Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Within 10 minutes of Game 1 against Dallas I felt this strange sensation of relief. Maybe it was because the Canucks looked like they were playing for their lives every game, suffocating plays with these massive defenseman, and then the forwards forechecking with everything they had every single game they played us. I do think Florida is going to be very similar to that Canucks series, and I am grateful to them for pushing the Oilers to overcome that style of play.

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
Mcdavid is going to be top 3 player ever lol...these two things are not the same..No one player can shut down 97 to suggest otherwise is ridiculous...it takes a 5 man unit defending, this is plain obvious. I never said he wont have an impct or he isn't great..MCdavid has beaten bergeron numrous times and he is a generational defensive forward...No one stops mcdavid alone and for 7 games potentially

I'm kind of expecting a big series from Draisaitl. Not that he was BAD but I thought Dallas was his worst series so far. He's a big guy who plays a physical game and he was starting to look worn down a bit. This break could be huge for guys like him and Kane (of course, I'm sure Florida has players they're saying the same about).

I just don't know how Florida handles this one-two punch. If they completely sell out to stop McDavid, I expect Drai to have his, 'Messier in '84 moment'. If they put Barkov on 29 (against whom he has apparently really strong numbers), then McDavid, I am absolutely convinced, will run wild.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Just like against Dallas, hoping that people are surprised by how much they've underrated this team. No respect from anybody and still pretending like this is the same Oilers team from 3 years ago. Funny how there's a littany of excuses as to why other teams lost and none of those reasons has anything to do with how Edmonton played in these series.

Not that anymore motivation is needed but I want to see it fuel us to a Stanley Cup win.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That was so long ago in a few regular season games where Kadri was allowed to literally hang off of McDavid by the refs. Kadri and Kesler have both done that in the past to Connor but that doesn't mean anything if it wasnt in a 7 game series.

Kadri is not in Barkov''s stratosphere and the refs tend to let Florida get way with some sketchy shit, so to your point about hanging off McDavid... Barkov is a much much better defensive player, more skilled and refs who lets say have a slow whistle when it comes to Florida's playoff sideshow...

McJesus is McJesus, if the guy decides to go mental like he did against Dallas in the last game, that 1st goal was simply filthy, it's going to be entertaining.

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
After reading that, I’m not even sure why they are playing this series. :). Oilers getting zero respect from league coaches and management, just like last series. There’s a reason every single one of those coaches and GM’s are participating in polls and not still playing. Not good or bright enough. ;)
Is one of these coaches the same guy who before the playoffs said the Oilers weren't going anywhere because Ekholm can't pass and Bouchard won't take a hit to make a play?

Flash forward six weeks, and they have a combined 40 some points, are easily the best pairing in the playoffs, Bouchard's putting up Orr/Coffey numbers and they're in the Cup finals. I seriously question how some of these people get the jobs they do.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
Kadri is not in Barkov''s stratosphere and the refs tend to let Florida get way with some sketchy shit, so to your point about hanging off McDavid... Barkov is a much much better defensive player, more skilled and refs who lets say have a slow whistle when it comes to Florida's playoff sideshow...

McJesus is McJesus, if the guy decides to go mental like he did against Dallas in the last game, that 1st goal was simply filthy, it's going to be entertaining.
I would let Barkov hang off of McD. It's Hyman and Nuge scoring on that line anyway. McD is happy to be the decoy and skate to areas where the puck isn't to give more room to Nuge and Hyman.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I would let Barkov hang off of McD. It's Hyman and Nuge scoring on that line anyway. McD is happy to be the decoy and skate to areas where the puck isn't to give more room to Nuge and Hyman.

Knowing how Hyman plays, this series is made for a guy like him, who is hard on the puck, hard to knock off the puck and willing to play in the trenches. Seems like this is series is a match made in Heaven, a perfect perfect series for Hyman to show how elite he really is. Forsling and Ekblad are going to be a huge challenge for the top line. Forsling is criminally underrated, he was a big reason why Panarin & Pasta were invisible.

Hopefully Kane can heal in time to be Kane again, this series of Junkyard dogs is IMO a series that he could be a difference maker.

Florida is quick on the puck, they dont give a lot of time and space. Gotta move the puck quick and be unpredictable, they are so well coached and positioned well that if you are predictable they will pick off the puck and turn it down hill really quickly.

Good luck Oiler Nation - hope you win it in 4 :)

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Not to mention, Gretzky wasn't there for the 90 cup so greeeaaaat piece of writing there. Maybe he might want to see how many cups Ovechkin and some other generational players won in their first 10 years too. It takes a lot more than one great player to win a cup, what a douche whoever wrote that 🙄
Did he mention how many cups Gretzky won without the Oilers?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
GPVYr-GaEAASzju.jpeg

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024

Its certainly up to the refs on how they wanna call the series. I am a little bit worried that the Panthers are going to commit so many small infractions that the refs will be almost forced to look past the constant holding and interference for the sake of game management.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Lol some of u have no faith in mcdrai. Are u oilers fans?

Nope. Draisaitl can drive a big Line 2 with Holloway and Kane to go against the cheap, dirty Panthers Line 2. No way they disrupt Line 1 that all season long has tilted the ice and outscored massively. They can always break glass in case of emergency if needed with the Stack Line, McDavid and a McWinger finishing Draisaitl. But this is a real balanced line-up that utilizes the team depth effectively.
Draisaitl was mostly neutered during the Dallas series, owing either to an injury(ies) or the quality of his linemates. I don't think that having McDavid with the two best wingers, while Draisaitl languishes with bottom six fodder, is very balanced. On top of that, McDavid always gets the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing while Draisaitl gets a combination of Nurse, Ceci, Kulak and Broberg/Desharnais. Especially if Draisaitl is still nursing something, he can use a bit more help on wing and/or the defence pairings that support him. To me, it feels very much like a one-line team and I don't know if we can afford to do that against Florida.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Too many people people are dunking on this idiot for not knowing Gretz wasn't here for the 1990 Cup, not enough for spelling Leon's last name as "Draisdaitl".
Looks like he got him confused with Drysdale and autocorrect figured this was close enough.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Draisaitl was mostly neutered during the Dallas series, owing either to an injury(ies) or the quality of his linemates. I don't think that having McDavid with the two best wingers, while Draisaitl languishes with bottom six fodder, is very balanced. On top of that, McDavid always gets the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing while Draisaitl gets a combination of Nurse, Ceci, Kulak and Broberg/Desharnais. Especially if Draisaitl is still nursing something, he can use a bit more help on wing and/or the defence pairings that support him. To me, it feels very much like a one-line team and I don't know if we can afford to do that against Florida.
Line 1 has been among the league's top outscoring line regular season and playoffs. They take the opposition's best every game. Draisaitl as a top 5 player in the league gives a powerful second line that operates differently, big, strong, methodical, against secondary competition.
It's how elite teams function and need to in order to be successful. Draisaitl gets top PP minutes with the team's elites and often McDavid time coming out of penalties. The Oilers thrive on their elite 1C and 1C on Line 2. It will continue through this final if they hope to beat a very good Panthers team. Draisaitl would be the first to own that responsibility and accountability as a leader and critical contributor on this Cup Final team.

Disagree about your interpretation. It's always about what's best for the team in terms of deployment not individual players. The Oil lines as suggested by practice are deep, balanced, and stretched to mitigate the deepest opponent they will face. Knoblauch has shown to make very good game to game and in game deployment tweaks. There's no reason to think that won't be the case this series either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad