Report: No team has asked Maple Leafs for permission to speak with Carlyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No you actually don't know hockey. Randy is an old age coach with an ancient system.
He is terrible

Funny. I believe when Panik came over here from Tampa he commented on learning Randy's "ancient system."

He said it was easy. Because it was basically the same as they used in Tampa.

Don't let these facts get in the way of a good rant though.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Just because Horachek is a godawful coach, doesn't mean Carlyle is good. Randy gave up on trying to get the team to commit defensively after a handful of games. I'll give him credit for getting a lot out of the players he had, but what he was doing would never have elevated the Leafs to more than a borderline team at best... Their style of play was unsustainable, as we saw with the late collapses season after season.

This team is playing so much better with Babcock that it's really hard to ignore how bad they were... And the core group, aside from Kessel are all the same.

I am not a Carlyle supporter, although I don't think he was that bad either.

Let's take your two bolded statements. So, are you saying that Babcock will elevate this current roster to more than a borderline team? I don't see it happening. Plus, we are only 6 games into the season with a 1-3-2 record. We may be "playing better" so to speak, but it isn't translating into wins...yet. Carlyle had these guys winning at times, somehow. We have no idea whether Babcock can continue to keep these guys motivated or eventually they will fall back to old habits like they did with Carlyle.

Let's not also forget that Carlyle never got the management support that Babcock has had. There was no ultimatum to players, no shipping out of a star player to send a message...it was more, "make this group of lazy a**es win, however you can because you are stuck with them."

There are reports he tried to implement new breakouts, and Phil refused to do it. Hard to change your systems if the players refuse and management doesn't step in and back you.

Did I like Randy's style of play? Not really. In all fairness though, he was saddled with a group that wouldn't work hard and management did nothing to help him. No real changes were made until after Carlyle was fired. I give him credit for somehow managing to put up wins with the group he had to work with whether I liked his style or not. Had Management started the changes the previous summer, maybe Carlyle would have had a more motivated group to work with as well and we could compare apples to apples situations instead of apples to prunes.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Funny. I believe when Panik came over here from Tampa he commented on learning Randy's "ancient system."

He said it was easy. Because it was basically the same as they used in Tampa.

Don't let these facts get in the way of a good rant though.

Perhaps that's why he was waived. He couldn't grasp the system. ;)

Perhaps the defensive system was the same, the breakouts and zone entry system is completely different.

And I highly doubt Carlyle would run Kucherov-Johnson-Palat line.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How many have spoken to Ron Wilson?

Maybe we are the coach graveyard?

How would anyone know?

We could just go with actual results I suppose and whether either of these coaches actually got hired or not?

I don't know how we would know really, and I don't care. This is all just for fun talk anyhow & not to be taken too seriously. That's probably why I put the question mark (?) at the end of each sentence I suppose. ;)

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We could just go with actual results I suppose and whether either of these coaches actually got hired or not?

I don't know really know how we would know, and I don't care. This is all just for fun talk anyhow & not to be taken too seriously. That's probably why I put the question mark (?) at the end of each sentence I suppose. ;)

There seems to be an assumption being made, not necessarily by you, that it's absurd to think that any Team would have any interest in the former Leaf coaches.

I would think there are many factors that would play into why there may not be interest in them. Being viewed as incompetent would be near or at the bottom of the list.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There seems to be an assumption being made, not necessarily by you, that it's absurd to think that any Team would have any interest in the former Leaf coaches.

I would think there are many factors that would play into why there may not be interest in them. Being viewed as incompetent would be near or at the bottom of the list.

No interest? I haven't made that assumption.

But, it is interesting to note that Wilson or Carlyle have not been hired (at least so far).

What is the status of Horachek?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No interest? I haven't made that assumption.

But, it is interesting to note that Wilson or Carlyle have not been hired (at least so far).

What is the status of Horachek?

As I said, "not necessarily by you".

No idea about Horachek but IMO, he wouldn't be viewed by the league the same as Wilson or Carlyle.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'll still say that, Horachek has a better idea of what it takes to win, than Randy. Respect and interim killed the team more.

Not a chance that Horachek had a better idea of what it takes to win over Randy.

Facts state the opposite....so does a Stanley Cup Ring.

Randy has Never had a losing record in any hockey season other then a part season.

His record with Toronto over all was 91-78-19 coaching a seriously flawed team.

His full NHL coaching record:

Total 704 364 260 80 Points 808 P%: .563 Play offs 39 30 .565

6 playoff appearances, 1 Stanley Cup

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Perhaps that's why he was waived. He couldn't grasp the system. ;)

Perhaps the defensive system was the same, the breakouts and zone entry system is completely different.

And I highly doubt Carlyle would run Kucherov-Johnson-Palat line.

Yeah. That would be silly.

Like trying to play the Red Wings system without the talent of the Red Wings.

?

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
So, are you saying that Babcock will elevate this current roster to more than a borderline team? I don't see it happening. Plus, we are only 6 games into the season with a 1-3-2 record. We may be "playing better" so to speak, but it isn't translating into wins...yet. Carlyle had these guys winning at times, somehow. We have no idea whether Babcock can continue to keep these guys motivated or eventually they will fall back to old habits like they did with Carlyle.

You don't see it happening? Have you seen ANY game yet this season? This team is much more disciplined than last year's bunch. Which will translate to success if they continue to progress. And there's no reason to suspect they won't. Those who don't get it will be gone, plain and simple. The problem right now is they have nobody who can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. And they won't...not this year, anyway. This is a placeholder year. It's for Babcock et al to put a system in place, both with the big club and in the A, that ALL will learn. The kids will mature and eventually move up, knowing what is expected of them while continuing to learn ONE system.

As for Carlyle's influence on their wins from last season, I think they won in spite of him, not because of him. And when the rest of the league caught on that these yutz's couldn't play a lick of D, they simply waited for the inevitable mistakes, pounced, and scored. Easy peasy! You simply can't play Firewagon Hockey ala the 50's Habs or the 80's Oilers and expect to win. It's a different league. And when Randy got the axe, Horacek made them commit to defence, which took away the only edge they had...the ability to forego defending for the fast break offence. And we all know what happened.

I have nothing against Carlyle. I just think he was the wrong guy for this group. Actually, I don't really know WHO could have made anything out of the dog's breakfast we had. They followed Phil's lead. I think that was their ultimate downfall. Personally, I hope someone does hire the guy. We could always use another 2nd round pick.

RLF

May 5, 2014
You don't see it happening? Have you seen ANY game yet this season? This team is much more disciplined than last year's bunch. Which will translate to success if they continue to progress. And there's no reason to suspect they won't. Those who don't get it will be gone, plain and simple. The problem right now is they have nobody who can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. And they won't...not this year, anyway. This is a placeholder year. It's for Babcock et al to put a system in place, both with the big club and in the A, that ALL will learn. The kids will mature and eventually move up, knowing what is expected of them while continuing to learn ONE system.

As for Carlyle's influence on their wins from last season, I think they won in spite of him, not because of him. And when the rest of the league caught on that these yutz's couldn't play a lick of D, they simply waited for the inevitable mistakes, pounced, and scored. Easy peasy! You simply can't play Firewagon Hockey ala the 50's Habs or the 80's Oilers and expect to win. It's a different league. And when Randy got the axe, Horacek made them commit to defence, which took away the only edge they had...the ability to forego defending for the fast break offence. And we all know what happened.

I have nothing against Carlyle. I just think he was the wrong guy for this group. Actually, I don't really know WHO could have made anything out of the dog's breakfast we had. They followed Phil's lead. I think that was their ultimate downfall. Personally, I hope someone does hire the guy. We could always use another 2nd round pick.

I've seen the games, did you actually read what I said? I said I don't see him making us a playoff team with the current roster...not the one after we get rid of those who don't get it. I also said, before we say there is definite change, can Babcock continue to keep this group motivated and 6 games is not enough to draw a conclusion.

So let me get this straight...I must not be watching the games because I don't get that Babcock's influence this year "will translate to success if they continue to progress. And there's no reason to suspect they won't."
Yet at the same time "And they won't...not this year, anyway. This is a placeholder year."
So, they will be more than a borderline team and at the same time this is just a placeholder year? :huh:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

john tortorella's return to an nhl bench filled note pads and provided great content for talk radio this week. The focus quickly shifted to the bombastic history torts has, rather than the drastic move the blue jackets made, firing todd richards just seven games into the season.

Columbus needed a new voice. They get that in tortorella, along with the edge, passion and stubbornness of a veteran coach whose career has risen from the ashes.

In the meantime, another coaching vet is eager to get back on the bench. randy carlyle says his appetite for coaching is as strong as ever, provided the job is an nhl head coaching job. Carlyle was recently contacted by a khl club, but he respectfully declined to keep his north american options open.

while somewhat surprised by the swift firing of richards in columbus, carlyle, who was fired last january by the toronto maple leafs, says it comes with the territory.

carlyle isn't sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. He's busy, currently packing up his cottage and tying off loose ends to head south where he will spend the winter in california. Yes, there will be time to golf and fish, but he stays tuned in to the hockey world by attending anaheim ducks home games, as well taking in as many ahl games in san diego (ducks) and ontario (kings) as possible.

"i pay attention and i watch a lot of games," carlyle told the dreger report. "you have to stay current and be willing to learn new things and steal a few ideas along the way.

"it's all part of evolving as a coach."

he says the most noticeable change is the number of young players playing in the league and adds he will definitely adjust his approach in his next coaching job to factor in the influence of youth.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
carlyle isn't sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. He's busy, currently packing up his cottage and tying off loose ends to head south where he will spend the winter in california. Yes, there will be time to golf and fish, but he stays tuned in to the hockey world by attending anaheim ducks home games, as well taking in as many ahl games in san diego (ducks) and ontario (kings) as possible.

"i pay attention and i watch a lot of games," carlyle told the dreger report.
"you have to stay current and be willing to learn new things and steal a few ideas along the way.

Hmm, makes you wonder if someone told him to get caught up on a certain team.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Didn't Tortz say the same thing the day before he showed up in Columbus as head coach? Where there's smoke there's fire. He may have to settle for an AHL job or assistant coach job but it would be nice to see him get that 1000 games coached in the NHL. Best of luck to the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad