Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Draft Quinn Hughes isntead of Kotkaniemi.

More realistically would be Brady Tkachuk, but I'd be happy with either instead of Kakaniemi.

HMs :

Don't do Drouin for Sergachev
Do not re-sign Gallagher
Do not hire Marc Bergevin
Do not trade Mcdonagh for Gomez
Draft Giroux instead of Fischer
I coukd go on

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
for the Avalanche my vote is to go back to the 2021 trade deadline, the season they fell short to Vegas, and trade for Josh Manson a year earlier (or a guy with similar defensive chops). In this wish I also say they never trade for Nemeth, who was horrible, and start Byram in the playoffs instead. That would absolutely be Colorado's second-best team in the cap era.

another alternative is to find a way to keep Forsberg and Foote during the lockout. The 05-06 Avalanche were good, not great, netting 95 points and winning a playoff round against the higher-seeded Stars. With those two guys that team looks a lot better, especially if they replace the corpses of Pierre Turgeon and Patrice Brisebois, and cause the Avalanche to be unable to trade for the lemon known as Jose Theodore.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I have nothing against Tavares and think he’s a fine player. I wish we didn’t sign him though and instead focus on other areas on the team. I really do believe we’d have better success than just one playoff series win to show for it.

Would I redo the Rask trade? Obviously in hindsight I would but I also think there’s a high chance we ruin Rask’s development. Something people need to take in consideration we these hindsight redo draft picks changes/trading prospects early.

The Kessel trade? Replace Kessel with Seguin during Kessel tenure here after 2010 draft and I honestly don’t see the leafs being any better. Not a guarantee we even use the other pick to select Dougie Hamilton. Not defending this trade and hindsight says redo it, but those leafs team were so horribly mismanaged that I don’t think these trades were make or break setting us back years as we were probably doomed for years anyways.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Prevent Marc Bergevin from coming anywhere near the team.

Close second : Sit Carey Price for the first game of the eastern finals in 2014.

Butterfly effect.

You think Roy's exit from Montreal was bad? Sit Carey Price - it leads to him and Therrien having a public falling out - Carey says "it's my last game as a Hab" and he gets traded to Toronto and goes onto lead Matthews into looking like a playoff hero and wins 6 cups with Toronto.

As a Habs fan who loves Carey - I'd still be happy for him lol.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Drafting Jake Bean when McAvoy was right there.

It’s staggering to think of what the Canes’ defensive group could have been if they drafted McAvoy. Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Faulk were already in the system and the first three on ELCs.
Hanifin-McAvoy
Slavin-Pesce
Whoever-Faulk

Man that would’ve been nasty

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
It has been said multiple times, but hiring Jim Benning is a cardinal sin.

There was a poster on the Canucks board - I think it was @Melvin ? Who simmed what a Canucks team with no GM, no scouts, and no free agency signings would look if they did nothing but draft BPA. It was miles better than the shitheap that Benning put together.

Keeping Gillis or running with no front office at all would be vastly preferable to the abomination that was Benning. f*** that guy.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Three for me for the Preds

Hated moving Fiala for Granlund.

Jones/Johansen and Weber/Subban could've been done in one move - Weber for Johansen.

We would've stayed younger, longer.
I'm going to go with one that may seem a bit crazy, but draft Getzlaf instead of Suter. The Weber/Suter era went no where anyway. It would be interesting to see where the team goes with a true top line center with size.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not signing Tavares.

Not that he's been a bad player for us, in fact the exact opposite but I think signing him to that deal is what caused a bunch of future cap issues with this team preventing them from improving past first round exit monsters.

In retrospect - a centre depth of Matthews, Kadri, Bozak was perfectly fine and that 11 million could've been used to fix other holes in the line-up at the time.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Noooooo way, Price was a fabulous pick.

The issue was failing to build a team around him.

Sure, but in this scenario you can only change one thing, they'd still build the team like crap. I'm just really sick of the Habs never having offensive star power. Never seen it in my lifetime. I couldn't even cheer for the 21 cup run because that team was utterly boring. I'd personally rather not win the cup in 100 years if you'd tell me I had to suffer through early 2000s devils hockey to win it. I'd rather have a fun regular season team like the 2000s caps, current avs and oilers, than win a cup based on defensive shutdown but I'm special that way.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not signing Tavares.

Not that he's been a bad player for us, in fact the exact opposite but I think signing him to that deal is what caused a bunch of future cap issues with this team preventing them from improving past first round exit monsters.

In retrospect - a centre depth of Matthews, Kadri, Bozak was perfectly fine and that 11 million could've been used to fix other holes in the line-up at the time.

I still think the Nylander deal may have done more harm than the Tavares deal.

Yes, he absolutely developed into being worth more than that deal, but that's what most star players do on second contracts. It's the way it was done... Nylander held out until the last second, Toronto was a Top 3 offense in the league without him, and Dubas still caved and signed him to more than his comparables had gotten.

That, to me, sent up the signals to Matthews and Marner (And their agents) that Dubas could get worked over easily.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Be willing to negotiate Danny Briere's contract in season back in 06-07 and extend him rather than refuse to negotiate in season and watch him walk.

The Sabres are on a completely different trajectory from that one move.

They never moved off of the three year offer. He would have taken four to stay even though Philly was offering five. Just offer the fourth year...

Reactions: Fearnot

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Draft Forsberg instead of Derrick Pouliot.
That’s it from a Pens POV.

I’m definitely not complaining, given the cups, and I don’t want to butterfly effect this into oblivion, but it’s hard not to wonder. Forsberg breaking through in around 2014 probably means
-the Neal trade still happens for Hornqvist,
-maybe the Kessel deal doesn’t come to pass, the Pens hang on to their futures and Kapanen, fwiw
-maybe FF becomes his own line driver to give that extra scoring threat. there would be no HBK but I’m guessing that would be offset by another talented line coming to together. Alternately, Forsberg gels in the top six with Malkin or Sid, and reels off multiple 50 goal seasons.

The Pens would still be able to chase their cups with a wing corps of Forsberg, Hornqvist, an emerging Rust and Guentzel, and a declining Kunitz. At that point, who knows if they win back to back, or if they get so bad that DB or Johnston are fired for Sullivan? But, Forsberg seemed like such a slam dunk choice at the 2012 draft, and Pouliot amounted to a bill of beans in the end. It’s just annoying that a great player slipped through our fingers when even any average fan could’ve made a better selection.

But again, can’t complain for a second how things worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: pi314

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Hard to estimate the trickle down effects, but picking Kopitar over Setoguchi was a big miss (and seemed like the obvious pick to fans at the time). Seto was included in the Burns deal, and I adore Brent Burns. Two years later, do we draft Couture (clear BPA) if we have a future top 6 C with a recent first. If you told me we'd still get Burns, I'd be particularly game. However, there's a scenario where we have Thornton and Kopitar, but no Burns or Couture.

A more obvious one is not signing Kane. We'd have gave up a 2nd instead of a 1st. In theory, it's possible we'd have gotten Karlsson, given up a late 1st instead and an early second instead of the Stuzle pick.

Also, any draft pick that gave us an elite RH d-man at any available spot would be an excellent addition. However, I think that may be SJ's development issue, so no guarantee a Fox-type would help us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad