Post-Game Talk: Requiem for the 2023 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Very weird indeed. The complete opposite of enthusiasm. Like transfixed zombies.

That was really my thought months ago that if they didn't take Michkov, it would be Molson's doing. Cause of politics.

Could be dead wrong though. Maybe Molson is really hands off. I have no way to know, but that is also their fault. They share what they want to share, and it's their right, but don't get surprised if people speculate, when they are emotionally invested in the team. And if they get emotionally disinvested, don't be surprised if the money train runs out eventually, in a few decades, especially once my generation dies out, the last one to have seen a Stanley Cup in the city.

It's not like the fans are outraged at a nothing burger. This was a highly debatable decision, and one with serious repercussions for the future of the team.

Reactions: amethyst and Kimota

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Inviting Vote would be great, I'd invite Ryan Fine as well, I liked these 2 as potential late round picks

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We have not drafted a franchise forward in 30 years, bro. Don't you think it makes sense that people would be pissed when we had the chance to get one and passed on him?
Michkov will have to hit on all cylinders to be considered a franchise forward. What could go wrong...

Plenty

As for people being pissed they were told over and over again we weren't picking him.
I truly thought people would be more prepared for the butt hurt.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
If Newhook turns out like Dvorak he’ll be hated soon too. I hope for everyone’s sake, that he put up at least 50pts this year.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Very weird indeed. The complete opposite of enthusiasm. Like transfixed zombies.

That was really my thought months ago that if they didn't take Michkov, it would be Molson's doing. Cause of politics.

I agree with point number one, and I get the feeling Hughes was set to take Smith. When Smith was ultimately selected, he just turned to his scouting staff and Bobrov probably told him to take the highest big boi, safe Euro like he always does, irregardless of the player quality on a case by case basis. Hughes' comments post-draft, when Basu had to ask for clarification, make me wonder if Hughes was actually passionate about the player, that was an odd way to phrase enthusiasm.

For point 2, I genuinely have had a change of heart. I used to wonder a lot about the geopolitical thing, but the more I think about it the more I get the feeling they passed over Michkov because he does not fit their vision of the team and preferred other players outright; the Russian situation is just a smokescreen to hide their disliking of him being another smoll, skilled player in their eyes, maybe one who has a bigger ego.

My personal issue with the draft wasn't even Reinbacher; it seems like offensive upside was not even a concern for them at all. Taking multiple goalies was the only strategy that made sense, everything else felt like they were satisfied and were just going through the motions. Only message I can take from this is they believe they good offensively.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Jesus f***ing christ.. a Habs fan suffering a depression should never visit this board.

Naaa it's our support group!

Lapointe looks like a dumb dude. All muscles and no brain. Cant believe he didnt got fired.

At least Bobrov knows how to explain something and make a full sentence without suffering for epilepsy while doing it.

And what's with his f***ing dark brown face? Is he like Kramer in Seinfeld trying to impress the parents of his new girlfriend from a diffrent background by doing something to his face to be part of the family?

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree with point number one, and I get the feeling Hughes was set to take Smith. When Smith was ultimately selected, he just turned to his scouting staff and Bobrov probably told him to take the highest big boi, safe Euro like he always does, irregardless of the player quality. Hughes' comments post-draft, when Basu had to ask for clarification, make me wonder how much Hughes was actually passionate about the player, that was an odd way to phrase enthusiasm.

For point 2, I genuinely have had a change of heart. I used to wonder a lot about the geopolitical thing, but the more I think about it the more I get the feeling they passed over Michkov because he does not fit their vision of the team and preferred other players outright; the Russian situation is just a smokescreen to hide their disliking of him being another smoll, skilled player in their eyes.

My personal issue with the draft wasn't even Reinbacher; it seems like offensive upside was not even a concern for them at all. Taking multiple goalies was the only strategy that made sense, everything else felt like they were satisfied and were just going through the motions. Only message I can take from this is they believe they good offensively.
And so the offense better deliver

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
0% chance not drafting Michkov was a Molson call...
You guys are on one.

And the loudest ones probably haven't even watched more than a 5 min highlight reel of any player. What a toxic, bad 1st impression for Reinbacher, hope he has thick skin.

Yeah, it is really is pathetic. He's going to be a player.

So many immature assholes who just want to be dicks on social media. Grow up, and get over it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I agree with point number one, and I get the feeling Hughes was set to take Smith. When Smith was ultimately selected, he just turned to his scouting staff and Bobrov probably told him to take the highest big boi, safe Euro like he always does, irregardless of the player quality on a case by case basis. Hughes' comments post-draft, when Basu had to ask for clarification, make me wonder if Hughes was actually passionate about the player, that was an odd way to phrase enthusiasm.

For point 2, I genuinely have had a change of heart. I used to wonder a lot about the geopolitical thing, but the more I think about it the more I get the feeling they passed over Michkov because he does not fit their vision of the team and preferred other players outright; the Russian situation is just a smokescreen to hide their disliking of him being another smoll, skilled player in their eyes, maybe one who has a bigger ego even.

I mean culture is one thing but generational(like Michkov could be) is another thing. And the Habs have many Ds and not that much skills upfront.

Michkov will have to hit on all cylinders to be considered a franchise forward. What could go wrong...

Plenty

As for people being pissed they were told over and over again we weren't picking him.
I truly thought people would be more prepared for the butt hurt.

Oh no don't take someone cause THINGS COULD GO WRONG!

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean culture is one thing but generational(like Michkov could be) is another thing. And the Habs have many Ds and not that much skills upfront.

Nothing has ever gone wrong with past Habs picks !! 😂

Reactions: HabbyGuy

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Interesting comments about the reaction fans had on social media. Seems to have really surprised management
This front office led by Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes has had a relatively smooth ride up until now. This is their first brush with the flip side of the passion of the fan base, the accountability and scrutiny that comes with it. I was told Thursday that Pierre-Luc Dubois mentioned this in weighing his decision between following his heart to Montreal or following his head to Los Angeles, and another front office source took that a step further.

“We’re trying to make Montreal a place players want to play,” he said, “and this stuff definitely doesn’t help.”

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hughes won't stay here long if he gets handcuffed like that, not only by being forbidden to draft BPA in this case, but also because Molson and PR seemingly managing expectations with leaks (or maybe the leaks were accidental, both situations are egregious), which removed much of his leverage cause teams knew he wouldn't pick him.

I don't think they passed on Michkov due to Molson. They simply think Reinbacher is the better pick for the team.

People keep throwing the word generational around with Michkov, like we gave up the Russian Crosby, or something. We didn't.

He's good, and I supported his drafting, but the whining about passing him over is just embarrassing. The cruelty shown to Reinbacher is a f***ing disgrace. I don't mean to apply these last 2 comments to you. They're just general comments about the situation.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I don't think they passed on Michkov due to Molson. They simply think Reinbacher is the better pick for the team.

People keep throwing the word generational around with Michkov, like we gave up the Russian Crosby, or something. We didn't.

He's good, and I supported his drafting, but the whining about passing him over is just embarrassing. The cruelty shown to Reinbacher is a f***ing disgrace. I don't mean to apply these last 2 comments to you. They're just general comments about the situation.
There's the problem. At one point someone came out with the whole "Russian Bedard" and fans ears perked up without even knowing who he was. After they didn't pick him, they went nuts.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's the problem. At one point someone came out with the whole "Russian Bedard" and fans ears perked up without even knowing who he was. After they didn't pick him, they went nuts.
Hes not the russian bedard, hes Matvei Michkov, which is the best or 2nd best player in this draft.

Reactions: larek

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

No one here is cruel to Reinbacher though. Can you show me a post where Reinbacher is bullied? Or is it on other social medias?

You say Michkov is not the Russian Crosby, and you seem very sure of that. Fine. I had the opposite conviction, so can you understand why I'm really pissed off at the brass, after 30 years of waiting for a player like that, still ~24 hrs in?

I don't know man. I condemn any hate towards Reinbacher, but how can you avoid the comparisons? A delicate situation.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Hes not the russian bedard, hes Matvei Michkov, which is the best or 2nd best player in this draft.
I guess we'll see in a few years since we don't know that for a fact. Might be another Yakupov for all we know.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

That is not what I said.
I said we weren't taking him no matter what and he has to hit a lot of check marks to become a franchise player.
Get over it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Mich is one of the best talent to come out of the draft in a long time. And the Habs have not had much to offer talent-wise for a long time and all we have really have presently is Caufield. The "better pick" for this team is bogus on a team stacked with D prospects.

How on Earth can you say to all the Habs fans who have been waiting for a top talent for decades that when the Habs passed on one, that these very fans are whining? It's pretty damn justified to be pissed.

Finally I have not seen one soul over here being cruel to Reinbacher. The majority think he's a good player and we're glad we got him.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No one here is cruel to Reinbacher though. Can you show me a post where Reinbacher is bullied? Or is it on other social medias?

You say Michkov is not the Russian Crosby, and you seem very sure of that. Fine. I had the opposite conviction, so can you understand why I'm really pissed off at the brass, after 30 years of waiting for a player like that, still ~24 hrs in?

I don't know man. I condemn any hate towards Reinbacher, but how can you avoid the comparisons?
I haven't seen one personal attack on Reinbacher
I think Habs management doesn't like free speech

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I gotta say I was disappointed when they drafted Reinbacher. Felt like a cold shower and made for a disappointing draft night.

Looking back at where I was ranking him before I knew he was an option, and after I heard the rumors, I definitely let myself be biased by me not wanting my Habs to draft him and dropped him and made myself believe he was not worth it.

Going back, he's an awesome prospect that we should all be very happy to have. Most years don't have that level of depth at F at the top of the draft, so a D like David often goes higher up, and those teams drafting the best D top 3/4 usually end up very happy about it.

Something I do believe the management gets right, is evaluating the character of the player and if they could handle MTL market. Getting to know Reinbacher through interviews and other, I feel they got this right and he'll grow out of this.

Very sad for him that the biggest moment of his life turned so badly, from the butched Price announcement to the dissatisfaction of the fanbase.

Let's wish him well and be happy we have a solid player and person be part of our core. I hope we'll look back at it and be enamoured with him and he'll feel this love and welcome that only this market can give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad