Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

From the article. I'm glad Sutherland didn't make the cut. Not a fan of his.

• Jean Hebert #15 – 13 seasons, 96 playoff games, 2nd Cup Final
  • Steve Kozari #40 – 18 seasons, 148 playoff games, 5th Cup Final
  • Dan O’Rourke #9 – 23 seasons, 199 playoff games, 7th Cup Final
  • Chris Rooney #5 – 22 seasons, 167 playoff games, 7th Cup Final

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

From the article. I'm glad Sutherland didn't make the cut. Not a fan of his.

• Jean Hebert #15 – 13 seasons, 96 playoff games, 2nd Cup Final
  • Steve Kozari #40 – 18 seasons, 148 playoff games, 5th Cup Final
  • Dan O’Rourke #9 – 23 seasons, 199 playoff games, 7th Cup Final
  • Chris Rooney #5 – 22 seasons, 167 playoff games, 7th Cup Final

Kozari and Rooney fk my life :facepalm:

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I'm far from Skinner's biggest fan on these boards, but I think it's okay to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was good to great all but one game in the Dallas series and sublime in the series clincher. He was also good vs LA, so it could be he's actually improved these playoffs and the Canucks series was an outlier (a series which the entire team was in their own head vs that team since puck drop game 1 of the regular season).
At this point I’m still not a skinner fan. But the guy is who we have. He got us here. We ride or die at this moment .

There is nothing else to even hope for or talk about at this point. He’s our guy!! I’m in full on “believe” mode

In moustache we trust. Lfg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
At this point I’m still not a skinner fan. But the guy is who we have. He got us here. We ride or die at this moment .

There is nothing else to even hope for or talk about at this point. He’s our guy!! I’m in full on “believe” mode

In moustache we trust. Lfg
I can’t like this enough. My sentiments exactly. Ride or die.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Everyone worried were going to get bullied by the Panthers needs to remember 2022.

Lucic, gubrandson, Ritchie, Lucic, Zadorov.

The narrative is its a bad tradeoff for Kane to be in the box 5 minutes with Lucic.

What happened after the first game? Kane press conference. You go after our best players we'll go after yours.

😎 Gentlemen's sweep follows that first game. Those "muscle" look slow and clumsy.

Chicago, Pittsburgh best these "tough" teams in the finals will pure skill.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I get the whole quality of competition narrative about the Panthers having an apparent harder path to the Cup Final.

However interesting enough when you add up regular season points of their respective playoff opponents Panther opposition had 321 total regular season points and Oiler opponents had 321 total regular season points.
The narrative that does make some sense however is that the Panthers have been in 8 playoff rounds in last two postseasons in a row and that is hard to do, a road to climb, and most teams don't manage that. I think Oilers fans for the first time since 2006 have sensed how long the post season actually is, months, and how hard that is on players and teams that go all the way.

Panthers have played a shitload of playoffs last couple years.

Usually teams are one and done in cap era. Get to final one year, struggle the next.

Reactions: Oilhawks

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Everybody- funny cat avatars for the series vs the Panthers. It's puurfect!

Counter offer - we go full bad guys from the lion king.

447777865_1364481174944164_6660333594729974351_n.jpg

You know - Skar with an Oilers jersey. ;)

NHL apparently can't hire proof readers lol. Stars ain't the oilers, sorry Buttman.

They did hire proof readers, they got a great resume from one of their officials brothers. ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I get the whole quality of competition narrative about the Panthers having an apparent harder path to the Cup Final.

However interesting enough when you add up regular season points of their respective playoff opponents Panther opposition had 321 total regular season points and Oiler opponents had 321 total regular season points.
Yeah, it's kind of a false narrative based solely on the fact that the Panthers likely have faced better goaltending than Edmonton has, but in terms of the quality of teams and those team's ability to win games it's a coin toss.

It is a false narrative. The quality of competition by points is the same for both sides. I really don’t understand how anyone can have the argument that the Eastern path was harder. It’d only be based on reputation and not anything backed by facts.

Everyone worried were going to get bullied by the Panthers needs to remember 2022.

Lucic, gubrandson, Ritchie, Lucic, Zadorov.

The narrative is its a bad tradeoff for Kane to be in the box 5 minutes with Lucic.

What happened after the first game? Kane press conference. You go after our best players we'll go after yours.

😎 Gentlemen's sweep follows that first game. Those "muscle" look slow and clumsy.

Chicago, Pittsburgh best these "tough" teams in the finals will pure skill.

The Oilers have been forged in fire to take on this Panthers challenge. Years of playing the dirtiest team in hockey the Calgary Flames has us more than ready for whatever dirt the Cats can sling.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I have to admit I don't really see the mean, aggressive lineup everyone says FLA has. I saw a comparison of the average size of their lineup and the Oilers.. it was almost the same. So where is that coming from?

They do have their rat quotient filled right up, with the likes of Cousins (who hasn't played all the games, not sure if he's injured or HS'ed for a few) and Tkachuk. Bennett hits, Gadjovich is a knuckle dragging face puncher and a zero factor in the playoffs, and.. who else?

They do have fairly evenly distributed scoring throughout their lineup, so the Oilers' bottom 6 will need to contribute more than they have on the scoresheet. I've also always liked Maurice, and he's clearly got them running a very good game. Saturday can't arrive fast enough.

Reactions: Porkleaker

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have to admit I don't really see the mean, aggressive lineup everyone says FLA has. I saw a comparison of the average size of their lineup and the Oilers.. it was almost the same. So where is that coming from?

They do have their rat quotient filled right up, with the likes of Cousins (who hasn't played all the games, not sure if he's injured or HS'ed for a few) and Tkachuk. Bennett hits, Gadjovich is a knuckle dragging face puncher and a zero factor in the playoffs, and.. who else?

They do have fairly evenly distributed scoring throughout their lineup, so the Oilers' bottom 6 will need to contribute more than they have on the scoresheet. I've also always liked Maurice, and he's clearly got them running a very good game. Saturday can't arrive fast enough.

I’m thinking In terms of rats and physicality they would have Tkachuk, Bennet, Cousins of course.
But also Kulikov can lay some pretty big hits. Ekblad plays a hard game I think, lays the lumber. Lomberg hits to hurt and can do it dirty.
Then there’s a lot of functional toughness through the line up with Barkov and their 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad