Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Connor is doing a beer run for the fellas. One hell of a captain!

I implore the citizens of Edmonton to just leave the f***ing guy alone. Shit, this stuff is so cringe. He doesn't owe us fans anything. Nod at him, say good luck if you have to and leave him the f*** alone.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I just have to say, the Rangers may be the biggest group of p***yes to ever lace em up for a conference finals.
Zibanjed (spelling) looked like a p***y when Bennet took puck from him. Panarin was invisible as well. They dont like the hitting. Rangers need some more toughness.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Was listening to the rest of GYB this morning and they accurately pointed out that McLeod kid of went back to normal in Game 6 and not in a good way. His bad play kind of flew under the radar, but he was definitely back to throwing pucks away, dumb passes, soft plays, etc.

Him and Foegele seem to be the only two guys left up front that struggle to not manage the puck stupidly and unfortunately they would probably replace each other if one was scratched.

I think I would play McLeod in Game 1, but would have a very short leash if he starts tossing pucks away or not willing to engage in the game. You can get away with that style of play against the Stars, but not in a harder series.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Connor is doing a beer run for the fellas. One hell of a captain!

I implore the citizens of Edmonton to just leave the f***ing guy alone. Shit, this stuff is so cringe. He doesn't owe us fans anything. Nod at him, say good luck if you have to and leave him the f*** alone.
No kidding

If he noticed me I’d wave but probably wouldn’t approach. Like he’s heard it all, you’re not gonna say anything interesting or unique just leave the guy alone lol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In this case it kind of is what it is, but I think it only really makes sense due to the teams playing and the travel involved.

It's only been relatively recently they have chosen to stretch the Finals over what is basically an entire month, and it's too much. Short of Oilers/Florida type travel, there is no reason to do this for almost any other matchup. More the principle of the NHL choosing to stretch everything out as long as possible that is grating to me.

Yeah, I'd rather they'd finish up earlier but for the cup final itself, like you said it is what it is. If you want the teams playing their best, you almost need to give them a full day for travel each time. I mean a 1:00 Edmonton departure is an 8:30 arrival in Miami.

If you want to end the final earlier at some point they need to suck it up and worry less about competing with NFL mid-season games and MLB playoffs for their non-premium early season games.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, I'd rather they'd finish up earlier but for the cup final itself, like you said it is what it is. If you want the teams playing their best, you almost need to give them a full day for travel each time. I mean a 1:00 Edmonton departure is an 8:30 arrival in Miami.

If you want to end the final earlier at some point they need to suck it up and worry less about competing with NFL mid-season games and MLB playoffs for their non-premium early season games.

I'm sure they have more data than I do justifying this strategy, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that they're worried about conflict with a league that plays one day per week.

Go light on Sunday game scheduling for another month, and avoid Saturday day games for College football markets. That seems fairly simple, but what do I know.

Reactions: TB12 and bone

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I liked him before, I f**kin love him now.
agreed
I was NEVER a fan of Vancouver fan base. I lived there from 91-98. Very uneducated fan base. I played softball out there and they seemed to think we were from another planet when we were from NS. They didnt think we would be good in any sports. I went out and played in Burnaby 8 Rinks and the hockey was brutal. Bush league. They would do something greasy to ya and when u dropped gloves and challenged them, they turtled.
Fast forward to 2006, Im working in Edmonton and go to WEM. While I was there , a youth hockey game was going on. They werent over 12. These kids were better then the players in Vancouver hands down. It was great hockey to watch actually

Cut the number of preseason games in half and start the season at the beginning of October.
There is no way we should be playing in June

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Time to invest in some security guards Connor.

If you’re at the point where you need security guards or someone else to go to the store for you, then you’re pretty much at the point where you ask yourself if this is the right place for you and your family. I am so pissed off and infuriated at this, hard to put into words. I really hope this is a fairly isolated situation.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
If you’re at the point where you need security guards or someone else to go to the store for you, then you’re pretty much at the point where you ask yourself if this is the right place for you and your family. I am so pissed off and infuriated at this, hard to put into words. I really hope this is a fairly isolated situation.
Yah if he's going to have kids, he's probably seriously thinking about a more southern destination. (aka not Toronto)

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The only thing they have on Edmonton is goal-tending. Teams are pretty evenly matched offensively and defensively: Barkov, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Bennett, Tarasenko, Verhaghe vs McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, Kane, Henrique. Ekblad, Montour vs Bouchard and Ekholm.
The good thing about having the “lesser” goalie in Skinner is that the game plan involves better defensive setups, reducing the high quality chances.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
So I just found out fan flashed some honkers at one of the games and we won every game after that. Can we have her back for the finals? :naughty:
Oilers flashing girl Flag.png

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Was listening to the rest of GYB this morning and they accurately pointed out that McLeod kid of went back to normal in Game 6 and not in a good way. His bad play kind of flew under the radar, but he was definitely back to throwing pucks away, dumb passes, soft plays, etc.

Him and Foegele seem to be the only two guys left up front that struggle to not manage the puck stupidly and unfortunately they would probably replace each other if one was scratched.

I think I would play McLeod in Game 1, but would have a very short leash if he starts tossing pucks away or not willing to engage in the game. You can get away with that style of play against the Stars, but not in a harder series.
Mcleaod seems to panic in big moment games. Hopefully he gets better during these moments as he matures.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How much y'all think tickets will be? What time do they go on sale? I'm thinking of making the splurge and flying down for either g3/4

I’m guessing, much like when we played Anaheim years ago, it’ll probably be cheaper to fly to Florida and go to the game.

big fan of Gadzic. I find him knowledgeable

He’s great. He’s knowledgeable, and while he clearly loves the Oilers, he’s able to be neutral about things unlike guys like Hrudey. Him and Bieksa should be the go to tandem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad