Report: No team has asked Maple Leafs for permission to speak with Carlyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mikebel111*

The Ducks certainly know who to play the games with. Carlyle is a proven stanley cup winner who knows the tough game. He will get his players to do whatever he wants and play them over their limits. That won the stanley cup. We almost did it with carlyle too.... couple years ago we went into the playoffs with Randy. That's the only time we even made it to the playoffs. During these horrible 11 years. We almost beat the boston bruins then, in game 7. We also had the toughest team in the league. Fought the most and hit the most. And look what happened. We were in the playoffs. I know hockey.

No you actually don't know hockey. Randy is an old age coach with an ancient system.
He is terrible

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No you actually don't know hockey. Randy is an old age coach with an ancient system.
He is terrible

Just to be clear, I was very happy that he was let go....

Well in truth his D zone system is not much different then what we play now. Same as our breakouts, there is just a little difference and players are actually playing the system.

People seem to forget that he took over from Babcock and won the cup. The players then tuned him out a few years later.

He has never had a losing season in the NHL unless you count part years. He will be hired, it is only a matter of time. We have lost a lot of games since he was fired. Yes Babcock is having us play better and is a better coach, but Carlyle never had the horses that he needed to win over the course of a full season.

mikebel111*

Just to be clear, I was very happy that he was let go....

Well in truth his D zone system is not much different then what we play now. Same as our breakouts, there is just a little difference and players are actually playing the system.

People seem to forget that he took over from Babcock and won the cup. The players then tuned him out a few years later.

He has never had a losing season in the NHL unless you count part years. He will be hired, it is only a matter of time. We have lost a lot of games since he was fired. Yes Babcock is having us play better and is a better coach, but Carlyle never had the horses that he needed to win over the course of a full season.

The way I see it. Both coach and core were the problem. I probably over reacted in calling him a terrible coach as I don't believe he is. I mean if teams are calling him so he still has value in league just like Torts. However Randy really needs to get with the times though because other than his system, I think he is fine as his bench handling is fine IMO. Heck players like Kadri flourished under him. I know for a fact Kadri likes him.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Torts hired in season by CBJ, so #Canucks get second-round draft pick as compensation. Off season would have been third-round pick.

Does this mean we would get a 2nd round pick for Carlyle?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Torts had long enough for his "persona" to cool off, and now he has a job again. The stigma a person carries can to somewhat rubbed off with time away. The same could, and probably will happen with Carlyle. Once he's away from the rink for a while, teams will be willing to give him another shot despite his faults.

It amazes me that Boucher hasn't been given another shot, but then again he's not as proven as Torts (for example). That Cup ring certainly means a lot.

Good luck to CLB and their new head coach. I like a lot of what Torts brings to the table, but he wears out his welcome pretty quickly (for obvious reasons).

Torts hired in season by CBJ, so #Canucks get second-round draft pick as compensation. Off season would have been third-round pick.

Does this mean we would get a 2nd round pick for Carlyle?

I don't know the exact details of the rule off hand, but yes, if thats the compensation required during an in-season hire. We'd get whatever compensation is required for the portion of the year that Carlyle would be (theoretically) hired.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Torts had long enough for his "persona" to cool off, and now he has a job again. The stigma a person carries can to somewhat rubbed off with time away. The same could, and probably will happen with Carlyle. Once he's away from the rink for a while, teams will be willing to give him another shot despite his faults.

It amazes me that Boucher hasn't been given another shot, but then again he's not as proven as Torts (for example). That Cup ring certainly means a lot.

Good luck to CLB and their new head coach. I like a lot of what Torts brings to the table, but he wears out his welcome pretty quickly (for obvious reasons).

I don't know the exact details of the rule off hand, but yes, if thats the compensation required during an in-season hire. We'd get whatever compensation is required for the portion of the year that Carlyle would be (theoretically) hired.

well to be fair. boucher had a shot ;) Babcock kinda beat him out though.
i think the fact that he doesn't have an out clause is hurting him. i know he was offered some assistant positions but turned them down.

Swayze*

they prob wants Torts to whip those guys into shape short term and then find a long term guy later.

good for Torts

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To be fair, Torts and Davidson have a long-history. It's not hard to believe he got chosen over Carlyle.

Carlyle is the likely replacement for Boudreau. Though I personally think they should ride the season and grab Boucher during the summer.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
they prob wants Torts to whip those guys into shape short term and then find a long term guy later.

good for Torts

That's about what Torts is good for; a quick reality-check before his services grow stale. People don't respond to his brand of coaching after a while

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Quite frankly Carlyle is a decent coach. If Torts can find another job then Carlyle can as well for sure

He managed to get a team with a core of Kessel, Phaneuf, Reimer, and Lupul to be somewhat competitive. I can't blame him for what he did here

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Carlyle is an afwul coach. His system (if he has one), simply consists of collapsing on defence and dumping and chasing. So, it should be no surprise that his teams have always been at the bottom of the NHL in terms of possession. I cannot be the only one who remembers all those games that we were stuck in our own zone and were outshot by an absolutely massive margin. We always had to rely on our goalies to bail us out.

He was an idiot and clueless as a head coach, as well. He would wonder why his teams were bad at puck possession and then he would always tell them to dump and chase, which is as anti-possession as it gets. The defencemen were always left to dry because Carlyle never would ask the forwards to help out.

He also ran good players like Grabovski and MacArthur out of town and heavily underused and misused them, while they were here. Two good, two way players, who were also good possession players. He didn't have any problem playing Orr and McLaren, though. He also didn't have any problem calling out our goalies, which is dumb, since our goalies were the biggest part of the little success we had.

Also, remember when he cost us a second round pick by playing Holland the necessary 25 games? Too bad Holland only played 5 minutes per game and on the 4th line.

The 'Carlyle got the Leafs to the playoffs" narrative is also way overstated. Yes, he got us into the playoffs, but only because it was a shortened season. That collapse in game 7 only happened because we were such an awful possession team. For essentially the entirety of third period, we were stuck in our own zone and had to rely on Reimer to bail us out. Unfortunately, Reimer became the scapegoat, even though he was the biggest reason we even made it to the post season in the first place.

The "Carlyle got the best out of his players" is another narrative that got old fast. Carlyle had us playing unsustainable hockey. That's it. Every year, we would collapse with him, but there were always people defending him for some reason. For instance, people would say that he had us in a playoff position when he was fired, but conveniently forget there were teams below us with a bunch of games. The Leafs also had an abnormal (and unsustainable) shooting percentage and Bernier was playing absolutely lights out. Not to mention the Leafs only won like 2 games out of their previous 9, when he was canned.

Therefore, because of all the reason listed, Carlyle is an awful coach, who has no place in today's NHL.

tl;dr: Carlyle is a horrible coach, with an equally terrible system. His system was extremely anti-possession, which obviously doesn't work in today's NHL. He made a lot of dumb choices as the head coach and ran good players out of town, while playing goons. He was lucky he got goal tending and a good shooting percentage from the team, because it masks a lot of his failures. His results were always unsustainable. He should not have a place in today's NHL.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Carlyle is/was a good coach. He knows what he has to work with and constantly got more out of this team than he should have while he was here. Like someone else said, watching the team implode under Horachek will only help his reputation as a coach. Was much better than rotten Ronnie for the sole fact he didn't throw players under the bus.

He'll get another job somewhere, guaranteed.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Carlyle is/was a good coach. He knows what he has to work with and constantly got more out of this team than he should have while he was here. Like someone else said, watching the team implode under Horachek will only help his reputation as a coach. Was much better than rotten Ronnie for the sole fact he didn't throw players under the bus.

He'll get another job somewhere, guaranteed.
Just because Horachek is a godawful coach, doesn't mean Carlyle is good. Randy gave up on trying to get the team to commit defensively after a handful of games. I'll give him credit for getting a lot out of the players he had, but what he was doing would never have elevated the Leafs to more than a borderline team at best... Their style of play was unsustainable, as we saw with the late collapses season after season.

This team is playing so much better with Babcock that it's really hard to ignore how bad they were... And the core group, aside from Kessel are all the same.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Just because Horachek is a godawful coach, doesn't mean Carlyle is good. Randy gave up on trying to get the team to commit defensively after a handful of games. I'll give him credit for getting a lot out of the players he had, but what he was doing would never have elevated the Leafs to more than a borderline team at best... Their style of play was unsustainable, as we saw with the late collapses season after season.

I'll still say that, Horachek has a better idea of what it takes to win, than Randy. Respect and interim killed the team more.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
How many teams are actively looking to hire a new coach? Why would any team ask for permission who isn't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad