Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Huh? Trying to say something funny but what came out was like a silent wind

(95, 96, 92 and 120 point seasons for the Rangers plus 58 in 42 in the Covid shortened season)
It was a joke about his ass right wingers every year because people in this thread were saying Kakko would be in the top 6 if he looked like a top 6er haha

Reactions: kovazub94

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 12.42.07 PM.png
While its really the only thing to hang our hat on right now, I think Smith is a good add to this club. I know they were looking to add him for a few seasons now.

He may not turn out to be the answer for the bromance (really unsure of who, exactly that may be anwyay) but he will be better than Roslovic thats for sure.

He's a plus player (+127 for his career is very good) who is responsible on both sides of the puck. Has won a Cup so he knows what it takes. He can PK and PP if needed. Has been very consistent throughout his career and they didn't overextend on his contract to get him since Pitt retained.

They are getting him off a down year. His shooting percentage was 12.78% the past 6 seasons before falling to a career low 8.6%. To me thats an indicator he wasnt a great fit in Pitt. Yet he still put up 40 points.

Without PP time hell prob be around 40-50 here as well, I can see him sniffing 20 goals - but more importantly he wont burn you defensively. It isnt a sexy move, but he can play and adds to forward depth. He's on a one year deal looking for one more UFA contract, so he's motivated to produce.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
At least he goes to the middle and towards the net. I hope he does well. Underrated player.
If hes on the wing with Mika, he's a shit ton smarter than Roslovic and that should help compliment that line.

But I could see things staying very vanilla at times, if Mika isnt going it wont matter whos on the wings. Too many ones and done, into the zone and back out.

Defensively this should be a stout line, but its the offense 5on5 where we need to see tangible improvements.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If hes on the wing with Mika, he's a shit ton smarter than Roslovic and that should help compliment that line.

But I could see things staying very vanilla at times, if Mika isnt going it wont matter whos on the wings. Too many ones and done, into the zone and back out.

Defensively this should be a stout line, but its the offense 5on5 where we need to see tangible improvements.
I think we just may have to accept that we have a very expensive checking line for the forseeable future. With a powerplay prowess bonus.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I want Laffy next to the wonder twins. He's shown flashes this season that he can be a play driver on a line. I'll give Mika a pass this year dealing with the baby, that can effect players differently... but if that's what we have going forward you need a winger that can drive play and generate offense.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I want Laffy next to the wonder twins. He's shown flashes this season that he can be a play driver on a line. I'll give Mika a pass this year dealing with the baby, that can effect players differently... but if that's what we have going forward you need a winger that can drive play and generate offense.
Honestly, I wouldn't break up the Laf-Tro-Panarin line, let them continue to cook. They were our best line, don't wanna break up a good thing.

I'm hoping Smith can finally be who we need with Kreider and Zibanejad, and we won't have to worry about it anymore.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I will say it again. Trading for Smith was an underrated great addition.

Kreider-Mika-Smith
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Berard-Chytil-Kakko
Cuylle-Carrick-Edstrom/Rempe
Brodzinski

That's a pretty deep forward group that doesn't even include Othmann who will see playing time at some point this year. No Wheeler/Pitlick/Bonino garbage either.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I will say it again. Trading for Smith was an underrated great addition.

Kreider-Mika-Smith
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Berard-Chytil-Kakko
Cuylle-Carrick-Edstrom/Rempe
Brodzinski

That's a pretty deep forward group that doesn't even include Othmann who will see playing time at some point this year. No Wheeler/Pitlick/Bonino garbage either.

Berard will get a few first NHL games in the NHL this season. Othmann has the better chance to make the team. Rangers usually have their younger players get a few games previous before they make it full time. Cuylle got his 6 games the season before this season and then made it full time the following year, Schneider same thing. Othmann brings an edge this team can use in the top 9. Cuylle I think should get top 9 minutes.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Berard will get a few first NHL games in the NHL this season. Othmann has the better chance to make the team. Rangers usually have their younger players get a few games previous before they make it full time. Cuylle got his 6 games the season before this season and then made it full time the following year, Schneider same thing. Othmann brings an edge this team can use in the top 9. Cuylle I think should get top 9 minutes.
That's what training camp is for. Battle it out. I think Berard's game is more ready at this point and he is also a PIA to play against. Both will likely see time next year. Cuylle can play 3rd or 4th line minutes. The more depth and versatility the better. I also just remembered I forgot about Vesey in that forward group. This camp is going to be interesting.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Smith is a good 5v5 player who does a lot of the little things right that we need.

I don't think he really had that bad of a year. He had 32 even strength points and his underlying numbers at even strength were solid.

He was complete ass on the powerplay but he's not going to be a huge powerplay factor here and the whole Pens powerplay forgot how to play hockey this past year.

Matter of fact, the whole team shot like 2%, and I didn't really watch them enough to be able to explain it, but there has to be some meaningless voodoo factored into that.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Smith is a good 5v5 player who does a lot of the little things right that we need.

I don't think he really had that bad of a year. He had 32 even strength points and his underlying numbers at even strength were solid.

He was complete ass on the powerplay but he's not going to be a huge powerplay factor here and the whole Pens powerplay forgot how to play hockey this past year.

Matter of fact, the whole team shot like 2%, and I didn't really watch them enough to be able to explain it, but there has to be some meaningless voodoo factored into that.
Plus he'll make a big impact killing penalties.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's what training camp is for. Battle it out. I think Berard's game is more ready at this point and he is also a PIA to play against. Both will likely see time next year. Cuylle can play 3rd or 4th line minutes. The more depth and versatility the better. I also just remembered I forgot about Vesey in that forward group. This camp is going to be interesting.
Either Berard or Othmann will need to outplay or at least play-up to Cuylle’s level in order to push him to the forth line. The remaining prospect will go back to Hartford at the start. Rempe in this case is 13th and available for rotation. If neither Berard or Othmann make it then Edstrom enters the picture.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I want Laffy next to the wonder twins. He's shown flashes this season that he can be a play driver on a line. I'll give Mika a pass this year dealing with the baby, that can affect players differently... but if that's what we have going forward you need a winger that can drive play and generate offense.
If Drury didn’t bring Smith I’d be more in favor of trying Laf there but now I don’t want to break up Panarin line. Let’s try Smith with Zebanejad first. Both players had down sooting % so it’s possible they get back to their career numbers and in the process develop chemistry.

This acquisition could low key be the factor long with heath that propels the team back to the top of the league again. A lot of pursuers improved but did they improve enough? The top tier teams were basically trying to at minimize the regression.

Reactions: bhamill

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Smith replaces Goodrow on PK?

i still want to see KK or Cuylle or a non- Carrick non-vet option on PK

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I like Smith. He's a great replacement for Goodrow. Better in everyway and actually playable in the top 6, which Barclay was never capable of. He's had some big playoff runs in Vegas and he's a vet who now has a year in the Metro under his belt. If the team is hellbent on keeping Mika and kreider together, Reilly Smith is a better stand in for what Vesey has done effectively on that line before. aka good at defense, but he can actually score with the goalie in the net and pass the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad