HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Because players before the last few years always wanted to play for the team that drafted them. Okay boomer with the "entitled generation" crap.
As Bobby Clarke told Lindros at pre-draft meeting: “not sure who is providing you guidance, but NHL players play for the team who draft them, so learn to STFU, know you’re place and do as you’re told, report to Nordiques”

Philly traded for Lindros a few months later…and one of the reasons Clarke gave Lindros such a hard time after joining Flyers as GM was because of the grudge he held from the draft

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Because players before the last few years always wanted to play for the team that drafted them. Okay boomer with the "entitled generation" crap.
Before 2018, these situations rarely popped up, Wheeler (2008), Vesey (2013?) & Zach Hyman (2015) only come to mind

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's an acquired taste for a lot of people, the story is pretty opaque and it has an all around dark, oppressing atmosphere to it. I was just completely taken by the look of it and the universe on my very first viewing, I had literally never seen anything quite like it at the time visualy. I like it to the point where I own several versions/cuts of it, it's one of those movies that I'll rewatch every 2-3 years, to this day.
To fully understand the appeal of movies from the end of 70ies to mid 80ies like Star Wars, Alien, Aliens, The Thing, Blade Runner ans such you kind of have to have been alive back then. Those movies were so ahead of their time in the visual department that it was like watching something from another world.

I mean just like 10 years prior to that horror movies and sci-fi movies were made with ugly cheap halloween costume level makeup and suit that were not believeable at all. I remember watching Aliens on VHS when i was 9 with my sister when my parents were away and being blown away by the visuals. It was like nothings i had seen up to then. Also remember watching Star Wars on a 14 inch black and white TV on regular TV programming when i was about about 6 or 7 and i was like woah this is something else ...

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
As Bobby Clarke told Lindros at pre-draft meeting: “not sure who is providing you guidance, but NHL players play for the team who draft them, so learn to STFU, know you’re place and do as you’re told, report to Nordiques”

Philly traded for Lindros a few months later…and one of the reasons Clarke gave Lindros such a hard time after joining Flyers as GM was because of the grudge he held from the draft

Yeah, that aged exceptionally well knowing how Marcel Aubut behaved with Lindros mother.

It don't work like this anymore and organisation also have standard to meet.

Reactions: 417

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
NHL needs to address two main points in the next CBA.
1) NCAA players ability to opt out of signing with club that drafted them is ridiculous
2) Salary cap in playoffs should be the same as regular season to avoid ridiculous amount of subversion in post season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1) NCAA players ability to opt out of signing with club that drafted them is ridiculous

2) Salary cap in playoffs should be the same as regular season to avoid ridiculous amount of subversion in post season.
You guys realize that it's a 2 way street right?

What about teams who decide not to sign a player during his college career?

Is there something that protects them? Or is it always just about whats good for owners/teams?

Is anyone going to lose sleep once the Habs decide not to sign Blake Biondi?

If you want to force NCAA players to play for the team that drafts them, then you’ll also need to see NHL teams commit to signing players they draft.

That ain't gonna happen, so its a moot point.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah, that aged exceptionally well knowing how Marcel Aubut behaved with Lindros mother.

It don't work like this anymore and organisation also have standard to meet.
That’s the whole point…

For McGroarty this is all about $$$$$$ - building the case for big increa$e 2nd contract followed by big time UFA contract payout.

NCAA prospects have been brought to the realization they’ve got negotiation power they can exercise with enough leverage to firmly grip NHL management by the balls

It’s bu$ine$$ not per$onal…

Reactions: Jaynki and jaffy27

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
New one is okay. Like it's probably the best you would expect a Blade Runner sequel to be. When they anounced the sequel my reaction was it's going to ****. The end result was it was okay. Obviously it doesn't have the appeal of the original because it's already been done but as a sequel it's better than i expected it to be.
I enjoyed it, but I feel it's best enjoyed as an IMAX experience though. I don't know if i'd like it as much on a TV with ehh sound

Pretty good story and great atmosphere though

Reactions: jaffy27

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That’s the whole point…

For McGroarty this is all about $$$$$$ - building the case for big increa$e 2nd contract followed by big time UFA contract payout.

NCAA prospects have been brought to the realization they’ve got negotiation power they can exercise with enough leverage to firmly grip NHL management by the balls

It’s bu$ine$$ not per$onal…

And for the Jets its about what?

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Point one is quite silly. If you apply at said company for your next dream job and they ghost you, how would you feel? Same as if you're trying to quit a certain job for another opportunity. If your former company tries to coerce you into staying, how would you feel?

The only thing that they need to do is rectify the buyout process. Players should not be allowed to have 2/3rds of their remaining salary guaranteed. Maybe a 1/3 is much more reasonable, but neither side will commit to make such a drastic move.

For point 2, many owners will simply refuse to make any changes to the ruling.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the CHL agreement is even worse than these two. Having guys like Joshua Roy waste a year in the CHL for no reason aside from greed is just bad. It also opens up more high-end development spots for youngsters and adds youth inside the sport, probably the main driver of development for a sport.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Point one is quite silly. If you apply at said company for your next dream job and they ghost you, how would you feel? Same as if you're trying to quit a certain job for another opportunity. If your former company tries to coerce you into staying, how would you feel?

The only thing that they need to do is rectify the buyout process. Players should not be allowed to have 2/3rds of their remaining salary guaranteed. Maybe a 1/3 is much more reasonable, but neither side will commit to make such a drastic move.

For point 2, many owners will simply refuse to make any changes to the ruling.
It’s not silly in the least. NCAA players are the only ones who can do this. They can take a franchise hostage and make them burn off a year of eligibility, just out right refuse to sign, demand a trade etc. and the team has zero options other then yielding to their demands. It’s madness. The only thing silly is your assertion that a club is going to “ghost” a prospect. Even if they did that, they could still ask for a trade without coming from the NCAA.

I think the CHL agreement is even worse than these two. Having guys like Joshua Roy waste a year in the CHL for no reason aside from greed is just bad. It also opens up more high-end development spots for youngsters and adds youth inside the sport, probably the main driver of development for a sport.
That’s sucks too but not as bad as the two points I made IMO. Yea it sucks to have to have a player stay in the OHL longer then they should be to prop up the league, but the cap subversion and huge bargaining power for NCAA players is far more of an issue, particularly not having any cap in the POs and teams can go tens of millions over cap for a playoff run. Just goes completely against the spirit of the rule and outright unfair to have two separate caps situations.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It’s not silly in the least. NCAA players are the only ones who can do this. They can take a franchise hostage and make them burn off a year of eligibility, just out right refuse to sign, demand a trade etc. and the team has zero options other then yielding to their demands. It’s madness. The only thing silly is your assertion that a club is going to “ghost” a prospect. Even if they did that, they could still ask for a trade without coming from the NCAA.
NCAA players are also unable to sign an ELC without giving up the ability to play in that league, thereby not getting any compensation up front via a signing bonus.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
NCAA players are also unable to sign an ELC without giving up the ability to play in that league, thereby not getting any compensation up front via a signing bonus.
That’s because they can’t sign a professional contract. That shouldn’t allow them to power they can wield over a franchise.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Damn, call someone out for what he is and his little followers get all upset.

Guy is a fraud and it's pretty easy to see that.

Might as well start posting hockey insiderr and the random alcoholic at the bar. Oh wait, that 2nd part you guys already do.
Seems like you're pretty upset, insulting posters because they have a different opinion :laugh: Stick to your pathetic attempts at being funny.

Reactions: 417

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know the reason why. Just pointing out that there are disadvantages, as well as advantages, for NCAA players.
Like a full college scholarship that offsets the delayed bonus. I get it. Just not a good reason to allow them the leverage they have over every other player who gets drafted.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And for the Jets its about what?
Survival - under Chevaldayoff the org has done a tremendous job drafting & slowly incubating players, which is what they’re doing w Perfetti & want to do w McGroarty.

Unfortunately for Jets, the landscape has changed beneath their feet & NCAA players now have come to realize they hold leverage position not the teams that draft them.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Survival - under Chevaldayoff the org has done a tremendous job drafting & slowly incubating players, which is what they’re doing w Perfetti & want to do w McGroarty.

Unfortunately for Jets, the landscape has changed beneath their feet & NCAA players now have come to realize they hold leverage position not the teams that draft them.
Let's be honest, I wouldn't even want to play in Winnipeg. Regardless, he's a young guy that needs to prove himself in the big league. These young guys now consider themselves entitled and want everything handed to them on a silver platter. I wouldn't touch this guy. Lindros did the same in the 90s. So, it really depends on the induvidual. The Habs had Galchenyuk, Grabovski and the Kostitsyns, once upon a time. Ribeiro came with his share of problems. Drouin is a recent example.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t considered Mesar as a 1st round value though far from it

Harris isn’t worth a 1st round pick

A FLA pick will be a late one
Man, ppl sell Harris short, after 15, you are looking at plenty of busts in the first round. He’s easy money at a late first. If you get a Harris in the 20’s you take it and run. People don’t seem to be very good with probability on this forum. The magic beans aren’t always better than real players. Most of the time they’re not.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Let's be honest, I wouldn't even want to play in Winnipeg. Regardless, he's a young guy that needs to prove himself in the big league. These young guys now consider themselves entitled and want everything handed to them on a silver platter. I wouldn't touch this guy. Lindros did the same in the 90s. So, it really depends on the induvidual. The Habs had Galchenyuk, Grabovski and the Kostitsyns, once upon a time. Ribeiro came with his share of problems. Drouin is a recent example.
But that’s the thing … Jets have been very successful drafting, trading for, and most importantly retaining mid-west players.

On avg 30-35% of their roster is comprised of mid-westerners they like playing close to home (Minny, Wisconsin, Michigan) - it’s a clear strategy the org has put in place.

McGroarty is a mid-Westerner from Nebraska - I believe him. This is not a Winter-peg issue - IMO something needlessly happened to derail the relationship, the opportunity to present an olive branch was somehow lost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad