Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I just think back to the summer when he signed his 2.1 Million aav contract and then publicly announced he took a discount to win. Made a sacrifice for the team, if you will.

Then I take a look at his numbers and recall the way he played in the season and in the playoffs. Really Ryan. Did you tho?

Caitlyn Clark can take a hit better than you. Those chicks on the Canucks are way smaller than the ones in the WNBA too.
I remember that. Pretty sure Derek Ryan said something similar as well. Utter do-nothings.

Well lads what do we say about this playoffs? What a journey. The emergence of Bouchard and Broberg is special. I was actually impressed with Desharnais' game as well when he was in the lineup, thought he was significantly smarter with the puck than Either of the Nurse-Ceci guys. To me I thought Desharnais would never be an NHLer after how badly he f***ed us in the playoffs last year but I'll eat crow on that one.

Paul Coffey has transformed the D core, begrudgingly. The scene during the conference champions award ceremony said it all. Everyone's smiling and he looks angry, or dialed in, or that he has been there before and simply knows the hard work isn't over. You can tell he brings that to the defensive group as well and keeps them dialed in and confident. The contrast of some of our players with massive grins actually made it seem like they felt they had won the Cup. The interviews etc, everyone looked way too high. There is the common trope about celebrating the semifinal win for the first time leading to a disastrous final etc so we'll see how that plays out.

Hiring ex players in coaching roles doesn't always work out. For example the story of Olli Jokinen in Phoenix with Gretz as the head coach. Gretz stopping line rushes in practice mid rush yelling at Olli Jokinen asking him why he didn't put the puck through someone's stick and no-look backhand pass to the trailer weaving between the two other D. Some insane type of play that only guys like Gretz can pull off and a massive disconnect led to Wayner being a pretty bad coach in a pretty bad environment -- so it's nice to see a legend like Coffey's message getting through to the guys. Wonder what he's doing that Manson wasn't. If I had to guess, demanding our D make plays with the puck and telling them to have the confidence to do so. The difference is night and day. When people try to tell you coaching isn't that important, tell them to take a look at our D.

Hopefully they brought Bourgault, Lavoie, and those young guys in to be a part of the experience. Like Perry and Henrique were saying it took them 12+ years to get back to the finals after their first go arounds, you never know when something like this is going to happen again. Get the young men in there to be in the environment.

Expecting McDavid to show the entire world once and for all he is a top 3 player ever in this series. He has another gear, you could start to see it in the last game of the Dallas series. This is his moment. He must dominate this series if we want a chance at winning and I believe he will. Still hope they would move Hyman off that line but what can you do.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
not sure if anyone else is currently watching the Bank of Canada governor press conference,
but Tiff and Carolyn are both wearing an Oilers lapel pin.

Pretty cool catching that lol

also cool is they cut the rate by 25 bps
Can't wait for a $10.00 Big Mac.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Mind blowing see oilers fans saying barkov will shut down 97. Get real. No one player can shut down 97 that’s silly talk, embarrassing . He is good yes but come on. 97 will get his over a 7 game series. It takes a team effort to shut down 97. Plus like you said we have a two headed monster.

Mcdavid will go down as one of the greatest players ever you all are making Barkov seem like Thor lol.

Same as Dallas. These teams are very even, oilers have more top end skill. These experts are anything but. They are full of shit

Barkov is one of the best 2 way players in the league, if not the best. McDavid will be top 5, top 2 maybe by the end of his career easily but dont discount the impact Barkov will have on McDavid.

Won't be GAry, it will be Colin Campbell since his kid is the Ass GM of the Panthers. Campbell has already been busted before trying to influence the refs to give his kid an edge

Gary like's his American TV markets winning Cups... brings in lots of revenue for the league when they are bidding on TV contracts... if you asked Gary to pick out Edmonton on a map, I'd put money down that he wouldn't be able to..... uhhhh ... Gary that is Chicago... nope that is LA.... wrong again that is Seattle... ;)

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Special teams: advantage Oilers

Somehow you guys will be on the PK more than Florida and Florida had the 2nd most PIM's in the regular season, just you watch. Zero doubt in my mind that Gary does not want a Canadian city to win the cup over a deep south market that needs good news stories to keep teams relevant, Florida's franchise is what 25 to 30 years old AND still needs Gary's thumb on the scale to keep them relevant.

Although I'm a Leafs fan It's easy to cheer for the Oil , at least you guys aren't dicks like Vancouver or Flames fans. :D

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
My mortgage is finally dropping, Oilers win the cup, make this the best June ever !!
How is your mortgage dropping? Rates seems to be going up.

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger house as my house is starting to feel jammed pack. The prices are just scary expensive

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Barkov is one of the best 2 way players in the league, if not the best. McDavid will be top 5, top 2 maybe by the end of his career easily but dont discount the impact Barkov will have on McDavid.

Gary like's his American TV markets winning Cups... brings in lots of revenue for the league when they are bidding on TV contracts... if you asked Gary to pick out Edmonton on a map, I'd put money down that he wouldn't be able to..... uhhhh ... Gary that is Chicago... nope that is LA.... wrong again that is Seattle... ;)
Mcdavid is going to be top 3 player ever lol...these two things are not the same..No one player can shut down 97 to suggest otherwise is ridiculous...it takes a 5 man unit defending, this is plain obvious. I never said he wont have an impct or he isn't great..MCdavid has beaten bergeron numrous times and he is a generational defensive forward...No one stops mcdavid alone and for 7 games potentially

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger house as my house is starting to feel jammed pack. The prices are just scary expensive
The rates literally just dropped..today...google it. The rates have not gone up since 2023 not sure what you are talking about.

Reactions: Canovin

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Ok I dislike Gary as much as anyone but let us not forget if not for him changing the rules of ownership this team would be in Houston right now. It was very very very close to being a reality on the day in 1996. But because of the EIG and Bettman here we are today with 4 wins to hoist a sixth cup. I will always stand by Gary for doing that even it does seem like he is more about business than hockey most times.

On a side note can we please do something about these damn pages refreshing on mobile and scrapping our reply’s :facepalm:

Reactions: lutrev and Hellcat

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'll be in Edmonton visiting family for the next couple weeks- a consolation prize to seeing the Stars not move on is potentially being in town when McDavid lifts the cup (and maybe catching Game 3, depending on the price of tickets).

I've been mourning the end of the Stars season- but I think I've slowly come to terms with wanting the Oilers to win.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Mind blowing see oilers fans saying barkov will shut down 97. Get real. No one player can shut down 97 that’s silly talk, embarrassing . He is good yes but come on. 97 will get his over a 7 game series. It takes a team effort to shut down 97. Plus like you said we have a two headed monster.

Mcdavid will go down as one of the greatest players ever you all are making Barkov seem like Thor lol.

Same as Dallas. These teams are very even, oilers have more top end skill. These experts are anything but. They are full of shit

Out of curiosity I went back to see Gretzky's cup runs in Edmonton and who were the top defensive forwards on their cup opponents.

1984 - Brian Trottier finished 2nd in Selke votes that season. No Selke wins in his career but had votes in 5 seasons.
1985 - Dave Poulin was the closest of note finishing 7th in Selke votes that season but did win it once in his career, and received votes in 8 seasons.
1987 - see above, but this is the year Dave Poulin won the Selke.
1988 - Steve Kasper finished 2nd in Selke votes. Through his career he won 1 Selke trophy, was a finalist 3 times, and received votes in 12 of his NHL seasons including a 4th place finish in his first year.

Ultimately, Barkov may be better than any of those examples, but those are still pretty damn good examples of top notch defensive forwards and only one of them was able to stop Gretzky (Trottier in 1983).

Reactions: brentashton

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I remember that. Pretty sure Derek Ryan said something similar as well. Utter do-nothings.

Well lads what do we say about this playoffs? What a journey. The emergence of Bouchard and Broberg is special. I was actually impressed with Desharnais' game as well when he was in the lineup, thought he was significantly smarter with the puck than Either of the Nurse-Ceci guys. To me I thought Desharnais would never be an NHLer after how badly he f***ed us in the playoffs last year but I'll eat crow on that one.

Paul Coffey has transformed the D core, begrudgingly. The scene during the conference champions award ceremony said it all. Everyone's smiling and he looks angry, or dialed in, or that he has been there before and simply knows the hard work isn't over. You can tell he brings that to the defensive group as well and keeps them dialed in and confident. The contrast of some of our players with massive grins actually made it seem like they felt they had won the Cup. The interviews etc, everyone looked way too high. There is the common trope about celebrating the semifinal win for the first time leading to a disastrous final etc so we'll see how that plays out.

Hiring ex players in coaching roles doesn't always work out. For example the story of Olli Jokinen in Phoenix with Gretz as the head coach. Gretz stopping line rushes in practice mid rush yelling at Olli Jokinen asking him why he didn't put the puck through someone's stick and no-look backhand pass to the trailer weaving between the two other D. Some insane type of play that only guys like Gretz can pull off and a massive disconnect led to Wayner being a pretty bad coach in a pretty bad environment -- so it's nice to see a legend like Coffey's message getting through to the guys. Wonder what he's doing that Manson wasn't. If I had to guess, demanding our D make plays with the puck and telling them to have the confidence to do so. The difference is night and day. When people try to tell you coaching isn't that important, tell them to take a look at our D.

Hopefully they brought Bourgault, Lavoie, and those young guys in to be a part of the experience. Like Perry and Henrique were saying it took them 12+ years to get back to the finals after their first go arounds, you never know when something like this is going to happen again. Get the young men in there to be in the environment.

Expecting McDavid to show the entire world once and for all he is a top 3 player ever in this series. He has another gear, you could start to see it in the last game of the Dallas series. This is his moment. He must dominate this series if we want a chance at winning and I believe he will. Still hope they would move Hyman off that line but what can you do.

I caught that as well. Seemed to me Coffey was a bit pissed with the boys celebrating as much as they were knowing the job isn't done and the trophy they were celebrating is meaningless

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Haha I renewed my mortgages peak covid. They are ending in just over a year and I’m terrified.

Reactions: Canovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad