hope it’s a good interview

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They did it for the Boston player in 2011 that had his career ended by a dirty hit. Can’t for the life of me remember his name just know he was clocked by cook and never played again. Either way I was just explaining why they might request it. I know Emily keeps close contact with the team for sure.

Marc Savard, but he was injured the same season they won the Cup.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Obviously lol

Andy sounds like a super insulated child whereas cam Janssen sounds like a typical albertan even though he’s a St. Louis guy.

Todays podcast they are interviewing Chris pronger, assuming it’s touching on the oilers playoff run. Hope it’s a good interview

I don’t listen to it but the Eastern hockey media is quite out of touch with the Oilers. It’s past their bedtime when we play. Even against Dallas we were given 0 chance.

I’m hoping we shove it right up their arse.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Lots of emphasis on Florida having experience in the finals.

Is finals experience versus playoff experience that significantly different?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Listening to the cam and strick podcast it’s CLEAR to me Andy Strickland hasn’t watched a single oilers playoff game. When cam asked Andy Draisaitl or tkachuk? Andy goes on to say Draisaitl is a 100 foot player and tkachuk plays 200 feet.

I enjoy listening to cam Janssen but Andy makes me shake my head. I think this bias goes for most of the hockey media still, they’re underrating us still.

People need to stop listening to people from the east, full stop. Most of them are intelligent enough and know hockey, but they don't know anything about the western teams as they never watch them. Pick a random 21 year old hockey fan in Edmonton, and they know 10x more about the Oilers than hockey professionals from out east. They don't watch the games, so how would they know anything about the teams? Stop reading, or listening to what they say.

Well, yeah, it actually is. The pressure is different and the spotlight is different. Gretzky used to say there were 3 seasons (regular, playoffs and finals), and lots of other players have commented on how the finals were a different animal as well.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

Like i said already. Many talking heads will give the oil no chance and say a lot of shit this week. As predictable as the sun. Same shit was said before Dallas. None of that that idiot said is true

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Let them continue the narrative.

Edmonton has 21 players that have a point in the playoffs. Florida 19
Edmonton has 16 players that have scored a goal in the playoffs. Florida 14
Edmonton has 11 players that have scored 2 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 11
Edmonton has 8 players that have scored 3 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida has 10
Edmonton has 7 players that have 4 or more goals. Florida also 6.
Edmonton has 5 players that have scored 5 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 5.
Edmonton has 4 players that have scored 6 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 4.
Edmonton has 2 players that have scored 8 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 2.
Edmonton has 2 players that have scored 10 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida has 0.

So I guess those two players that scored their 3rd goal before two more of our 2 goal scorers did is the difference between depth and no depth.

Also of note,.. 7 of Florida's goals were empty net goals. Edmonton only 2.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
They did it for the Boston player in 2011 that had his career ended by a dirty hit. Can’t for the life of me remember his name just know he was clocked by cook and never played again. Either way I was just explaining why they might request it. I know Emily keeps close contact with the team for sure.

See my response above
I don't recall that, then I decided to google it, Matt Cooke, he played during the season and was left on the roster.

Anyways, I don't see any point in a player that barely played here getting his named etched on the cup. And that is 4 years ago.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Good point. As a team, this is Edmonton's 9th playoff series in the last 3 years. It's Florida's 10th.

Over the last 5 years, 11 for Edmonton and 12 for Florida. Slight advantage but not gigantic.

Really, the big advantage should be goaltending for Panthers. But Bobrovski actually has the lowest save percentage coming into the series of any of the goalies had going into the previous two rounds (Silovs was .938 before the Edmonton series, Oettinger was .918, and Bobrovski is currently .908 and put up a .844 save percentage in last year's cup final)

Last edited:
Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
News Release - The league has announced today, in an unprecedented move, that the Vancouver Cucks have been awarded the 2023/24 Pretend Stanley Cup. When he was asked why this move was made, head honcho Gary Bet365 said, look, in over 50 years that shithole franchise hasn’t even won a single SC, and never ever will, and I can’t stand their whiny, pathetic bandwagon fanbase complaining everyday, and being obnoxious to everyone on social media. I thought this might be a way to shut them up for a while. He also asked fans to only pretend to riot when celebrating, but then laughed, saying good luck with that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Let them continue the narrative.

Edmonton has 21 players that have a point in the playoffs. Florida 19
Edmonton has 16 players that have scored a goal in the playoffs. Florida 14
Edmonton has 11 players that have scored 2 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 11
Edmonton has 8 players that have scored 3 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida has 10
Edmonton has 7 players that have 4 or more goals. Florida also 6.
Edmonton has 5 players that have scored 5 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 5.
Edmonton has 4 players that have scored 6 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 4.
Edmonton has 2 players that have scored 8 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida also 2.
Edmonton has 2 players that have scored 10 or more goals in the playoffs. Florida has 0.

So I guess those two players that scored their 3rd goal before two more of our 2 goal scorers did is the difference between depth and no depth.

Also of note,.. 7 of Florida's goals were empty net goals. Edmonton only 2.

Get those facts out of here.

Don't you know that the likes of Stenlund, Lorentz, Luosterainen, Rodrigues, Stnelund, Mikkola, Kulikov are miles better than the bottom of the Oilers roster? Throw everything else out, the names on the 3rd and 4th lines and bottom defence pair are the difference.

*disclaimer - I think those names are for the most part quality players, they just aren't any better than ours and its ridiculous that the lazy default narrative seems to be to spin it that way.

Cats711

Apr 24, 2022
UK
Panthers fan in peace.

Even I'm shocked at this. This is nothing more than stupid, lazy reporting.

Takes more than 1 player to win a Stanley Cup. Even if you have a very good team, it's still very hard, only 1 team can win it all (think they forget this & should know better as Dan Marino was a great QB without ever winning the Superbowl).

Look at Boston last season, NYR this season, both were basically handed the Stanley Cup thinking it was their year. Then as soon as they are beat just tear them to shreds.

The media love to build people up to tear them back down.

McDavid is without a doubt the best forward in hockey. Not a single team wouldn't want him, build their team around him.

Edmonton have a scary team (I actually wanted Dallas as feared them less)

Hoping for a great series, that both sets of fans can be proud of, regardless of the outcome.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
Foegele isn't getting back in right now. Gagner is easily as fast as Perry.

I don't know who you think he is, but he's not Brad Malone, Gagner can absolutely play. If he plays sub 10 mins, the team will be just fine. No one is suggesting he get 20+ mins in all situations.
Teams get 52 names to put on the Cup. They can make a case for anyone in the organization. Gagner definitely has one, not sure if they able to make one for others like Joey etc.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Get those facts out of here.

Don't you know that the likes of Stenlund, Lorentz, Luosterainen, Rodrigues, Stnelund, Mikkola, Kulikov are miles better than the bottom of the Oilers roster? Throw everything else out, the names on the 3rd and 4th lines and bottom defence pair are the difference.

*disclaimer - I think those names are for the most part quality players, they just aren't any better than ours and its ridiculous that the lazy default narrative seems to be to spin it that way.

Exactly. Florida's depth is fine, it's just lazy narrative continuing to boast Edmonton's lack of depth these playoff round after round, when the stats I just pointed out were very similar when comparing to Dallas "depth" and Vancouver's "depth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad