Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
....and we will have the ability to switch McDavid/Draisaitl between 1st and 2nd line to suprise and wear Barkov down.

McDrai plays 20-25 minutes/game and Barkov can't play 30+ minutes each night!
Mind blowing see oilers fans saying barkov will shut down 97. Get real. No one player can shut down 97 that’s silly talk, embarrassing . He is good yes but come on. 97 will get his over a 7 game series. It takes a team effort to shut down 97. Plus like you said we have a two headed monster.

Mcdavid will go down as one of the greatest players ever you all are making Barkov seem like Thor lol.

not a lot of "experts" taking the Oilers. This team is going to prove them all wrong.
Same as Dallas. These teams are very even, oilers have more top end skill. These experts are anything but. They are full of shit

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
not a lot of "experts" taking the Oilers. This team is going to prove them all wrong.

It comes down to the reffing, if Gary wants Florida to win, the refs will put away their whistles and allow Florida to do what Florida does, dirty cheap, dangerous non-hockey plays will go with no call. Bennett/Tkachuk will intentionally "oopsie"" try to injure one of your impact players. When they are done with the cheapshot sideshow, they are really adept at diving and drawing PIM's. Edmonton fans are going to learn to hate Florida very quickly, they are without a doubt the most dirty, cheap, dangerous team to play against in the NHL. They play to injure.

If the game is called fair, Edmonton will destroy Florida, Edmonton's PP is a video game on cheat mode good. I hope what ever is ailing Kane is healed in time for the series, he plays a heavy game which is what is needed vs Florida, if he is healthy, Kane will have an impact on the series. This is the type of series Hyman is built for.

The thing about Florida is not only are they a dirty team, they are a skilled team, if you give them daylight they will score. I'm rooting for Edmonton, not because you are a Canadian based team but because Florida is such a dirty easily hateable team.

This is how I see it:
Forwards - Advantage Edmonton
Defence - Advantage Florida
Goalie - Advantage Florida
Coaching : Even

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Listen to these stats about Evan Bouchard...

he has the 2nd highest playoff points per game by an NHL Dman in NHL history (min. 20 games played) @ 1.15 ppg, only trailing Bobby Orr (1.24 ppg).

That's pretty crazy, but this next one is even crazier.

Evan Bouchard has 5 game winning goals in the playoffs at the age of 24, that puts him at 6th all time, and the leader is Paul Coffey with 8. It's hard to believe that Bouchard won't crush that number by the time his career is done.

He is elite dman, not just offensively, he really put it all together this year, I'm sure that Ekholm has helped his development a lot, and Coffey too. This guy might have the odd flub or giveaway, but he more than makes up for them with the amount of positive plays that he does make.
It comes down to the reffing, if Gary wants Florida to win, the refs will put away their whistles and allow Florida to do what Florida does, dirty cheap, dangerous non-hockey plays will go with no call. Bennett/Tkachuk will intentionally "oopsie"" try to injure one of your impact players. When they are done with the cheapshot sideshow, they are really adept at diving and drawing PIM's. Edmonton fans are going to learn to hate Florida very quickly, they are without a doubt the most dirty, cheap, dangerous team to play against in the NHL. They play to injure.

If the game is called fair, Edmonton will destroy Florida, Edmonton's PP is a video game on cheat mode good. I hope what ever is ailing Kane is healed in time for the series, he plays a heavy game which is what is needed vs Florida, if he is healthy, Kane will have an impact on the series. This is the type of series Hyman is built for.

The thing about Florida is not only are they a dirty team, they are a skilled team, if you give them daylight they will score. I'm rooting for Edmonton, not because you are a Canadian based team but because Florida is such a dirty easily hateable team.

This is how I see it:
Bennet and Matty T can definitely do some damage, but Edmonton has some guys that hurt FLA's stars as well (Kane, Nurse, Drai, Vinny). EDM isn't a small team, they have some size and are willing and able to play that type of game.

But, I do agree with you, if the Oilers aren't able to get any calls, and use that PP to their advantage, it will be a major challenge for them to win the Cup.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Listen to these stats about Evan Bouchard...

he has the 2nd highest playoff points per game by an NHL Dman in NHL history (min. 20 games played) @ 1.15 ppg, only trailing Bobby Orr (1.24 ppg).

That's pretty crazy, but this next one is even crazier.

Evan Bouchard has 5 game winning goals in the playoffs at the age of 24, that puts him at 6th all time, and the leader is Paul Coffey with 8. It's hard to believe that Bouchard won't crush that number by the time his career is done.

He is elite dman, not just offensively, he really put it all together this year, I'm sure that Ekholm has helped his development a lot, and Coffey too. This guy might have the odd flub or giveaway, but he more than makes up for them with the amount of positive plays that he does make.

Bennet and Matty T can definitely do some damage, but Edmonton has some guys that hurt FLA's stars as well (Kane, Nurse, Drai, Vinny). EDM isn't a small team, they have some size and are willing and able to play that type of game.

But, I do agree with you, if the Oilers aren't able to get any calls, and use that PP to their advantage, it will be a major challenge for them to win the Cup.

Cheers, I hope one day before I'm 6ft under I get to see my team in the same position as your team. GO OIL GO!!

Reactions: Oilhawks

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
I have always said that series was actually lost in game 2. If Jussi is in in game one when Roli goes down he isn’t ice cold for game two and we probably don’t end up getting shellacked 5-0
Not only do I agree with this, but Ryan Symth thought as much at the time, too...

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I believe some tickets go on sale today. How does one get access to the presale time, which is an hour before regular access?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

This is how I see it:
Special teams: advantage Oilers

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Best attempt ever was when the Oilers snuck Pocklingtons dad’s name on the cup, and the league chiseled it out with a bunch of xx’s. Think it still looks that way today.
It still does.

I saw the Cup at a function a few years back and it’s there (Dick Irvin - I call him Mr Irvin, was sitting with it and I had an absolutely memorable conversation with him for about 10 minutes. The man for his advanced age was so lucid).

Back to the Cup, the neat thing about the embossed letters on the Cup, is that it’s all done by hand - hammer and individual alphabet punches (not CNC or machined). So it’s sometimes not spaced evenly or totally straight level. It just gives the Cup that added “ uniquness” and genuine personality.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm glad everyone is saying that Florida is the favorite to win. Not that the boys are fragile and being the fav would get to their heads, but who doesn't want to be the team to prove everyone wrong? Honestly the pressure on Florida is HUGE.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm glad everyone is saying that Florida is the favorite to win. Not that the boys are fragile and being the fav would get to their heads, but who doesn't want to be the team to prove everyone wrong? Honestly the pressure on Florida is HUGE.

Yep. Same.

I personally voted we win in 6 games, but I secretly wouldn't be surprised in the least if we swept Florida. They honestly think they will outmatch us physically, when we can dish it right back, and we have played a very strong game defensively since the playoffs, so they will have a hard time trying to start some offence against us. As Draisaitl said: "When we play our best, no one can beat us".

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I see EASTERN BIAS TSN is running with the narrative that the Cats had a harder road to the Cup than the Oilers.

Lets see:
Kings 99 pts vs. Regressed Bolts 98 pts
Canucks 109 pts vs. Bruins 109 pts
Stars 113 pts vs Rangers 114 pts

Looks about even to me. But whatever, call it the tougher road to the finals for Leafs sake if you must.

LOL. Heard this one earlier today, and I remember seeing Whit in those track suits too.
FWIW Bolts were way better than LAK

Nucks and Bruins close ish

Stars Rangers close ish (Stars better tho)

Mind blowing see oilers fans saying barkov will shut down 97. Get real. No one player can shut down 97 that’s silly talk, embarrassing . He is good yes but come on. 97 will get his over a 7 game series. It takes a team effort to shut down 97. Plus like you said we have a two headed monster.

Mcdavid will go down as one of the greatest players ever you all are making Barkov seem like Thor lol.

Same as Dallas. These teams are very even, oilers have more top end skill. These experts are anything but. They are full of shit
Mcdavid looks way better now, but earlier in the playoffs he was getting shut down 5v5

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

This is how I see it:

Well then you already have your answer. The NHL is the only league in the world with two, very distinct, rule books: one for the regular season and an entirely different one for the playoffs. Even though Florida is a dirty team that plays on the edge a lot, and took the 2nd most penalties in the league in the regular season at 13:30/GP, they will some how miraculously only take 2 penalties a game for the finals.

I would also take a pre-sale code if anybody has one to spare ;)

Reactions: Hellcat

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

This is how I see it:

Doing my best to be objective...

Defence - Advantage Edmonton

Goalie - Even. Depends which goalies bring their A-game.

Coaching - Advantage Edmonton

Physicality - Even. Edmonton has grittier players, but I think Florida has more team grit.

Special Teams - Advantage Edmonton

Special Treatment - Advantage Florida

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
anyone by chance have a pre-sale code to share? Haha

I believe some tickets go on sale today. How does one get access to the presale time, which is an hour before regular access?

Ditto, I’d like one too if possible.

For those looking for tickets, tomorrow at 12 noon what isnt sold at the STH presale at 11 (unique codes and require STH access as you buy them via your account) I would sign up for last minute ticket releases (see the graphic below). These are usually visiting team ticket holds that expire anytime between about noon and 4 PM on game day.

I have picked up ticket on the release like this in the 2017 Playoff run when I needed a couple of extra tickets for family that also wanted to go to the game so its a great way to buy last minute seats without paying aftermarket price but you have to be watching your phone like a hawk as well as be very quick on the draw and lucky.

Note, tickets for Game 6 are also going on sale tomorrow, not just for Games 3 and 4!

Tickets will become available to the public at 12:00 PM MT and seats are limited, so be sure to secure your tickets early!
HOME GAME SCHEDULE
Thursday, June 13 at 6:00 PM MT
Saturday, June 15 at 6:00 PM MT
Friday, June 21 at 6:00 PM MT (if necessary)

They aren’t generic codes. They are single access codes for Premium Seat Licencees and require access and purchase via your online account. See my quote above.

I’ve posted this several times now.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

This is how I see it:
Won't be Gary, it will be Colin Campbell since his kid is the As. GM of the Panthers. Campbell has already been busted before trying to influence the refs to give his kid an edge

Last edited:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
It’s been our story all season….coming back against the odds. Wearing that story is like a comfy old sweatshirt.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Teams get 52 names to put on the Cup. They can make a case for anyone in the organization. Gagner definitely has one, not sure if they able to make one for others like Joey etc.
I don't get this Gagner deserves his name on the cup narrative.

The cup is earned and won not an advertisement for the non winning, the futile efforts, the weak, the down trodden.

There are hundreds of players that deserve it but didn't get it. Hundreds or maybe thousands of non players that could be listed.

If he plays that is another thing but deserves to be on the cup? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad