GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Evans also had a huge role in helping the PK and was great to end the season. He averaged the 7th most SH TOI in the league which is crazy because he was the only forward in the top 20.
I don't equate SH TOI with good penalty killing particularly on a bottom dwelling club.
I'll agree it's not all on Jake but he's still our prime go to guy and we rocked a pitiful 76. something percent PK even with Armia's heroics.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia peaks when a new contract is due...I'm sure he will have a good year but not trading him at the deadline in order to resign him would be STOOOOPID
fool me once shame on you fool 87x shame on me.

I'm hoping for a 2nd. For sure I could see us only get a 3rd or a 4th. Long shot we get a 1st.

Reactions: McGees

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'm just not sure why we are writing off our players and assuming McGroarty is a sure thing.

He's a bust risk because of his bad feet.
Im not writing them off, I wouldn’t trade Barron but Harris is expendable due to our depth on the left side, Mesar is on the smaller side and likely doesn’t have a place in our Top 6 and can’t see him fitting into a bottom 6 role and the Panthers pick is likely late 20s if not 30s again.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Armia peaks when a new contract is due...I'm sure he will have a good year but not trading him at the deadline in order to resign him would be STOOOOPID
fool me once shame on you fool 87x shame on me.
If Bergevin was still here, I have no doubt he would have re-signed him to a 5x5 contract already but Hughes is not a low IQ clown so he will trade his ass and we'll all be happy.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Here is Marco D'Amico's take, which would make sense why a Slovak media outlet would have the deal and no Montreal media has that info:

Hockey30 being used as a source definitely shows you how legitimate this supposed proposal is.

Also, I doubt Jets would turn down three 1st round picks for McGroarty: Mesar + Barron + 2025 1st.
These hockey30 and other bullSh!t sites are polluting my facebook feed to the point that I feel like they are now my only friends. They often starts rumors from our HF discussions.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Ideally, this is the kind of upgrade you do last, in your contending years.

I wouldn't replace Evans now (or next year) unless a bona fide long term upgrade is achievable without overpayment. Obviously, this is assuming he doesn't price himself out.

If anything, we might replace him internally in a few years by the loser of the Beck/Kapanen fight for 3C. Maybe even Xhekaj if he sticks to C as a pro.
You just named 3 players who will wait till he leaves. Dvorak is already taking 3rd C.
Add Evans to Dvo (MLS and any other Mtl coach prefer and treat well the vets), these 3 young guns will have to wait and wait. If you beleive in them, give them room.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You just named 3 players who will wait till he leaves. Dvorak is already taking 3rd C.
Add Evans to Dvo (MLS and any other Mtl coach prefer and treat well the vets), these 3 young guns will have to wait and wait. If you beleive in them, give them room.

Dvorak is gone next summer, if not by TDL.

Why would Evans being there cause them to wait? You are aware you can shift Cs to wing or start young C at wing, right?

Are we supposed to trade everyone and force rookies in role they may not be ready for?

You make room if they prove they are ready, no need to silver spoon them a spot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Here is Marco D'Amico's take, which would make sense why a Slovak media outlet would have the deal and no Montreal media has that info:

Hockey30 being used as a source definitely shows you how legitimate this supposed proposal is.

Also, I doubt Jets would turn down three 1st round picks for McGroarty: Mesar + Barron + 2025 1st.
What does the number 5 pick being Demidov have to do with McGroarty?

That's a long shot. It could never happen. 2nd or 3rd is already a pretty good day.
I never would thought Chiarot could return more that Petry or Edmundson. What a difference a year makes...

We'll see Savard, Armia, and Dvo's trade values at the deadline. The picture could be very different than now.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I never would thought Chiarot could return more that Petry or Edmundson. What a difference a year makes...

We'll see Savard, Armia, and Dvo's trade values at the deadline. The picture could be very different than now.

Means they don't want to spend the assets that would be needed for McGroarty because they picked Demidov.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Means they don't want to spend the assets that would be needed for McGroarty because they picked Demidov.
I also see it as Demidov replenishing and achieving what we wanted for forward prospects. The way I see it, is if Demidov is gone, we draft a d-man and trade for McGroarty too.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Dvorak is gone next summer, if not by TDL.

Why would Evans being there cause them to wait? You are aware you can shift Cs to wing or start young C at wing, right?

Are we supposed to trade everyone and force rookies in role they may not be ready for?

You make room if they prove they are ready, no need to silver spoon them a spot.
The best that could happen is building faster when Habs trade or sign a better 4C that would be there for the next 6 years, for the window of our core players. A trade for Dach 2.0 but we get a 4C this time.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I guess the picture will be different. Savard will bring big return, Armia possibly too. Dvo gone will be an acheivement, even without return. That will make room for young guns or better nhlers.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I also see it as Demidov replenishing and achieving what we wanted for forward prospects. The way I see it, is if Demidov is gone, we draft a d-man and trade for McGroarty too.
I think that's what D'amico meant.
KH said after the first round that the trade (or trades) that was planned wasn't necessary anymore after drafting Demidov because he would've got a duplicate.
I don't see McG as a duplicate of Demidov though and i don't think they can say they have enough sure fire F prospects to fill the top 6 or top 9 in the future.

I'm glad they got Demidov but i'd be very curious to know what would've happened in a parallel universe where Demidov was gone at 5.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Someone here said that we have lots of depth at forward and I laughed. We have one of the worst in the league. They have a horrifying PK and bottom 6 capabilities are pathetic. I’m expecting some sort of trade because not signing one guy that can help kill a penalty is pretty gross imo

Last edited:
Reactions: zx81

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Someone here said that we have lots of depth at forward and I laughed. We have one of the worst in the league. Out horrifying PK and bottom 6 capabilities are pathetic. I’m expecting some sort of trade because not signing one guy that can help kill a penalty is pretty gross imo

People just like the players and hope the best for them. If you look at like "guess the point totals" threads and add everything up, people tend to think Montreal will be a top scoring team. They fall short because shit happens, and people generally don't account for it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The best that could happen is building faster when Habs trade or sign a better 4C that would be there for the next 6 years, for the window of our core players. A trade for Dach 2.0 but we get a 4C this time.

And who are such potential better 4C than Evans that could be there for 6 years? And what would be the price tag to acquire such a piece and the cap hit associated with it?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Two of those look like busts. Or bottom 6/ bottom pair. Barron I am higher on than Mesar. The first will be Florida. Not really much, around 30th.

If we had Kulich, McGroarty already be in Montreal. Or Necas, if they wanted him instead.

Mesar is small, frail. I don't know why we picked him. Habs already a team overflowing with small. Everybody knows it. He'll never be a factor here. Team be too small. The only reason we picked him that I can think of he's Slaf best friend.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Someone here said that we have lots of depth at forward and I laughed. We have one of the worst in the league. They have a horrifying PK and bottom 6 capabilities are pathetic. I’m expecting some sort of trade because not signing one guy that can help kill a penalty is pretty gross imo

We have a lot of depth at forward - doesn't mean it's all good depth.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad