Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People saying this is a make or break it year for Kakko, I think are missing what is likely to occur. If he plays a full healthy season with Chytil on what is the teams 3rd line, he could conceivably put up 40 points in that role and garner himself a long term deal that is actually team friendly. Especially if the majority of those points are 5v5

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah, I mean, I am one of the bigger Kakko complainers on the board and I recognize that this has just gone full-swing the other way in terms of silliness.
What I would really like to see is KK come in to camp in elite shape. A great motor that consistently outworks other guys on the ice can sometimes make up for other stuff.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
People saying this is a make or break it year for Kakko, I think are missing what is likely to occur. If he plays a full healthy season with Chytil on what is the teams 3rd line, he could conceivably put up 40 points in that role and garner himself a long term deal that is actually team friendly. Especially if the majority of those points are 5v5

That’s only if he’s not pissed from the lack of top 6 min/special teams…..
I can guarantee his agent is prob in his ear about that…..
Ultimately, it’s up to Kakko. Whether he wants to stay a career 3rd liner here, or try and get a bigger opportunity elsewhere and try and make the big bucks.
Imo, he should a least be on the PK rotation especially with Goodrow gone….
If goodie wasn’t too slow to PK, neither is kakko.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That’s only if he’s not pissed from the lack of top 6 min/special teams…..
I can guarantee his agent is prob in his ear about that…..
Ultimately, it’s up to Kakko. Whether he wants to stay a career 3rd liner here, or try and get a bigger opportunity elsewhere and try and make the big bucks.
Imo, he should a least be on the PK rotation especially with Goodrow gone….
If goodie wasn’t too slow to PK, neither is kakko.
Nobody would like KK to become a top 6 player more than the GM and coaches. That would be one less position they need to fill. That would be great for everyone involved. Ultimately that comes down to how KK plays.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
At the cost of a grand total one 2nd round pick Drury was able to move the full cost of Goodrow’s contract and add Ryan Smith with a retention from Pens for net zero change to the cap space. IMO this is a net nice win for Drury.

The reason I mention it, Kakko is now 3RW on the depth chart so from the roster improvement perspective there’s no pressure to move Kakko sooner, as said before Drury only moves Kakko as part of the right deal, whenever it comes.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well, that's kind of my point, no?

He's going to be on the roster right now unless someone offers enough for it to make sense to move him.
I just think it’s very possible Drury moves him.

If they weren’t in win now mode, I’d say otherwise.

Again, this is all just putting things together on a logic basis and my gut feelings. I have nothing further to support any of it.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So what are the better odds. Kakko getting 40 points or Chytil staying healthy for a whole season. Possibly neither which makes projecting them 2/3 of the 3rd line a bit scary.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Montreal signed Slafkovsky to that giant deal. 8 years, 7.6 million a year. That's a great deal if he continues to develop. Its funny just in terms of perception... both products of TPS in the Liiga. He didnt even sniff Kakko's draft pedigree at the time. Its not exactly apples to apples but still... Kakko had 40 points the season prior, only 3 on the PP. That was at age 21/22. He played 15 minutes a game. Slafkovsky had 50 points this year, but 14 on the PP. ~18 minutes a game. The majority as a 19 year old, so again not exactly apples to apples. It's kinda like what we've been saying for years now, it's really just a matter of perception.

I know Kakko struggled this year with the wonder twins, then couldn't really get anything going on those revolving door third lines of Cuylle, Wennberg, Brodzinski, Bonino, etc... not all that different from the 21-22 season for Chytil. That was when half the boards wanted to jettison the kid while playing with Gauthier, Goodrow, Hunt, Laffy, etc... similar situations, not the most talented linemates.

But back to Kakko, you take that previous season... put him on other teams where he's playing 18 minutes a game with an actual powerplay role like Slafkovsky... you're probably looking at a +50 point player for Kakko. An average top 6 player, but still plenty young. Then the perception is closer to someone like Slafkovsky where you're saying this is a talented young player still developing. The difference is essentially 10 powerplay points, one guy gets a 60 million dollar deal, the other kid gets a 1 year ~2.5 million dollar deal. Instead Kakko's the struggling #2 overall pick playing a secondary role relegated purely to 5v5 usage on a team with a dynamite powerplay and zero avaliable spots.

And I'm not saying give him a powerplay spot, just in terms of perception of the player... I think on many teams Kakko is probably an average top 6 player, he just plays a very limited role for us. At the least I would like to see him get some time on the penalty kill though

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nobody would like KK to become a top 6 player more than the GM and coaches. That would be one less position they need to fill. That would be great for everyone involved. Ultimately that comes down to how KK plays.
For that to happen, he’s going to need more ice time.
Very tough to put up more than 35-40 points from 3rd line min with no special teams.
The best 3rd liners production wise, only top out at around 50pts with similar deployment……
Getting Kakko in the rotation on the PK at least gets him more minutes on the ice instead of on the bench.
Who knows, maybe Lavi will give him another 15-20 games to start the year with kreids/mika again.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
For that to happen, he’s going to need more ice time.
Very tough to put up more than 35-40 points from 3rd line min with no special teams.
The best 3rd liners production wise, only top out at around 50pts with similar deployment……
Getting Kakko in the rotation on the PK at least gets him more minutes on the ice instead of on the bench.
Who knows, maybe Lavi will give him another 15-20 games to start the year with kreids/mika again.
Its not about minutes. Top line players should look like top line players in their first 10 minutes of playing just as much or more than in their 15-18th minute of playing time. Go out and have a great first 5 shifts. You will get extra minutes because the coaches will notice who has jump tonight. Put Mcdavid on the ice with a third line playing 14 minutes a game. Will you not notice his skills and say this guy is great and we should get him on the ice more? If KK plays well the coaches will be thrilled to give him more minutes.
Id like to try KK on the PK but I don't know what to expect because quick short starting and stopping are not his strength.

Hodes42

Mar 26, 2024
Perhaps it’s a strategy to mostly bury KK on the 3rd line for a few seasons so they can sign him for less later on?

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Why bring him back to be RW3? What are you getting out of that? The point is to see if he can break out. He’s not doing that at RW3.

On the other hand, if you’re Chris Drury, chances are you’re on the hot seat and you can’t hinge your chances of winning a cup on Kakko breaking out.

The only thing that makes sense is to move him.
Inagree. We have been patient with him. He just doesn’t have it. Heart or brains.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Its not about minutes. Top line players should look like top line players in their first 10 minutes of playing just as much or more than in their 15-18th minute of playing time. Go out and have a great first 5 shifts. You will get extra minutes because the coaches will notice who has jump tonight. Put Mcdavid on the ice with a third line playing 14 minutes a game. Will you not notice his skills and say this guy is great and we should get him on the ice more? If KK plays well the coaches will be thrilled to give him more minutes.
Id like to try KK on the PK but I don't know what to expect because quick short starting and stopping are not his strength.
I understand what you are saying about the eye test and minutes. However 18mins is 20% more opportunity to score than 15mins. That extrapolates 40 points to 48 points right there. It’s all moot though. We are going to just have to see what he does this year, I guess.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I understand what you are saying about the eye test and minutes. However 18mins is 20% more opportunity to score than 15mins. That extrapolates 40 points to 48 points right there. It’s all moot though. We are going to just have to see what he does this year, I guess.
We can often see who is playing at what level in general. It doesn't take 18 minutes to see it. If you had no idea who was who on the ice and you watched McDavid, Hughes, Crosby, Bedard, or McKinnon on a 3rd line with Cuylle and KK as their wings how many minutes do you think it would take you to know who is the top line player? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? I trust that you would see the difference in players pretty soon. Even guys like CK and Zibs started out playing 3rd line minutes. They didn't start out as 18 minute guys. Their play led to more minutes. If KK plays well there is no reason he will not play more. Its not like Lavi has anything against him.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
We can often see who is playing at what level in general. It doesn't take 18 minutes to see it. If you had no idea who was who on the ice and you watched McDavid, Hughes, Crosby, Bedard, or McKinnon on a 3rd line with Cuylle and KK as their wings how many minutes do you think it would take you to know who is the top line player? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? I trust that you would see the difference in players pretty soon. Even guys like CK and Zibs started out playing 3rd line minutes. They didn't start out as 18 minute guys. Their play led to more minutes. If KK plays well there is no reason he will not play more. Its not like Lavi has anything against him.
Again, you are talking about how they look and I’m talking about what they actually produce. And I get it, but there are plenty of non eye catching players that are super valuable and quite productive.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
lavi himself said that taking kakko off of that line was not kakkos fault. him getting fewer minutes was because he was being played on the 3rd line.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
lavi himself said that taking kakko off of that line was not kakkos fault. him getting fewer minutes was because he was being played on the 3rd line.
Lavi was probably being a bit honest but also a bit protective. He wasn't going to throw any player under the bus. He didn't throw KK under the bus even when he scratched him in the playoffs. I'm 100% hopeful KK will play great in the future but it does us no good to stick our heads in the sand regarding his play last season.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Lavi was probably being a bit honest but also a bit protective. He wasn't going to throw any player under the bus. He didn't throw KK under the bus even when he scratched him in the playoffs. I'm 100% hopeful KK will play great in the future but it does us no good to stick our heads in the sand regarding his play last season.
nicky by your own insistence your evaluation of kakkos play as a fan is pure, speculative, un-informed opinion. so i'm not sure what you mean by stick our heads in the sand.

maybe it escapes you that kakko had a major leg injury. maybe you're not recalling that when Kakko was on the Zib line, they played well together, dominant by analytic standards, they just couldn't finish.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
nicky by your own insistence your evaluation of kakkos play as a fan is pure, speculative, un-informed opinion. so i'm not sure what you mean by stick our heads in the sand.

maybe it escapes you that kakko had a major leg injury. maybe you're not recalling that when Kakko was on the Zib line, they played well together, dominant by analytic standards, they just couldn't finish.
Yes it is only my uniformed opinion that KK did not have a good 2023-24 season. You are 100% allowed to disagree. I will say I think the reduced minutes, scratch in the playoffs, and current contract probably aligns with my opinion though.

Reactions: Number 9

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
If “looking like a top line player” was an actual qualification needed to play on this teams top line Panarin would be a 4x 100 point scorer

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If “looking like a top line player” was an actual qualification needed to play on this teams top line Panarin would be a 4x 100 point scorer
Huh? Trying to say something funny but what came out was like a silent wind

(95, 96, 92 and 120 point seasons for the Rangers plus 58 in 42 in the Covid shortened season)

Reactions: NickyFotiu

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kappo has never quite overcome his confidence issues and never put everything together. There have been glimmers and the 22-23 year he seemed to be making some progress. His other main issue is he's been somewhat injury prone. If he can somehow push Reilly Smith off of the 2nd line great but one of the two is likely to be 2nd RW and the other 3rd RW.

As disappointing as Kakko's career has been he is still a for real NHL player. He plays his position well away from the puck.....he chips in offense. He's not going to make the big money the way he's going but he's going to do okay. He could continue on doing what he's doing though for a 1000 NHL game career.....if he wants to. He's a player....just not the player we were hoping to get......or at least not so far.

One other thing about Kaapo is he doesn't appear to me to have an Alpha personality and I think that factors into how his game has developed since he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad