Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Dallas was a cup favorite. The Oilers beat them in 6 and all of a sudden they were a lay up? The media loves down playing the Oilers and it all stems from the way the lottery balls aligned in 15. The true cup final was in the west again with the Oilers vs Dallas and who ever came out was going to be the eventual Stanley cup winner IMO. Gonna savor the salt as much as the sweet when the team dog walks the cats.
This is true.

I guarantee everyone would be picking the Stars over Florida if Dallas beat us.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
2 Funny things happened when I went to Anaheim to see the Oilers play the Ducks a few years back.

1. I was put on the jumbotron wearing my Oilers jersey during a TV timeout and the Ducks girls brought me a Ducks jersey! I was getting booed because I wouldnt put the jersey on and I gave it to the little girl sitting behind me and then got a huge cheer!

2. Some knockout was put on the jumbotron a little later on and she popped her Ducks jersey up like Oiler Girl, flashing the high beams and all, and she got an even bigger cheer than I did! (Go figure...).

The really funny thing was I was at the game with Mrs5 and had to pretend I didn't see the second thing that happened. It was just like, ummm can you pass the popcorn dear?

I mean I'm being slightly facetious, but there's a kernal of truth to it being a little better for everyone if you're not overly fixated if not even slightly oblivious with these things.

Like for example I imagine Mrs5s high beams would have been suddenly malfunctioning if you got caught in Duck girl's.

Not saying I understand it, just trying to relay the experience for some of the youngins spam posting the memes about how we've acquired a new dynamic duo. Y'all aren't helping - if you play it cool half the damn fanbase has boobs and it could be a lot more than a damn duo.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
2 Funny things happened when I went to Anaheim to see the Oilers play the Ducks a few years back.

1. I was put on the jumbotron wearing my Oilers jersey during a TV timeout and the Ducks girls brought me a Ducks jersey! I was getting booed because I wouldnt put the jersey on and I gave it to the little girl sitting behind me and then got a huge cheer!

2. Some knockout was put on the jumbotron a little later on and she popped her Ducks jersey up like Oiler Girl, flashing the high beams and all, and she got an even bigger cheer than I did! (Go figure...).

The really funny thing was I was at the game with Mrs5 and had to pretend I didn't see the second thing that happened. It was just like, ummm can you pass the popcorn dear?
Oh I’m sure your wife knew that your corn got popped.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Maybe i’m crazy, but I’m not sure if Kulak at RD is an upgrade on Desharnais at RD. Kulak is a gamer and a solid D.. but Desharnais has his strengths and that is his natural position.
Vinny’s skating has been off since he got submarined in the LA series. Hasn’t been the same since. If he’s still ailing, I’d keep the status quo.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’m thinking about the Flames curse after they dabbled in the dark arts. I think it extends not just to the franchise, but to members of that team that left too.

lil Johnny runs to Columbus and looks like a pile of dogshit

Zadorov and Lindholm

Tanev

Now Tkachuk

Tkachuk is the only one I can think of that found some success but still, guys team makes the finals and he fractures his sternum. He makes it back to the finals and now he has the face the team that chased him out of the West.

They f***ed around with the hockey gods and they’ll be finding out for a long time

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
This is true.

I guarantee everyone would be picking the Stars over Florida if Dallas beat us.

A shame isn't it? to be honest, I feared Wyatt Johnson (what colossal talent he has turned out to be) and Roope Hintz more than Barkov or Sam Bennett. But the underdog roll has worked to our favor so far so let the haters hate.

Going to be funny when Barkov is water skiing McDavid only to find out Bouchard is legit Conn Smythe caliber defenseman and can change the series. I mean look how cold the kid is, they have nobody to counter that.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This has got to be one of the weirdest seasons in Oilers' history, no matter what happens in the Finals. I mean, they're Western Conference Champs for the 2nd time in 34 years, so no matter what it's been a pretty special season.

But good grief this has been a wild-ride of a season. Just to remind y'all of where we were back in mid-November (I freely admit that I started this thread): Where does "It's Cup or bust!" now rank in Oilers'-quotation history-of-cringe?

From the early training camp to the horribad start to the season to this, to that.... it's just been a weird season.

(The only Oilers' season that 2023-24 kind of reminds me of is 1989-90... when the club started 6-9-5 and were out of the playoffs 1/4 of the way through... and then went on to win the Cup after numerous dramas.)

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wait, I just remembered that the Panthers have a jersey ad... so if you're an assistant captain

tkachuk.jpg

200w.gif

ugh god my eyes. We deserve to win by default for having to look at a team with three f***ing patches on the front of one jersey.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Finally got my ticket for Game 3...

Flights from Germany to Edmonton booked...

5 days in a Hotel in South Edmonton also check...will be awesome to have some time to check the city out.

Game 4 I will be in a bar or somewhere else for public viewing...or buy a ticket who knows?

Would be awesome to meet some guys from here.

Thanks for your support @5 Mins 4 Ftg

Let's f***ing go!

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Finally got my ticket for Game 3...

Flights from Germany to Edmonton booked...

5 days in a Hotel in South Edmonton also check...will be awesome to have some time to check the city out.

Game 4 I will be in a bar or somewhere else for public viewing...or buy a ticket who knows?

Would be awesome to meet some guys from here.

Thanks for your support @5 Mins 4 Ftg

Let's f***ing go!
Holy crap man flying in from Germany? You are a true fan, copper and blue in your veins

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
How does Sir Charles know more about hockey than the Canadian media? Also Shaq hilarious with the "Chuck let me see that jersey?" had me rolling.

LOL..Shaq received a Zach Hyman one a couple of weeks ago and was appreciative but did mention he also wanted a Draisatl and McDavid jersey. "Could you help a brother out?" ..haha..Very cool but there's no doubt he wanted to take Barkley's jersey.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Pretty close to the BB's are the St. Louis Blues who lost in th finals three times in a row in the late 60s or early 70s. That's almost worse considering what it takes to get to the Stanley Cup Finals,
There were three rounds of playoffs after the first expansion. All the expansion teams were put into one division, the west. There was an unbalanced schedule the first year with 4 out of division games and ten in division games in 67-68. Of the 24 regular season games that the Blues played against the established original six teams there record was 5-13-6. A weak ass team was going to be fodder for the original six team.

Really helped Montreal and Boston pot a few Stanley Cups though by getting a freebee in the final round of the playoffs.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Yep. Same.

I personally voted we win in 6 games, but I secretly wouldn't be surprised in the least if we swept Florida. They honestly think they will outmatch us physically, when we can dish it right back, and we have played a very strong game defensively since the playoffs, so they will have a hard time trying to start some offence against us. As Draisaitl said: "When we play our best, no one can beat us".
Same, Wouldn't a sweep by the Oilers help everyones blood pressure.

Reactions: elmeroil and ZJuice

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think for the first two games: the refs let them clutch and grab in one game, and call the infractions they commit in the other. The league will give each team a chance to win one "their way".

There were honking parades near Whyte tonight. i assume for the Oil. Saturday can't come quick enough

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
LOL..Shaq received a Zach Hyman one a couple of weeks ago and was appreciative but did mention he also wanted a Draisatl and McDavid jersey. "Could you help a brother out?" ..haha..Very cool but there's no doubt he wanted to take Barkley's jersey.

Shaq is collecting. He understand Drai and McDavid are electric haha. They should send him the jerseys, Oilers are missing out on advertising. Honestly was hoping Oiler organization would book one of Drai or McDavid with inside the NBA like NHL did Tkachuk last year. Can you imagine what it would do for the game if that market was exposed to McDavid instead of Tkachuk?

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
This has got to be one of the weirdest seasons in Oilers' history, no matter what happens in the Finals. I mean, they're Western Conference Champs for the 2nd time in 34 years, so no matter what it's been a pretty special season.

But good grief this has been a wild-ride of a season. Just to remind y'all of where we were back in mid-November (I freely admit that I started this thread): Where does "It's Cup or bust!" now rank in Oilers'-quotation history-of-cringe?

From the early training camp to the horribad start to the season to this, to that.... it's just been a weird season.

(The only Oilers' season that 2023-24 kind of reminds me of is 1989-90... when the club started 6-9-5 and were out of the playoffs 1/4 of the way through... and then went on to win the Cup after numerous dramas.)
Your username kind of sucks for this series 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad