Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm kind of expecting a big series from Draisaitl. Not that he was BAD but I thought Dallas was his worst series so far. He's a big guy who plays a physical game and he was starting to look worn down a bit. This break could be huge for guys like him and Kane (of course, I'm sure Florida has players they're saying the same about).

I just don't know how Florida handles this one-two punch. If they completely sell out to stop McDavid, I expect Drai to have his, 'Messier in '84 moment'. If they put Barkov on 29 (against whom he has apparently really strong numbers), then McDavid, I am absolutely convinced, will run wild.

Dont forget he had a busted finger coming out of the Vancouver series. His face-offs, passing and shooting suffered in the Dallas series. But he skated miles and looked great defensively. Hopefully he gets it mostly healed up for the Rat pack.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Just wanted to share, been wearing my Draisaitl Jersey last few days here in Montreal, wore it to Costco today, amazing how many compliments I got and how a lot of fans in the city are pulling for the Oilers. Georges Laraque had Vinny D on his talk show yesterday, he predicts Oilers in 5 , Vinny said he was putting a lot of pressure on them haha

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just wanted to share, been wearing my Draisaitl Jersey last few days here in Montreal, wore it to Costco today, amazing how many compliments I got and how a lot of fans in the city are pulling for the Oilers. Georges Laraque had Vinny D on his talk show yesterday, he predicts Oilers in 5 , Vinny said he was putting a lot of pressure on them haha

I've been wearing my Draisaitl jersey as well and I also predicted the Oilers in 5! Great minds think alike!

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Draisaitl was mostly neutered during the Dallas series, owing either to an injury(ies) or the quality of his linemates. I don't think that having McDavid with the two best wingers, while Draisaitl languishes with bottom six fodder, is very balanced. On top of that, McDavid always gets the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing while Draisaitl gets a combination of Nurse, Ceci, Kulak and Broberg/Desharnais. Especially if Draisaitl is still nursing something, he can use a bit more help on wing and/or the defence pairings that support him. To me, it feels very much like a one-line team and I don't know if we can afford to do that against Florida.
Too bad they broke up that Mcleod-Foegele-Draisaitl line, would have been nice to have that line working like it was during the win streak.

Reactions: fresh meat

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah I find Hab fans to be on the wagon mostly.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Thanks most of us were pulling for you guys in 2021. Especially once you eliminated the Vegas Golden Showers.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Draisaitl was mostly neutered during the Dallas series, owing either to an injury(ies) or the quality of his linemates. I don't think that having McDavid with the two best wingers, while Draisaitl languishes with bottom six fodder, is very balanced. On top of that, McDavid always gets the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing while Draisaitl gets a combination of Nurse, Ceci, Kulak and Broberg/Desharnais. Especially if Draisaitl is still nursing something, he can use a bit more help on wing and/or the defence pairings that support him. To me, it feels very much like a one-line team and I don't know if we can afford to do that against Florida.
Agree with this. Need more from him in the final. Felt like Holloway hit a wall as well.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Is Nuge a finger surgeon or something?
Nuge is a pretty smart looking guy so he could definitely be a surgeon.

But the point of my post was that with an injury, Draisaitl could use more help by having wingers that can actually make plays with him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You know how it's long been a thing where every year since 1980 Jaromir Jagr or a player that he was once teammates with has been in a cup final with 2022 being the lone exception.

For fun, I went back to looked at Corey Perry, and similarly he's either been in the cup final or had a one time teammate in the cup final dating back to 1995 with the exception of one year... 1999.

1995 Scott Niedermayer
1996 Rob Niedermayer
1997 Sergei Fedorov
1998 Sergei Fedorov
1999 - (no one in the final but Aaron Gavey was a member of the Stars and was once a teammate)
2000 Scott Niedermayer
2001 Scott Niedermayer
2002 Sergei Fedorov
2003 Rob Niedermayer
2004 Steve Montador
2006 Chris Pronger
2007 Corey Perry
2008 Ryan Whitney
2009 Chris Kunitz
2010 Chris Pronger
2011 Ryan Kesler
2012 Adam Henrique
2013 Michael Frolík
2014 Tyler Toffoli
2015 Antoine Vermette
2016 Nick Bonino
2017 Nick Bonino
2018 Shea Theodore
2019 Pat Maroon
2020 Corey Perry
2021 Corey Perry
2022 Corey Perry
2023 Brandon Montour
2024 Corey Perry

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_4865.jpeg

How did Bennett get his hands on the Cup?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Should hold for awhile considering Maurice is the current active leader amongst coaches for games played and 2nd overall in history vs. a rookie. That is unless Ruff miraculously bring Buffalo from the dead to a Stanley Cup final sometime soon and Maurice retires.

An interesting thing about Maurice for how long he's been at it, is that he's only 2 games over .500 in his playoff career despite back to back cup runs with Florida.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Too bad they broke up that Mcleod-Foegele-Draisaitl line, would have been nice to have that line working like it was during the win streak.
I won't be surprised to see Knoblauch tweak his lineup as the series gets underway. I'd speculate Draisaitl and Kane as a solid duo for Line 2 unless Kane is injury compromised. They likely want a heavy response option against the Panthers cheap, greasy Line 2. Line 2 left wing might move around with option to move around in game if Holloway stalls out with McLeod able to airlift from Line 4 for shifts and even in series if desired to slot in Foegele. But think Holloway's earned first shot at Line 2 LW who brings a consistent fast, heavy forecheck and shows good skill and growing finishing ability.

I don't see them touching that Line 3 group of Janmark, Henrique, and Brown which seems a really good veteran group to go head to head with Florida's third line.

Knoblauch has been fearless with his between game and in game tactical changes. I have trust he will have a good feel for his team and how to maximize their game against a really deep final opponent.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad