Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
:pens
Hiring Ron Hextall and Brian Burke.

I dislike almost every move that Hextall made. Wasted some really good years for the Pens core and indirectly led into the Dubas administration, which appears to be pretty lackluster as well. Of course, Dubas still has time, but I'm not jumping for joy at this point of his tenure.

Reactions: banks

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
:pens
Hiring Ron Hextall and Brian Burke.

I dislike almost every move that Hextall made. Wasted some really good years for the Pens core and indirectly led into the Dubas administration, which appears to be pretty lackluster as well. Of course, Dubas still has time, but I'm not jumping for joy at this point of his tenure.
You mean hiring a Flyers legend was a bad move for the Penguins?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
For three+ years, I've had the same expression on my face when somebody would ask me "Why did Hextall...."
1721838764375.png

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Drafting Jake Bean when McAvoy was right there.

It’s staggering to think of what the Canes’ defensive group could have been if they drafted McAvoy. Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Faulk were already in the system and the first three on ELCs.
yep, this one. Boychuk the literal pick before EK, and Fleury over Nylander are the other two that absolutely kill me. The only one of these 3 picks that was even remotely justifiable at the time was the Fleury one considering that while we knew Slavin and Pesce were good prospects, literally nobody though they were what they wound up being at that point.

When McAvoy and Chychrun were still on the board with that pick and they went with Bean I was livid.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Just one? That's tough for a Leafs fan.

I'd NOT promote Dave 'status-quo' Nonis. If the team didn't want Brian Burke anymore, why hand the keys to his yes-man? Nonis did jack while in charge of the Leafs, and delayed any real rebuild while slowly making things worse. By not hiring him, the Leafs get a real direction (rebuild) faster, maybe in time for Kessel or Phaneuf to be useful. And they also avoid some giant mistakes like:

Signing David Clarkson
Trading for Jonathan Bernier
Declining a 1st rounder for Kulemin
Letting MacArthur walk

Just an entire failed era that could have been avoided.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's not my team, but a couple old transactions from 2008 that I like to cite as cautionary tales:

Through a couple trades, Anaheim turned pick #12 into #17, #35, and #39. I wish I could recall where I read/heard it, but apparently their primary target was Erik Karlsson. They thought they could trade down and still get Karlsson while adding a couple picks to replenish their farm system.

Ottawa then traded up from #18 to #15 to snipe Karlsson. Anaheim ended up with Jake Gardiner, Nic Deschamps, and Eric O'Dell. If Anaheim had stayed put and taken Karlsson, some of the "smart" fans would have made fun of them for reaching. I can't help but wonder if Karlsson could have helped some of those 2010s Ducks squads get over the hump.

-----

Tampa was fresh off from drafting Steven Stamkos #1 and they wanted a young proven NHL defender to grow with him. They identified Andrej Meszaros who was RFA. Ottawa didn't have a ton of cap room, so they were vulnerable to an offer sheet. It sounded like Tampa and Meszaros were ready to go that route, but Tampa previously traded away its 2009 3rd rounder which was required as compensation.

With training camp looming, Ottawa and Tampa instead made a standard trade which included San Jose's 1st instead of Tampa's. With hindsight, if Tampa was willing to give up its 1st+2nd+3rd for Meszaros, I would have been insistent on getting Tampa's 1st which ended up being the Victor Hedman pick. Hedman+Karlsson would have been a fun combo.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It has been said multiple times, but hiring Jim Benning is a cardinal sin.

There was a poster on the Canucks board - I think it was @Melvin ? Who simmed what a Canucks team with no GM, no scouts, and no free agency signings would look if they did nothing but draft BPA. It was miles better than the shitheap that Benning put together.

Keeping Gillis or running with no front office at all would be vastly preferable to the abomination that was Benning. f*** that guy.
Agreed. If we didn't have Benning, all his blunders wouldn't have happened :popcorn:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Minus the Dipietro signing? One of these
- trading the 2006 3rd round pick to Boston for a 4th and 5th - Boston selected Brad Marchand with it
- trading away Matt Moulson (plus a 1st and 2nd) for a few months of Thomas Vanek drop passes
- trading Carter Verhaghe for Kristers Gudlevskis
- drafting Michael Dal Colle, Griffen Reinhart, Josh Ho-Sang and Oliver Wahlstrom in the first round of their respective drafts.

Reactions: Axe Man

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sens, pick one:

Not constantly trading away 1st round picks during a rebuild for established players, then selling those same players for pennies on the dollar within a year.
Keep at least one of Bishop/Lehner
Draft Kopitar instead of Brian Lee
Extend Mark Stone instead of trading him for Brannstrom, and then not even qualifying Brannstrom a few years later
Avoid trading a 2nd for Stepan, 2nd, and Gruden for Matt Murray with the subsequent stinker of a contract for Murray
Trading DJ Zbad for an aging center whose best years were behind him
Not hiring Pierre Dorion
Duchene saga
Dadanov draft pick nonsense
Sign Alfredsson in his last year
Keep Chara instead of Redden
Allowing Hasek to play in the 2006 Olympics
Zaistev and C. Brown for Ceci was also terrible
  • We helped divisional rivals out of a MISERABLE cap hit
  • blocked development paths
  • spent 20M
  • Removed cap flexibility to take on "new scene"/upside projects
  • Removed cap flexibility to take bad cap in exchange for picks
  • We lost a player who wasn't good, but carried some value
  • At the end of 4 years and 20M, we had to pay more to dump him than we got for Brown.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad