Rumor: Red Wings looking at Ekblad

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So you want nobody?

Then you also want to complain that Yzerman did nothing.

Guy had the 3rd highest toi on a Stanley Cup winning team and you'd rather play holl maata and petry
I'm not going to complain if Yzerman does nothing. I'll complain if Yzerman adds bad contracts or moves assets for bad defenseman.

Reactions: odin1981

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It sure looks like they need RD. Kulikov is the only guy who looks like he plays on the right side. It just so happens we have Petry signed for one more year. I doubt they want him but the salary swap would net them just over $5 million in cap space.

My guess is they want to use Ekblad as a cap dump which is fine with me. They eat $2 million and get $5.5 million in cap relief. No idea what they would ask for in return.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not going to complain if Yzerman does nothing. I'll complain if Yzerman adds bad contracts or moves assets for bad defenseman.

I don't think Ekblad is a bad defenceman. Think he is fine, evolving-hockey estimations will show same caphit as Montour did get, on his next deal.

So he should be 6x7M guy to extend.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Looking on the main board, it sounds like Tarasenko wants to stay in Florida and is biding his time on a new contract. They also want to sign another d-man. They are tight on cap space, which may explain the interest in moving Ekblad.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Looking on the main board, it sounds like Tarasenko wants to stay in Florida and is biding his time on a new contract. They also want to sign another d-man. They are tight on cap space, which may explain the interest in moving Ekblad.
This is why we swoop in with a 2for1 special. Maatta/Holl + nothing dumb for Ekblad straight up. No retention needed as he's only $1M more than Maatta/Holl.

Reactions: Austrianwing

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Florida tries to extract a package that matches up with his cap hit, no way. The minute they ask for a first round pick, hang up the phone. Ekblad can't have that big of a market with one year left at a large cap hit.

If they want to just dump him and they can get a Holl back and say a lower level prospect with, then yes please.

This one comes down to price, plain and simple. No need to help the Champs out, who just happen to be in our division.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
You seem to believe the 3rd best dman on a Stanley Cup champion is a bad dman

Our third best dman is *checks notes*

Chiarot
Don't you think it's a little odd that if he's so good that they're moving off him?

Like if he was an absolute stud they wouldn't lock up Kulikov before addressing him right? They would work a way to keep him right?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Also, his life behind Seider would be much easier. 2nd pair matchups.

Not sure what QoC Ekblad faced this past season and I think his job in Detroit would be more difficult than in Florida, where their defensive system and quality C depth helps all of their D, but he wouldn't get the toughest assignments in Detroit and his TOI might also go down a little. I'm mostly looking at it from a different angle. Seider's great rookie season coincided with a lot of things, but one of them was the best 2RD the Wings have had since Mo showed up. Ekblad, despite his obvious decline, is still a better defensive defenseman than Hronek. A second pair that can even a little bit reduce the ridiculous defensive workload Seider has to carry, cutting his d-zone starts from over 60 per cent to closer to 55 per cent for starters, would give him more opportunity to contribute offensively.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Their biggest problem is re-signing Lundell, who will automaticly eat some cap space.

Lundell is gonna get 4.4M with a bridge for almost sure. That will leave 2M for another player for defence, and their roster would be full.

Trading Ekblad would open the cap space for 9.5M. And it could be used for 2 missing defencemen. Package Chiarot+Holl. :D

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I’d take him in a heartbeat over Trouba but the question is at what coast? They’re going to want a very good prospect and a high pick to even start talks. If they retain or take any salary back they’ll want a second prospect. Like:

Kasper
ASP
2025 2nd

Ekblad 40% retained

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Don't you think it's a little odd that if he's so good that they're moving off him?

Like if he was an absolute stud they wouldn't lock up Kulikov before addressing him right? They would work a way to keep him right?
Or they need they cap relief, he provides it, so he's the odd man out.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not sure what QoC Ekblad faced this past season and I think his job in Detroit would be more difficult than in Florida, where their defensive system and quality C depth helps all of their D, but he wouldn't get the toughest assignments in Detroit and his TOI might also go down a little. I'm mostly looking at it from a different angle. Seider's great rookie season coincided with a lot of things, but one of them was the best 2RD the Wings have had since Mo showed up. Ekblad, despite his obvious decline, is still a better defensive defenseman than Hronek. A second pair that can even a little bit reduce the ridiculous defensive workload Seider has to carry, cutting his d-zone starts from over 60 per cent to closer to 55 per cent for starters, would give him more opportunity to contribute offensively.
It depends on the cost, obviously but this would be a good starting point for a pretty solid top 4.

X - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad