Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another couple interesting tidbits I heard on Oilers now today was when Bob Stauffer had Kris Knoblauch on the show. He asked him about the video they are studying on Florida. Knoblauch said that the rangers play a hybrid system so looking at the video they had on Florida helps but that they've actually prepared video going back to the regular season against teams that play similar styles to the Oilers. He mentioned how Boston played an aggressive zone defence like they do and that the video from the Boston series will relate better.

He also mentioned that he had a close relationship with Laviolette in NYR and has already picked his brain and talked to him about what he saw last series. Our boys should know what they are going to be up against.

finally, he is also aware about how well Kane played against tkachuk when he was in Calgary and said he would skate Friday and the rest will do him well.
Very interesting, haven't heard that hit yet. Actually I rewatched NY-FLA Games 1 and 2 last night. And noticed how inept the Rags zone defence was. Multiple times I saw the Rags D-men chasing FLA Fwds behind the net and leaving their net front completely open. They got burned by a Barkov net front goal in Game 1 for that very reason. So I could definitely see they don't play a tight zone defence. I actually thought myself it's probably better to rewatch some of that Boston series instead cause yeh, they play a true zone defence system. I'll probably do that tonight.

Ahh the Knob AV connect of course. I didn't realize they were still kept in contact. That should bode well for our scouting.

Good news on the Kane front. Knob needs to ensure he's a factor.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Teams get 52 names to put on the Cup. They can make a case for anyone in the organization. Gagner definitely has one, not sure if they able to make one for others like Joey etc.

Best attempt ever was when the Oilers snuck Pocklingtons dad’s name on the cup, and the league chiseled it out with a bunch of xx’s. Think it still looks that way today.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Best attempt ever was when the Oilers snuck Pocklingtons dad’s name on the cup, and the league chiseled it out with a bunch of xx’s. Think it still looks that way today.

Yep! It is.

If you ever visit the Cup inside the Hall of Fame in Toronto that's the only way to know if the cup you're looking at is the "actual cup" and not a replica.

The presentation cup (actual cup) has the name crossed out with x's. The replica cups just exclude the name entirely.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From what I've gathered there's been passwords for these short pre sales, if I can find one I'll drop you a DM

They are for Premium Season Seat Holders and are 1 time passcodes. You get 1 passcode good for however many seasons seats you have.
They send out the codes right at 11 AM by email to Premium seat holders is what my email said so I doubt you'll find a password unless your a Premium seat holder (Maybe they are doing regular STH as well I do not know, just going off the email I received). Otherwise a PSTH would have to be willing to give you their one time passcode along with the confidential access to their account.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just tagging on to say please send me a DM as well if you have a code laying around! Thanks very much in advance :)

There will be no codes laying around I am afraid. Your best bet if you dont want to pay aftermarket prices and get shut out of the ticket sales at noon is to sign up for the last minute playoff ticket alerts (see graphic below) as they release tickets last minute for visiting team holds that expire at about noon or 1 pm on game day and I have seen releases as late as 4 PM on a 7 PM game day.

Your Edmonton Oilers will face the Florida Panthers in the 2024 Stanley Cup Final!

As a Premium License Holder, you will receive pre-sale access to single-game tickets* at retail pricing at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, June 5. We will send your unique access code when your pre-sale begins.

*Up to two tickets per game

Tickets will become available to the public at 12:00 PM MT and seats are limited, so be sure to secure your tickets early!
HOME GAME SCHEDULE
Thursday, June 13 at 6:00 PM MT
Saturday, June 15 at 6:00 PM MT
Friday, June 21 at 6:00 PM MT (if necessary)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I just learned that Colin Campbell’s son is an Assistant GM for Florida. Colin Campbell was caught for influencing referees against making calls on his son as a player. Colin Campbell’s defence? “I didn’t think anyone would find out”. Why wasn’t he booted out? Now his son is in the finals against a team that feasts on the PP

lol. In 2011 the refs were falling for Canucks diving all playoffs, right up until the finals when the Canucks were facing Campbell's son for the cup. Suddenly they couldn't get any calls (which was actually how it should be, but the change of how the refs were treating them was dramatic) and the Sedin's turned into sad punching bags.

Guess we'll see how things go.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lots of truth to this Tweet:

He’s not wrong about the Florida forecheck. Often they get their hands up and pick the head as they are coming in. It's nothing that will concuss someone but can be considered roughing. Same thing Kane got called for early in the Dallas series when he went to check Heiskanen in the NZ and got the hands up too high leading to a roughing call.

Lomberg (Edit: not Lundell) in particular is bad at it. Constantly gets his hands up when checking.

Watching both Stars and Rags series the standard of officiating was completely different, I wonder what we’ll see as well in the Cup Series.

The Oilers need to have their DIVEALANCHE game on for this series. Make sure to grab those faces. This will be one of my KEYS to victory.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There will be no codes laying around I am afraid. Your best bet if you dont want to pay aftermarket prices and get shut out of the ticket sales at noon is to sign up for the last minute playoff ticket alerts (see graphic below) as they release tickets last minute for visiting team holds that expire at about noon or 1 pm on game day and I have seen releases as late as 4 PM on a 7 PM game day.

Your Edmonton Oilers will face the Florida Panthers in the 2024 Stanley Cup Final!

As a Premium License Holder, you will receive pre-sale access to single-game tickets* at retail pricing at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, June 5. We will send your unique access code when your pre-sale begins.

*Up to two tickets per game

Tickets will become available to the public at 12:00 PM MT and seats are limited, so be sure to secure your tickets early!
HOME GAME SCHEDULE
Thursday, June 13 at 6:00 PM MT
Saturday, June 15 at 6:00 PM MT
Friday, June 21 at 6:00 PM MT (if necessary)
Good to know - thanks!!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Like why is there never a true fking fan around when this happens to put these clowns in there place.

Be better people ....
Holy f’ing hell that is awful. Like stay the hell out of his space, off his car. Don’t touch people that don’t want to be touched. What is wrong with people?

And Connor Molson Canadian man? Be better than that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m starting to watch some of the Florida/NYR series… Barkov is really good

However we should be able to win the special teams battle
He is eh. So good at anticipating plays, so good at checking either with his body or his stick. Always in the right position. And he has the size and speed to be super effective at all of it.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And the stupid alternating of the backup goalies that MacT did. I still recall bitching earlier on in the playoffs that year that they needed to just leave Jussi as the backup every game, cause at some point you might need your best backup, and sure as shit it caught up to us at the worst possible time.

Edit: Whoops, thought you said 2006. ;)

I have always said that series was actually lost in game 2. If Jussi is in in game one when Roli goes down he isn’t ice cold for game two and we probably don’t end up getting shellacked 5-0

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I am on holidays and watched the Panthers playoff games and there was tons of penalties on the journey.

Won't be popular, but we should play just like Dallas did last series after the whistles. Stay out of all of it. This teams knows exactly how to ignore Tkachuk already and Florida is the same. We can bank powerplays, everyone on their team is trying to start stuff after the whistle, always. If it's just one team doing it, the PP's will be there

Also saw Montour say this series was going to seven before it starts. I like the lack of belief. I guarantee our players are aiming higher

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I see EASTERN BIAS TSN is running with the narrative that the Cats had a harder road to the Cup than the Oilers.

Lets see:
Kings 99 pts vs. Regressed Bolts 98 pts
Canucks 109 pts vs. Bruins 109 pts
Stars 113 pts vs Rangers 114 pts

Looks about even to me. But whatever, call it the tougher road to the finals for Leafs sake if you must.

LOL. Heard this one earlier today, and I remember seeing Whit in those track suits too.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's great, the music the editing. I watch them at least a few times a year to remind me of what we've all been through, hard not to feel all the emotions good and bad when watching these.

I think they'd at the very least would have beaten Nashville to meet the Pens. McDavid vs. Crosby would have been something to behold, not sure if they had the horses or experience to beat that Pens team though.
That was also the year where McLellan lost like every challenge he made to video review.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
I just think back to the summer when he signed his 2.1 Million aav contract and then publicly announced he took a discount to win. Made a sacrifice for the team, if you will.

Then I take a look at his numbers and recall the way he played in the season and in the playoffs. Really Ryan. Did you tho?

Caitlyn Clark can take a hit better than you. Those chicks on the Canucks are way smaller than the ones in the WNBA too.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
I actually think Barkov is likely to shut down whomever he plays against. He really is that good. But that is why having McDrai on separate lines is so important. This likely means Florida matches hard against McDavid, and Drai is going to need to have a hell of a series.
....and we will have the ability to switch McDavid/Draisaitl between 1st and 2nd line to suprise and wear Barkov down.

McDrai plays 20-25 minutes/game and Barkov can't play 30+ minutes each night!

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

He’s not wrong about the Florida forecheck. Often they get their hands up and pick the head as they are coming in. It's nothing that will concuss someone but can be considered roughing. Same thing Kane got called for early in the Dallas series when he went to check Heiskanen in the NZ and got the hands up too high leading to a roughing call.

Lomberg (Edit: not Lundell) in particular is bad at it. Constantly gets his hands up when checking.

Watching both Stars and Rags series the standard of officiating was completely different, I wonder what we’ll see as well in the Cup Series.

The Oilers need to have their DIVEALANCHE game on for this series. Make sure to grab those faces. This will be one of my KEYS to victory.
Florida play goon hockey as the nhl allows it. The thing that worries me must. I’ll say it thru are a dirty team. Hope there are no injuries.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

Florida play goon hockey as the nhl allows it. The thing that worries me must. I’ll say it thru are a dirty team. Hope there are no injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad