Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Maybe i’m crazy, but I’m not sure if Kulak at RD is an upgrade on Desharnais at RD. Kulak is a gamer and a solid D.. but Desharnais has his strengths and that is his natural position.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I appreciate reading your posts as they are always very insightful, intelligent, and analytical. I guess that I still have PTSD flashbacks from the Vegas series where Draisaitl's line, which had Yamamoto and McLeod on the wings, got their teeth kicked in by Eichel's line. I agree that he and McDavid should be separated but thought that giving Nuge to Draisaitl would spread the depth a bit better between the top two lines. You posts explained another angle that I hadn't previously considered in that Knob is trying to create different identities for each line. Draisaitl's existing injury/injuries may impede him from reaching his potential without adequate wing (and D-core) support. Hopefully the time off gives his injuries at least somewhat adequate time to heal. I agree that the team comes first but in order to win, the Oilers need every player in the best position to succeed. Here's hoping that Knob has it figured out.
I believe in Draisaitl. He just burns with intense heat of five suns to win and will do whatever it takes. Absolutely mentally tough as a two dollar steak. He's four games from his ultimate goal and will go through walls to realize it. Has shown to play at an elite level with injury. He's a perfect 2C to go up against Florida's second line. And this team won't let things stagnate if it isn't working. There's even more team depth to move support pieces like Holloway, McLeod, Foegele around to seek juice on Line 2 or others.

This team is big, strong, skilled and deep. With versatility to tweak deployment between games and most definitely in-game which is a critical need. At this stage of competition, I think it's mainly about versatility and minor tweaks around the fringes versus wholesale, reactive core changes that risk instability.

It's time to believe this team is ready (imo).

EDIT: Just to add we saw some of Draisaitl's best defensive play work rate and commitment in the Dallas series. It's not just about goal production at this stage of competition but critically is goal suppression. He was relentless in his own zone support. Massive need when your team is playing in June.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Pathers have faced strong goalies.

1717636952180.png

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe i’m crazy, but I’m not sure if Kulak at RD is an upgrade on Desharnais at RD. Kulak is a gamer and a solid D.. but Desharnais has his strengths and that is his natural position.
The issue was that Dallas didn't need a physical response. They needed fast movement and puck possession.

This Florida series might be different. Knoblauch said that Vinny will play but he basically confirmed it won't be in game 1. That makes sense. Just go with what worked and then reevaluate.

The issue with the teams D has been the logjam at LD, made worse with the Stecher injury. Broberg is playing like its time for him to stay up. Kulak is good in the playoffs. Plus Nurse played better away from Ceci and Desharnais, and with a good skater

Maybe the swap is Ceci for Desharnais? That doesn't solve the LD issue though

Imo Ceci is quite underrated here, but I like Desharnais more

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Just like against Dallas, hoping that people are surprised by how much they've underrated this team. No respect from anybody and still pretending like this is the same Oilers team from 3 years ago. Funny how there's a littany of excuses as to why other teams lost and none of those reasons has anything to do with how Edmonton played in these series.

Not that anymore motivation is needed but I want to see it fuel us to a Stanley Cup win.

Dallas was a cup favorite. The Oilers beat them in 6 and all of a sudden they were a lay up? The media loves down playing the Oilers and it all stems from the way the lottery balls aligned in 15. The true cup final was in the west again with the Oilers vs Dallas and who ever came out was going to be the eventual Stanley cup winner IMO. Gonna savor the salt as much as the sweet when the team dog walks the cats.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It's very refreshing to read mainboard material without that Three on Zero fool wasting valuable thread space. Gotta admire Sean Money Hands for his efforts if nothing else.
I asked if any one did a well fare check on three 0n zero cuz he was MIA in oilers threads and got troll stomped for it 🤣🤣 that individual is the biggest anti oiler troll around and seems to get away with it. I guess mods have there favorites 🤷🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TB12 and Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah tbh I'm kind of disappointed by the reaction to all of it. We're ruining it for everyone - if we weren't so weird about it there'd be way more boobs being flashed and everyone would be having a better time - the ladies would get their two seconds of rebellion and freedom without having to be a permanent sex object, and we'd all get to see more boobs.

But since we're all weird about it - it'll just be her and she'll have to spend the rest of her life wearing the Scarlett letter of "the Oilers boob girl" and no other girls will flash at the games and none of the ladies get to have fun and we don't get to see any more boobs.

Kind of sucks just all around.

2 Funny things happened when I went to Anaheim to see the Oilers play the Ducks a few years back.

1. I was put on the jumbotron wearing my Oilers jersey during a TV timeout and the Ducks girls brought me a Ducks jersey! I was getting booed because I wouldnt put the jersey on and I gave it to the little girl sitting behind me and then got a huge cheer!

2. Some knockout was put on the jumbotron a little later on and she popped her Ducks jersey up like Oiler Girl, flashing the high beams and all, and she got an even bigger cheer than I did! (Go figure...).

The really funny thing was I was at the game with Mrs5 and had to pretend I didn't see the second thing that happened. It was just like, ummm can you pass the popcorn dear?

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
2 Funny things happened when I went to Anaheim to see the Oilers play the Ducks a few years back.

1. I was put on the jumbotron wearing my Oilers jersey during a TV timeout and the Ducks girls brought me a Ducks jersey! I was getting booed because I wouldnt put the jersey on and I gave it to the little girl sitting behind me and then got a huge cheer!

2. Some knockout was put on the jumbotron a little later on and she popped her Ducks jersey up like Oiler Girl, flashing the high beams and all, and she got an even bigger cheer than I did! (Go figure...).

The really funny thing was I was at the game with Mrs5 and had to pretend I didn't see the second thing that happened. It was just like, ummm can you pass the popcorn dear?
It don't matter where you get your appetite, so long as you eat at home.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I refer to Banjo Guy as the Undertaker. I think it's him anyway, some guy who goes to games with a hat that glows and his face fully painted. Always looked cool/intimidating

There's also Oilers Bono, the tv loves that guy. Funny the guys you recognize from tv and the rink :laugh:

Sometimes I wonder if they're posters here

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I appreciate reading your posts as they are always very insightful, intelligent, and analytical. I guess that I still have PTSD flashbacks from the Vegas series where Draisaitl's line, which had Yamamoto and McLeod on the wings, got their teeth kicked in by Eichel's line. I agree that he and McDavid should be separated but thought that giving Nuge to Draisaitl would spread the depth a bit better between the top two lines. You posts explained another angle that I hadn't previously considered in that Knob is trying to create different identities for each line. Draisaitl's existing injury/injuries may impede him from reaching his potential without adequate wing (and D-core) support. Hopefully the time off gives his injuries at least somewhat adequate time to heal. I agree that the team comes first but in order to win, the Oilers need every player in the best position to succeed. Here's hoping that Knob has it figured out.
McLeod didn’t play with Draisaitl. McDavid and Draisaitl were together and got their teeth kicked in. McLeod’s line was actually winning their battle with Eichel’s line- but for some unknown reason, Woodcroft moved away from that match-up and went Eichel vs McDavid and that’s when Eichel took over. Having said that, I do agree with your overall point. Nuge with a good passer becomes a scorer and playmaker. Kane can’t pass, but Holloway is actually a pretty good playmaker- he has just been really conservative.

He also played RD in Montreal during the lockout year. My colleague is a Habs fan, I remember him being weirded out we were playing him at LD when we first got him.
Yeah- I remember that

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Desharnais cannot move the puck. He had way too many soft plays off the wall last series, and that’s exactly what Florida preys on. They cut off the boards really well- and that’s why I am not afraid of their forecheck at all- our team breaks out up the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad